U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 01:01 PM

142 posts, read 233,447 times
I just moved from ATL and now I live in Astoria Queens. It's peaceful, safe and affordable. Plus it's only 25 mins away from midtown.

It's possible, the only down is that you just have to be creative and prepare yourself for the costs that come with moving to a city that's a logistical nightmare. Moving costs and plane tickets can add up. Make sure you plan everything out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
They live in Queens.

It's possible to live in New York, it's just not possible to live in prime Manhattan. The problem is, when many people dream of moving to New York, they fantasize about living in Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 01:01 PM

16 posts, read 38,600 times
i was talking to a guy working a $10 an hour job here, probably came to NY to be an actor or artist or something, lives in crown heights in some semi-hipster place, probably lives with a bunch of roommates, probably goes out a couple of times a week and tries to stretch his $, but since most of his buddies are probably also waiting tables or working retail, they're all in the same boat and broke. when you're young and just looking to have fun and maybe make some "dream" a reality, who cares?

Old 04-30-2010, 02:29 PM

118 posts, read 196,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
They live in Queens.
They live with their parents.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:47 PM

19,465 posts, read 14,990,655 times
I used to fantasize about living in the Manhattan area of New York but for the past 2 years i've been having to be there on business 4 to 5 times a year and i've changed my mind about living in Manhattan, i now find it noisy,crowded,dirty and expensive,and oh yeah noisy, whats with all the cabbies and their damn car horns?.Just got back from 4 days just off Times Square the noise and crowds are never ending and i hope i will never have to go there again.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:16 PM

44 posts, read 9,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I used to fantasize about living in the Manhattan area of New York but for the past 2 years i've been having to be there on business 4 to 5 times a year and i've changed my mind about living in Manhattan, i now find it noisy,crowded,dirty and expensive,and oh yeah noisy, whats with all the cabbies and their damn car horns?.Just got back from 4 days just off Times Square the noise and crowds are never ending and i hope i will never have to go there again.

Do people who dream of living in New York dream of living in Times Sqaure? LOL.

It's funny how people come to NYC and think the entire Manhattan is a business district like Midtown since they apparently confine themselves to Midtown/Times Square tourist traps.

Try residential neighborhoods i.e. Tribeca, West Village, Greenwich Village, Battery Park City, UES/UWS etc. Nice, quiet and much better than anything in dumpy Montreal.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:41 AM

I'm sure there are nicer neighborhoods in NYC and maybe i'll get to them one day but for the moment i'm talking about the areas i've stayed in for a few days, areas bounded by Battery Park to the south, Hudson river to the west ,5th ave to the east and 56st to the north,Am i wrong in my assessment of the area being noisy,crowded expensive and in some areas somewhat run down?
Now what parts of Montreal are you familiar enough with to call dumpy?

Old 05-01-2010, 10:47 AM

31 posts, read 4,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm sure there are nicer neighborhoods in NYC and maybe i'll get to them one day but for the moment i'm talking about the areas i've stayed in for a few days, areas bounded by Battery Park to the south, Hudson river to the west ,5th ave to the east and 56st to the north,Am i wrong in my assessment of the area being noisy,crowded expensive and in some areas somewhat run down?
Now what parts of Montreal are you familiar enough with to call dumpy?
Hells Kitchen?

Sounds like it since you were in Times Square area, Midtown West.

But Hells Kitchen is nowhere near Baytery Park. There is nowhere run down near Batter Park so I doubt you were there. BP is new beautiful
and pretty exclusive.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR85 View Post
Hells Kitchen?

Sounds like it since you were in Times Square area, Midtown West.

But Hells Kitchen is nowhere near Baytery Park. There is nowhere run down near Batter Park so I doubt you were there. BP is new beautiful
and pretty exclusive.
We are talking many visits over several years not just one trip, most recent visit we were located at the Travel Inn on 42nd st.Hells kitchen? we visited the Aircraft Carrier while the kids were at a concert at Terminal 5
Battery Park? on a previous trip we walked around the park and then took the Staten island ferry.Then took the kids to another concert in the Highline Ballroom in Chelsea's Meat packing district' We stayed at the Chelsea Hotel and i found 23rd and 8th ave district not bad although somewhat crowded.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:08 PM

13 posts, read 17,178 times
Am i wrong in my assessment of the area being noisy,crowded expensive and in some areas somewhat run down?
-------

Its most definately is crowded and noisy in NYC. BUT, that's what many people love about it. You have to be in that frame of mind and in that time period of your life. As far as expensive goes, that's relative to your paycheck and how much space you're willing to live in.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:46 AM

8,307 posts, read 9,899,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangexBlue View Post
Ok this is my final post...I have devised a plan...Tell me what you think...Im going to stay here 3 more years and work on a degree...While Im doing this I will work a part time job...And I have a friend who I have known my whole life...One of my best friends...He said we could move together...Split everything down the middle...Oh and I will be saving up all my money from my job...
Thats a good idea & i hope you stick to your plan. Work hard & save what you can. Maybe you can get a feel of nyc & visit it within the next few yrs. Just dont waste your money on expensive lodging & food. Anything is possible when you're young. I would someday like to visit nyc but i would never want to live in the eastern us again. Good-luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City