Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 09:55 AM

13 posts, read 23,454 times

Advertisements

Ok....my question is....Everyone says you have to have a boat Load of money to make it here!! I want nothing more than to live in NYC but what does the working man do here??? I have not live there yet...But according to what everyone says if you dont make 100 k a year your screwed......What about the guy who works at the bank?? Or the guy that works at the fast food place! What about them!! What do they do??? And witch area should I live in if im trying to save money?? I was thinking brooklyn..(Im turning 18 pretty soon and plan on moving to NYC) Thanks for all the answers!

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-26-2010 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: Language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 10:10 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,295,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangexBlue View Post
What about them!! What do they do???
They live in Queens.

It's possible to live in New York, it's just not possible to live in prime Manhattan. The problem is, when many people dream of moving to New York, they fantasize about living in Manhattan.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:35 AM

917 posts, read 2,948,104 times
They also don't have cool lifestyles. You go to work, then you either go home or go to your second job. I've always worked two jobs, but one of them is my dream job, so it's not as exhausting as my day job (which fortunately is only part time). I don't really go out partying or do expensive things and before I lived with my BF, I had a pretty crappy room in a pretty crappy apartment in a not great (but not terrible) neighborhood.

You can survive making less money, but it's not as fun and you won't be going out every night. When you aren't making a lot of money, it's not all that different from living anywhere else because it's harder to take advantage of all the things that make this city great (due to a lack of time and money). I survive here on $20K a year, but I have a partner who makes a lot more than me and pays for most of our entertainment. Without him, I'd rarely do more than work and sleep.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:42 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
In spite of what "everybody says," there are eight million people who call New York City home, and don't worry about it: the vast majority of us aren't filthy rich, or trust-fund babies. So it must be possible to live here.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:48 AM

13 posts, read 23,454 times
I know man!! That was exactly my thought when people tell me its impossible to live here!!! 8.7 million people do it and 98 percent of them are not rich...There is really nothing at New York for me...But its a dream...And when im 60 years old I do not want to look back at life and say...What if I would have just done it...And i understand how I will be living but its worth not having any regrets.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:00 AM

917 posts, read 2,948,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangexBlue View Post
I know man!! That was exactly my thought when people tell me its impossible to live here!!! 8.7 million people do it and 98 percent of them are not rich...There is really nothing at New York for me...But its a dream...And when im 60 years old I do not want to look back at life and say...What if I would have just done it...And i understand how I will be living but its worth not having any regrets.
It's not too bad to be poor when you're young- that's why I moved here at 24. However, I wouldn't want to live the way I did when I first moved here when I have a family. It's also harder to do without a college education because there aren't as many good jobs. As long as you understand that you won't be living a Sex & the City or Friends lifestyle, you can live here without being super rich. However, a lot of people want to move here because they think they'll get a great job, earn a lot of money, live in a cool apartment and go out every night. That is not the reality of most New Yorkers- most New Yorkers live in modest apartments in outer boros, only go out on special occasions, and work normal jobs to come home to their families.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:12 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,295,470 times
The real question to ask yourself is: Why do you want to live in New York and is it worth it? Even the rich make sacrifices (in space and convenience) to live here.

To use your earlier example, I don't see the point of moving to New York to work in a fast food place. If you're not pursuing a New-York-centric career, you'll have a much better standard of living elsewhere.

There are other compensations, of course, but it's a personal decision.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:41 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaTado View Post
......... However, a lot of people want to move here because they think they'll get a great job, earn a lot of money, live in a cool apartment and go out every night.....
OMG,what was wrong with me ? I never thought or expected any of that.Maybe that's why it never happened ? Oh,well.I'm perfectly happy anyway.Still here,no regrets.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:14 AM

403 posts, read 1,394,378 times
The problem is you are all making MONEY the be all end all as to why someone should make life choices and follow their dreams. What a shame. Follow your heart, have faith, work hard. Amazing things happen. Sometimes it takes being down and out with 20 bucks to your name to realize what truly matters. You don't want to be 60 and regretful. We only get one shot, live it.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:41 AM

477 posts, read 1,406,609 times
I agree money is not everything, but you do need money to put a roof over your head, food in your mouth and clothes on your back. If you have no means of earning enough money to do at least that, I think it's pretty irresponsible to tell someone to just come here and figure it out when they have little or no job skills, experience, education and especially if they have nobody here to help them if they can't make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City