U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 01:16 PM

10,526 posts, read 11,369,499 times

Advertisements

roommates and live in queens/bronx/brooklyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 06:48 PM

719 posts, read 1,500,409 times
Do it while you're young and you have nothing to lose. But keep in mind, you won't be competitive if you don't at least have a college degree and a couple of years experience.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:29 PM

13 posts, read 14,844 times
Exactly!! I understand I wont have much...But Shouldnt I do it when im young?? What do you want me to do??? Go when Im 40??? The way I look at it...If things dont work out...Well ok I am only 18...But if things work out I have so much to gain..Its the greatest city in the world...I dont want to lose the chance to spend the rest of my life there...

Old 04-28-2010, 09:47 PM

905 posts, read 1,865,191 times
Quote:
In spite of what "everybody says," there are eight million people who call New York City home, and don't worry about it: the vast majority of us aren't filthy rich, or trust-fund babies. So it must be possible to live here.
This.

Quote:
I agree money is not everything, but you do need money to put a roof over your head, food in your mouth and clothes on your back. If you have no means of earning enough money to do at least that, I think it's pretty irresponsible to tell someone to just come here and figure it out when they have little or no job skills, experience, education and especially if they have nobody here to help them if they can't make it.
And this.

Contrary notions? No. Most people who live in New York, believe it or not, are not people who came here from Middle America with a dollar and a dream. Their parents were here. Their grandparents were here. Their friends and family are here, and always have been. Its home to them, kind of like Wichita is home to some people and Boise is home to some people and Mobile is home to some people. That's really it.

The people who do come here from elsewhere typically are educated and have some reason to be here aside from simply "I want to live in New York." That's not to say that they are all making oodles of money, or have trust funds - most aren't, and most don't. But they do have some career-oriented reason to be here, usually. I'd guess there are some people who just show up without an education and any real ambition aside from being in New York, but they are probably very few and far between.

You're 18. Go to college, get an education, get an idea of what you want to do with your life, then move to New York. You'll like it more in your twenties, anyway.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:14 AM

10,526 posts, read 11,369,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangexBlue View Post
Exactly!! I understand I wont have much...But Shouldnt I do it when im young?? What do you want me to do??? Go when Im 40??? The way I look at it...If things dont work out...Well ok I am only 18...But if things work out I have so much to gain..Its the greatest city in the world...I dont want to lose the chance to spend the rest of my life there...
Go to college first, then go. You'll be in a much better situation.

The best time to do this is when you're young, but PLEASE go to college first. At 18, it will be incredibly difficult to get a job that will even provide you with basic money to have a roof over your head and eat.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:52 AM

Thanks for all the ideas...What do you think about college in NYC??

Old 04-29-2010, 05:55 PM

3,287 posts, read 3,459,466 times
Can you afford college in NYC? What about living expenses? You still need food, clothing and shelter, PLUS out-of-state tuition.

Get your Bachelor's where you are not, then consider the move.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:07 PM

82 posts, read 211,560 times
Quote:
Im turning 18 pretty soon and plan on moving to NYC
You are not even 18, don't you have parents to discuss such an important issue? Do you trust strangers -- who couldn't care less about what you decide to do -- more?
Many people are very successful in making numerous mistakes until the age of 30, and very unsuccessful in fixing them for the rest of their lives. Seek good advice from trustworthy people before making stupid decisions

Old 04-30-2010, 11:17 AM

Ok this is my final post...I have devised a plan...Tell me what you think...Im going to stay here 3 more years and work on a degree...While Im doing this I will work a part time job...And I have a friend who I have known my whole life...One of my best friends...He said we could move together...Split everything down the middle...Oh and I will be saving up all my money from my job...

Old 04-30-2010, 01:28 PM

470 posts, read 750,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangexBlue View Post
Ok this is my final post...I have devised a plan...Tell me what you think...Im going to stay here 3 more years and work on a degree...While Im doing this I will work a part time job...And I have a friend who I have known my whole life...One of my best friends...He said we could move together...Split everything down the middle...Oh and I will be saving up all my money from my job...
I think its a good start. Concentrate more on your education than on your part time job, because that is what is going to make you more money in the long run. Finish your bachelors degree which will be 4 years not 3. Maybe by the time you get here the job market will pick up and you will find a job easily.

I hope your friend also has a degree or some way to make money otherwise you will be responsible for his rent if you share an apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City