Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 06:11 PM

40 posts, read 61,782 times

Advertisements

Is anyone having issues with the heat??? I have set the thermostat to 80 and even 85 degrees, but we never feel that it is warming up. They have come to look at it and say it works properly, but I don't feel that it is. We never feel really warm air coming out of the vents no matter how high the temperature is set. Was wondering if anyone else is having this problem. What do you keep your thermostats on and do you feel that it is warm in your apartments? Thank you for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 06:20 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Connect View Post
Is anyone having issues with the heat??? I have set the thermostat to 80 and even 85 degrees, but we never feel that it is warming up. They have come to look at it and say it works properly, but I don't feel that it is. We never feel really warm air coming out of the vents no matter how high the temperature is set. Was wondering if anyone else is having this problem. What do you keep your thermostats on and do you feel that it is warm in your apartments? Thank you for your responses.
This is not a problem for most NY'ers ,who frequently have to open the windows to cool off in the winter because buildings are over heated.
What type of heat do you have ?

Old 01-29-2015, 07:22 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times
YES. In my building you get what the landlord WANTS to give you and nothing more. We have a low and high setting on our systems but they mean NOTHING. You get whatever the landlord wants you to give you.

I have been sleeping in a military grade sleeping bag on top of my bed and a face mask for the past week since nothing else will keep me warm.

I live in a decent building in midtown...prewar.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:25 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times
Quote:
Technically your apartment is to be no higher than 68 degrees according to NYC law. However 68 degrees ***during the winter time is a completely different 68 degrees than what you will find during the spring.

I am using a face mask to sleep and my thermostat registers 70. Again though if it was a true 70 I should be sleeping in the nude without any problems.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:26 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Insulation?

Old 01-29-2015, 07:29 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
68 is during daytime. At night it is 55.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:38 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
The thermometer in my kitchen reads 72 degrees. Thankful that I get good heat in here. We have baseboard heating.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-29-2015, 07:47 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
You may want to read your lease that covers submeters. According to what's on the the net, the building is set to push a certain amount of heat through the vents. So basically the heat will feel cool. The thermostat is a one size fits all and is disabled from giving you more heat than the building already supplies. So setting it to 85 will do nothing.

Quote:
A supplemental electric heating coil will be
available to provide heat during the spring and fall when the system is in the cooling
mode as an option for residents who may want supplemental heat. The supplemental
coil is automatically disabled when the system is in the heating mode.
http://documents.dps.ny.gov/public/C...0A7D5165B12%7D

(pdf will download to your computer)

Old 01-29-2015, 08:13 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Your post is too vague for proper and informative responses.

What sort of heating system? Forced air? Steam? Hot water? PATC?

Who is paying for and or controls the boiler/furnace that provides said heating? Is this a private home? Multi-family building?

If it is your own private home and turning the thermostat up to high numbers does not result in comfort you need to call in a heating contractor to find out why. It could be anything from problems with your furnace and or ducting system to a poorly insulated home with leaky windows.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:16 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Your post is too vague for proper and informative responses.

What sort of heating system? Forced air? Steam? Hot water? PATC?

Who is paying for and or controls the boiler/furnace that provides said heating? Is this a private home? Multi-family building?

If it is your own private home and turning the thermostat up to high numbers does not result in comfort you need to call in a heating contractor to find out why. It could be anything from problems with your furnace and or ducting system to a poorly insulated home with leaky windows.
It's an apartment building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: