U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 09:54 AM

5 posts, read 18,621 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how's the neighborhood in Cypress Hill? I am thinking about getting a house and as half investment/half self-use property. Does anyone think the neighborhood had improved in recent years, the location that I am looking at is near J/Z Norwood station. any advice would be greatly appreciated. On a side note, is Ozone Park area better than this area?
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 10:05 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,245,123 times
Cypress Hills is one of the better sections of ENY, but it's still the hood. If you're not used to that kind of neighborhood, I'm not sure if you want to move there. Ozone Park is definitely a much safer neighborhood. Crime in NYC has improved over the last decade, but it's still important to use caution in certain neighborhoods.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:36 AM

Thank you. I have visited the area couple times, it seems better compare to areas in ENY like near Pitkin//Euclid Ave. Do you know if there's any good elementary school near the area? Is it mostly Hispanic and blacks in the neighborhood?

Old 04-26-2010, 05:34 PM

2,240 posts, read 2,779,246 times
Cypress Hills is hit and miss. North side would be better than the south side of CH. However, it's still the "hood" like mentioned before.
Go to the actual spot you are looking at and get a feel for the block and surrounding blocks.
Everyone's tolerence for hoodness is different.
I spent many years in Woodhaven, Qns as a kid...and we used to venture to Cypress Hills to visit our friends from school.
Never had any issues there.

Ozone Park is in Queens and much safer...but more expensive also.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:35 PM

Thank you for the insights. I am still trying to decide, hopefully i will hear more from others.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:30 AM

965 posts, read 2,174,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yl.emarket View Post
Thank you. I have visited the area couple times, it seems better compare to areas in ENY like near Pitkin//Euclid Ave. Do you know if there's any good elementary school near the area? Is it mostly Hispanic and blacks in the neighborhood?
I got a friend who lives on Crescent ave north of Fulton, its mostly Hispanic and black, hispanic being the larger group. He lives there with his pregnant girlfriend, a hipster black girl and a gay black dude. They don't have any problems coming home at night, however South of Fulton may be another story. CH has some okay pockets and some bad ones, its the hood but its not as dangerous as the areas surrounding it. Not sure about the quality of the elementary schools though, if you're one of those parents who can get involved with your kids teachers and education it may work out. But why not go just a little further over the border into Ozone Park?

Old 04-28-2010, 11:41 AM

It's mainly because of the price of the house and the location seems pretty convenient. I am looking into Ozone Park as well, hopefully I have the luck to find something that is affordable.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:15 PM

196 posts, read 438,739 times
Great group. Their first album was a staple of early '90's Hip-H...........oh wait, you're talking about the Brookyln neighborhood? Sorry, can't help you there.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:12 PM

965 posts, read 2,174,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Stereo View Post
Great group. Their first album was a staple of early '90's Hip-H...........oh wait, you're talking about the Brookyln neighborhood? Sorry, can't help you there.
^ LOL, you're ridiculous, but no, not the Soul Assassins.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:24 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,278,604 times
I've been to Cypress Hills several times and although people always say how it's the hood, it's really not that bad. You will see a crazy story about people getting stabbed at a house party or something every once in a while, but I assume you're not going to be hanging out anywhere where this has a possibility of happening. If you're a driver, be aware of the monster potholes that are all over the place. It's mainly Hispanic in the north part, and you'll see a lot of people hanging out on their stoops, and having fun, just like anyplace else. The one bad thing I will say though is that the neighborhood feels kinda dirty, but that might just be me. I would say Ozone Park is definitely a better neighborhood, but in terms of affordability, I'm sure you can get a steal in Cypress Hills since no one is really moving there. Check it out for yourself, and see what you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or