Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2010, 08:25 AM

11 posts, read 24,921 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I'm currently living in London and have just been promoted in my company which entails moving across to NYC (our offices are on 5th Avenue).

I've been doing research on apartments and nice, safe places to stay (craiglists.com etc)- but would welcome recommendations. I'm 25 years old and moving on my own, my budget is approx $1,500 a month.

Many thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 09:20 AM

749 posts, read 2,455,242 times
It depends where on 5th Ave you'll be working, but if you work in the 50s, Astoria, Queens would be perfect for you. It is safe, with lots of young professionals, lots of amenities and you can get a large (for NY), modern 1 bedroom for $1500. You can take the train from Astoria to 59th and 5th in about 15 minutes. If you want to live in the city, you'll likely have to find a roommate or live in a very small studio in Yorkville far from the already congested 4/5/6 train.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:43 PM

Thanks for your help. The office address is '420 Fifth Avenue' not sure whether this would change your recommendation?

Old 04-17-2010, 06:36 PM

749 posts, read 2,455,242 times
You would just have to stay on the same train (N, R or W) for 5 more minutes and get off at Times Square 42nd and 7th and walk a couple blocks to 39th and 5th. The key to living in New York is having only 1 train or bus ride from home to work. Transferring trains, climbing long flights of stairs, waiting for trains, dealing with crowds etc is a pain in the neck after awhile. You should definitely look in Astoria, it's cheaper than the city, very safe, bigger and nicer apartments, diverse, best food, trendy bars and outdoor cafes etc. I actually prefer to hang out on 30th Ave, Broadway, Steinway etc before hanging out in the city. In fact if I could work in Queens, I'd probably only go to into the city a couple times a month just like any other tourist, lol.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:29 AM

Great, thanks for your help

Old 04-18-2010, 10:40 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,938,397 times
Sunnyside and Woodside would be ideal...right over the 59 st bridge or the mid town tunnel via taxi Train you have the number 7 be in Grand Central in less then 15 mins.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,633 times
Cool Did you find anything?

Hi,

I'm taking a few months off work in London to move to New york maybe travel a bit but not sure.
So i have friends in New york and stuff but i want to do some voluntary work, how did you find moving to NYC, i love the city but i've only ever been for 1 or 2 weeks at a time.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:23 PM

127 posts, read 507,221 times
I hate astoria. its not as safe as everyone makes it out to be.
there were 3 homicides around 3 blocks of my house. If you dont believe me look at the nyc homicide map at 36st just past the tri-borough bridge.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:13 PM

4 posts, read 8,161 times
Hiya Mastap150 - i know im a bit late, but i've just joined this site. I was interested in what kind if work you do or what company you work for, if you at liberty to say so. I am desperate to move to NYC but dont have a clue where to start. I have visited my cousin (in NJ) many times and stayed in Bronx with friends and love it, but now I want to move, i'm stuck.
I have just completed a 3yr Bachelors degree in Criminology/Psychology so would prefer to work for a non profit such as Covenant House. In any event i came on here to get advise, saw your ad, and wondered where u worked? or should i say who you worked for...

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City