U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 07:06 PM

7,127 posts, read 11,832,300 times

Advertisements

I believe in the broken window theory.

This isn't proof, exactly, but here's an analysis done by some Stern School students
https://files.nyu.edu/arb384/public/

it says:
It is very clear that in many of the plots there is an obvious positive linear relationship indicating that higher number of incidents of graffiti are associated with higher number of incidents of crime. This empirical result is absolutely consistent with "Broken Window Theory."

You have to click the link to see the graphs.

and btw, I do not think that the mere presence of graffiti in an area means that it is unsafe. I've certainly been in plenty of areas with graffiti that have been perfectly safe for me. But I do think that there is a correlation between graffiti and crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 09:14 PM

423 posts, read 766,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I beg to differ. Graffiti isn't everywhere in NY. It may be in many places in NY but it's not in every neighborhood. Certainly not in the same amounts even in the many neighborhoods where it exists. The only reason it isn't in every neighborhood is because in some areas the residents or business owners will not stand for it. The graffiti is cleaned off and warnings are put in place, such as notices, that deter people from vandalizing by stating the perpetrator(s) will be caught, prosecuted, and issued fines or given jail time. If not, then name some "good neighborhoods" that have excessive graffiti all over the place?
Sunset Park. The crime rate is relatively low but graffiti is EVERYWHERE.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:39 PM

5,095 posts, read 11,783,805 times
Washington Heights has a relatively low crime rate and it's the most graffiti ridden community I've ever seen.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:41 PM

6,596 posts, read 11,350,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I beg to differ. Graffiti isn't everywhere in NY. It may be in many places in NY but it's not in every neighborhood. Certainly not in the same amounts even in the many neighborhoods where it exists. The only reason it isn't in every neighborhood is because in some areas the residents or business owners will not stand for it. The graffiti is cleaned off and warnings are put in place, such as notices, that deter people from vandalizing by stating the perpetrator(s) will be caught, prosecuted, and issued fines or given jail time. If not, then name some "good neighborhoods" that have excessive graffiti all over the place?
I agree with this completely.There is graffiti in almost every neighborhood for sure but when you enter one of the hoods where it is almost everywhere and buildings are covered with it including windows and front doors and building vestibules you know you are in a really,really bad neighborhood.And they are almost always very high crime neighborhoods.

In my neighborhood( Bronx) there is graffiti around here and there but not much and a lot of it disappears within a few days . People call the graffiti complaint hot line quickly and it's gone or supers or homeowners clean it up themselves.It is a low crime neighborhood.
When I go to the bad sections of The Bronx or Harlem that's where I see it all over the place.
There is definitely a correlation.
The only neighborhood that I have seen is an exception is Williamsburg which has tons of graffiti but is pretty safe.But it is an exception to the rule in my book.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:46 PM

6,596 posts, read 11,350,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
Sunset Park. The crime rate is relatively low but graffiti is EVERYWHERE.
RELATIVE being the operative word. Relative to Brownsville or ENY or even Bed Stuy maybe but I wouldn't call sunset Park a low crime neighborhood.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:19 PM
DAS

2,276 posts, read 3,726,522 times
I was around this area today, and was wondering how the OP is adjusting to the area since it has been about a month since the first post.

It was early before noon when I was around, so it was mostly the neighborhood people out and about on a sunny day. I think that this area is officially part of Manhattanville section. It is very lively, alot of stores on Bway, and 134th bet Amsterdam and Bway seemed pretty quiet, at least at that time. I remember when the #6 train looked like it did in the original version of "The Taking of Pelham 123" so by my standards the graffiti seemed pretty tame from looking at the exteriors of the buildings. Most of it seemed to be on the lower part of the commercial properties coming around from Bway.

The area seems pretty diverse now, still mostly Dominican, with a good number of young White people sitting on the steps of the buildings they live in, and few were riding bikes around. One rider was young woman. The ones riding bikes, were riding the type of bikes a person would ride when living in the neighborhood, and dress in clothing that a person would wear riding in their neighborhood, not the way a cyclist looks that is riding for a long distance and just riding through the neighborhood. It is just my opinion, and granted it was daytime but a person has to feel pretty comfortable to ride a slow bicycle through a neighborhood.

It is not the suburbs, it is uptown Manhattan, but overall it just seems like a lively and and convenient area. The most noise I heard at that time of day was when I passed by the Annunciation Catholic school's yard at recess time.

I hope the OP gives an update.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:22 AM

5,095 posts, read 11,783,805 times
I will say this.

You were there a little early and that is why you found it ok. If you go in the afternoon, say 5-ish, you see rowdy high school kids on the corners. They're either by the Chinese take-out, the Crown Fried Chicken, or La Palma restaraunt. Those kids are there looking for trouble. They tried getting into it with me but thankfully nothing happened. I really do not like that area (specifically Amsterdam). I also see what looks to be drug dealers on the residential blocks. Of course if you go in the morning, you won't encounter any of this. But take it from me, I've been in this area daily for the past 4 years. It's not a safe block, it's just not. I haven't gone towards Broadway so I am just talking about the block of Amsterdam across the school.

And it may be majority Dominican but I wouldn't say by much. There are alot of African Americans there too. I'd say about 35%.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:14 AM
DAS

2,276 posts, read 3,726,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I will say this.

You were there a little early and that is why you found it ok. If you go in the afternoon, say 5-ish, you see rowdy high school kids on the corners. They're either by the Chinese take-out, the Crown Fried Chicken, or La Palma restaraunt. Those kids are there looking for trouble. They tried getting into it with me but thankfully nothing happened. I really do not like that area (specifically Amsterdam). I also see what looks to be drug dealers on the residential blocks. Of course if you go in the morning, you won't encounter any of this. But take it from me, I've been in this area daily for the past 4 years. It's not a safe block, it's just not. I haven't gone towards Broadway so I am just talking about the block of Amsterdam across the school.

And it may be majority Dominican but I wouldn't say by much. There are alot of African Americans there too. I'd say about 35%.
I'll take your word for it. Like I stated, and you have noted, it was early. I didn't see many African Americans around, and there are many Dominican owned and operated businesses in the area. But of course in Manhattan if you are in a majority Latin neighborhood, there will usually be some Black residents as well, and vice versa.

With a HS around I'm sure there many teens of different backgrounds around there. You are still young, so you may not look much older than the teens, and they may start something with you, I don't know. I'm glad nothing happened though. There are always some knuckleheads around. Those high schools around there have good reputations, A. Phillip Randolph Campus HS and CCNY HS for Math, Science and Engineering. Both schools have joint programs with CCNY, with the latter also a specialized HS.

I hope that the OP gives us an update, because the OP has to come home after midnight. I also agree with some other posters that people should check out other areas in other boros, before just settling in any neighborhood just because it is Manhattan.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 987 times
Maybe YOU oughta learn how to SPELL "Kansas" !

Old 09-14-2012, 08:40 PM

7,127 posts, read 11,832,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane harmon View Post
Maybe YOU oughta learn how to SPELL "Kansas" !
OK, we will try to get it right next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City