Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2013, 08:52 PM

6 posts, read 6,843 times

Advertisements

My three friends and I had been looking for an apartment in the city for a few weeks when we eventually found one we liked on the upper west side. We all paid a $150 application fee each on the 10th of July. We were told that once we had a guarantor/s who combined made 65 times the rent we could sign the lease. our first fell through but we submitted two guarantor applications on the 17th of July. We were then told that one of our guarantors did not have a credit rating and could not be used. Instead two of us would have to pay 6 months back rent up front. We agreed to this Today the 23rd of July our guarantor called up and was told that we could sign the lease tomorrow as both guarantors had been accepted. We have about 30 emails asking for different information including those that said that our guarantors had not been accepted.
That would all be fine except they are now (after Mod cut: Inappropriate language. us around for two weeks) they want $1300 prorate for the days since. We were never told about a prorate and nothing was mentioned throughout our contact with them. The part I don't understand is why they kept putting us through hoops when we had everything we needed last week.
Are they just trying the screw us for money?
Is it a just a scam?

We are also all Irish over in NYC for the year and feel that they are just trying to scam us. We have to meet them tomorrow so any help people could give us on the matter would be very much appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 09:06 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,999,611 times
This is not understandable. $1300 is for how long? for the time before today 7/23 or after?

Old 07-23-2013, 09:11 PM

basically 100 dollars a day ie from 11th of july till 24th july. rent is 3100 per month. But at no stage was it mentioned that this was the case and we had all relevant information on the 17th of july but they neglected to tell us guarantors from the 17th had been accepted until today.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:21 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,999,611 times
They are trying to get you in deep so you feel like you have a lot to lose by walking away. What dirtbags.

So I assume they presented you a contract that starts on July 10, not July 24 or later.

No one wants to pay for time when they didn't live there.

Since you say you have been looking, and probably were looking for these last 2 weeks because you didn't know if this would work, I would go back to those other alternatives and tell this landlord to fuc k off.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:27 PM

Basically they told us we owe 6200 plus 1300 for the apartment. today is the first day they mentioned the 1300. oh no we are most definitely going to tell them where they can stick it, the best way Irish people do, but the reason for this post is to get peoples reactions about if this is a genuine scam or normal NYC letting. they have 450 of our money. granted not very much but on principal we want to know if they've broken any laws or anything! in Ireland I would have just sued them already for false advertisement. hence this kind of what i would describe as bullying as on their part just doesn't happen in Ireland

Old 07-24-2013, 07:11 AM

466 posts, read 901,632 times
I'm confused... is this apartment in the West Village or in the Upper West Side? They're different places and are over two miles apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City