Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 04:07 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Stereo View Post
Bystander, or "Kitty Genovese" effect.
i learned that in high school, it was a video presentation..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 06:29 PM

169 posts, read 489,902 times
A few years back...on the train....a person was having ...it looked like a seizure...and the guy was well dressed. Noone went to help him. Wrong, one person went up to him..I had just walked onto the train.....and the look of indifference on the peoples' faces was strange

Old 04-24-2010, 06:40 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Stereo View Post
Bystander, or "Kitty Genovese" effect.

Her's was even worse -- if that's possible. To this day, I still find it hard to believe that people did nothing to help a woman they heard screaming; and witnessed being stabbed to death.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:13 PM

966 posts, read 2,445,737 times
Ditto, the Kitty Genovese effect. Sad state of affairs. Not surprising though. I remember once becoming very ill from breathing a ton of disinfectant on the train platform and no one--I mean no one--even attempting to help. People stared at me as if they were hoping I wasn't contagious or hoping I would disappear. Enough said. This is one downside of this beautiful city. Is it getting worse, the apathy or this collective decision to never get involved?

Old 04-24-2010, 09:39 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Such a sad ending, for a heroic gentleman. I can see how people are indifferent to the needs of others around them, especially since some are actually afraid that someone who appears to be passed out could be lying in wait to attack them.

Then again, I have a very early childhood memory of coming to the aid of someone when I was with my uncle one day, so I do tend to err on the side of offering assistance, or calling for assistance.

I don't presume to judge any of the passers-by, save for the gruesome people with the cell phone camera, as that would have been in exceedingly poor taste even if the gentleman had been passed out from the excesses of a particular lifestyle. In certain countries, the duty to call for assistance is legally mandated, such as Switzerland, France, and Germany, among others.

Regarding the Kitty Genovese case, I thought that the facts surrounding the number of witnesses, and lack of action, had been revealed to have been exaggerated by the media, from an article I read. Here's a link to the article: http://www.psych.lancs.ac.uk/people/uploads/MarkLevine20070604T095238.pdf (broken link), which I think was published in American Psychologist.

The examination of that case shows that we should not judge others by media-induced hysteria, since it's impossible to know what said people thought/heard/saw during the event -- and how each of us would react in a similar circumstance. Moreover, I think it also shows that we all should remember these tragic incidents when confronted with the real possibility of someone in need. Nearly everyone carries a cell phone, and can call for assistance in a few seconds, at no cost to themselves.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-25-2010, 06:55 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I am not going to to judge most of those passersby because of the many times I have walked by what I presumed to be passed-out drunk or on-drugs homeless men or women in the city and have not called 911.

I can't believe that other New Yorkers are not finding themselves in similar situations. Is everyone on here saying they have NEVER passed by someone disheveled and dirty lying down somewhere on a sidewalk who appears to be passed out? Or is everyone saying that they have passed people like this and that they called 911 every time?

I don't know what was going on with the picture-taking and the person going by shaking the guy, but for the rest of the passersby who minded their own business, it really doesn't surprise me or make me think these people are "disgusting."

Of course if I knew someone had been injured and needed an ambulance, I would call, but it is not clear to me from the dark and grainy surveillance video that this man's injuries were obvious to the people walking by.
i agree with you.....but 1 ******* actually turned him over twice and saw blood and left....how much energy does it take to call 911?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-25-2010, 10:26 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
The woman he saved has yet to be identified. Was certainly nice of her to help the man who probably saved her life.
That was kinda' my thoughts, too. She probably fled like a bag outa' hell when the man intervened; however, why hasn't she stepped up to the plate to give a description to the police?

Also, if someone had the balls to STOP for a few minutes to call 9-1-1 right away AND stay by him, he may not only be alive, but able to describe the attacker.

It's just . . . WRONG!

Old 04-26-2010, 05:31 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Looks like the final episode of Seinfeld is the true face of NYC

Old 04-26-2010, 07:09 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Unfortunately these are the type of things that get ingrained in people's heads about NYC and NooYowkurs...

Old 04-27-2010, 10:06 AM

961 posts, read 2,464,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Unfortunately these are the type of things that get ingrained in people's heads about NYC and NooYowkurs...
As I said in another post, this type of thing happens elsewhere, but NY is always highlighted for such nihlism. Everybody needs a "badguy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: