U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 02:28 AM

13 posts, read 75,316 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I lived in NYC all my life. I live in the West Harlem area. I currently use Verizon Online DSL the most basic plan for 19.99 per month and have been using it for 4 years already i think. I also use Verizon for their home phone service eve though we have cell phones. We probably make at most 30 calls a month from our home phone. However, my phone bill is about $65 a month. It cost us about $45 just to have the home telephone line from Verizon and on average we make probably 20 phone calls a month! Almost all the costs come from those taxes and fees. I remembered back a few years ago our Verizon phone bill would be at the most $30 and that was when we made like 200 plus phone calls and each call is about 9 cents a call. Did Verizon just jack up these prices this crazy the last few years?

Is there a cheaper option for home phone service? Because i think it is ridiculous to pay $45 for home phone service when we make so few calls. I see a ton of those verizon or time warner bundle deals and they probably cost even less than what we're paying now... am i wrong or are those rates they give a ton before taxes. I see like 29.99 unlimited long distance calling and of course our phone bill is $45 for just 20 phone calls. The only thing i don't want to use is Vonage because that involves the computer.

Also, I am not sure if anyone have this problem but my Verizon DSL is horrible. I had no so many disconnects and cannot stand it anymore. I bought a new phone , replaced the filters and did everything and i still have a ton of frequent disconnects. I will be definitely changing to Road Runner soon and i know its 34.95/month for first 12 months and then 44.95/month after. I don't really mind the speed of the internet but the thing is I cannot really tolerate any disconnects because I'm busy doing stuff. I really wanted optimum online because its only 29.95 per month and i heard great ratings about it but the problem is it is not available in my area. Verizon Fios is also not available in my area.

The reason why i brought this up was because i wanted to know... would it be a good idea to bundle the road runner cable internet with a phone service or cable? I currently have time warner basic cable and just pay $17/month and all we get are the local channels, ny1 and tbs. We use to $73 for cable a month from time warner but then canceled the service about 2 years ago. I heard dish tv is real cheap but are those prices trying to trick you because they didn't add all those costs? I see 24.99/month for Dish TV and that sounds way too good to be true. I would definitely like channels on tv but don't want to pay too much for it.

This is what we pay per month currently.

Verizon Home Phone Service $45
Verizon DSL $19.99

Verizon is about $65 a month

Time Warner Basic Cable $17

So we are paying about $82 for these 3 things. I barely watch any television because we do not have cable but would watch if we did.

Does anyone have a good suggestion on what i should do? The one thing i am definitely going to get is Road Runner Internet because the DSL disconnects way too much. Are there any plans that you say are good for me?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 12:51 PM

anyone?

Old 04-27-2010, 09:58 PM

2,240 posts, read 2,779,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickguide1 View Post
Hey everyone. I lived in NYC all my life. I live in the West Harlem area. I currently use Verizon Online DSL the most basic plan for 19.99 per month and have been using it for 4 years already i think. I also use Verizon for their home phone service eve though we have cell phones. We probably make at most 30 calls a month from our home phone. However, my phone bill is about $65 a month. It cost us about $45 just to have the home telephone line from Verizon and on average we make probably 20 phone calls a month! Almost all the costs come from those taxes and fees. I remembered back a few years ago our Verizon phone bill would be at the most $30 and that was when we made like 200 plus phone calls and each call is about 9 cents a call. Did Verizon just jack up these prices this crazy the last few years?

Is there a cheaper option for home phone service? Because i think it is ridiculous to pay $45 for home phone service when we make so few calls. I see a ton of those verizon or time warner bundle deals and they probably cost even less than what we're paying now... am i wrong or are those rates they give a ton before taxes. I see like 29.99 unlimited long distance calling and of course our phone bill is $45 for just 20 phone calls. The only thing i don't want to use is Vonage because that involves the computer.

Also, I am not sure if anyone have this problem but my Verizon DSL is horrible. I had no so many disconnects and cannot stand it anymore. I bought a new phone , replaced the filters and did everything and i still have a ton of frequent disconnects. I will be definitely changing to Road Runner soon and i know its 34.95/month for first 12 months and then 44.95/month after. I don't really mind the speed of the internet but the thing is I cannot really tolerate any disconnects because I'm busy doing stuff. I really wanted optimum online because its only 29.95 per month and i heard great ratings about it but the problem is it is not available in my area. Verizon Fios is also not available in my area.

The reason why i brought this up was because i wanted to know... would it be a good idea to bundle the road runner cable internet with a phone service or cable? I currently have time warner basic cable and just pay $17/month and all we get are the local channels, ny1 and tbs. We use to $73 for cable a month from time warner but then canceled the service about 2 years ago. I heard dish tv is real cheap but are those prices trying to trick you because they didn't add all those costs? I see 24.99/month for Dish TV and that sounds way too good to be true. I would definitely like channels on tv but don't want to pay too much for it.

This is what we pay per month currently.

Verizon Home Phone Service $45
Verizon DSL $19.99

Verizon is about $65 a month

Time Warner Basic Cable $17

So we are paying about $82 for these 3 things. I barely watch any television because we do not have cable but would watch if we did.

Does anyone have a good suggestion on what i should do? The one thing i am definitely going to get is Road Runner Internet because the DSL disconnects way too much. Are there any plans that you say are good for me?

Thanks!
I pay $124 for Cable and DSL...so I would say you have a good deal.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:43 AM

What cable do you use?

Old 01-10-2011, 09:41 AM

32,089 posts, read 32,986,776 times
I heard the Vonage was a good service to use for phone calls.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:45 AM

5,399 posts, read 13,121,172 times
If anybody's still interested free HDTV around NYC gets you about 55 digital channels then something like magic jack for your telephone service about $40 a year. Just need Internet service at that point.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:50 AM

21,478 posts, read 28,370,231 times
Quote:

If anybody's still interested free HDTV around NYC gets you about 55 digital
channels
I tried the OTA TV for a month 'til I could get a Verizon hookup. While I was astounded at what I could get it was nowhere NEAR 55 channels, but rather about half of that even counting all the side channels like 4.1, 4.2, 4.3.

If money got really tight, that's the first place I would look to cut costs.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:41 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,574,549 times
I just have internet from RCN. My Verizon FIOS bill was getting to $180 per month which was outrageous since most cable programming is reruns of low quality shows.

I got an antenna from Best Buy for $20 and I get all the major networks very clearly. I combine that with Netflix, Hulu and buying a few shows ala carte from iTunes and my total bill is still much cheaper than cable. I don't need to see a couple guys fix an old house and try to resell if for a profit 20 times a day. Total cost per month is around $70 a month with all the above.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:08 AM

2,310 posts, read 2,827,614 times
Optimum wifi is all i need for the last 4.5yrs now, $60.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:40 AM

21,478 posts, read 28,370,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I just have internet from RCN. My Verizon FIOS bill was getting to $180 per month which was outrageous since most cable programming is reruns of low quality shows.

I got an antenna from Best Buy for $20 and I get all the major networks very clearly. I combine that with Netflix, Hulu and buying a few shows ala carte from iTunes and my total bill is still much cheaper than cable. I don't need to see a couple guys fix an old house and try to resell if for a profit 20 times a day. Total cost per month is around $70 a month with all the above.
What do you pay for cable internet from RCN? What do you do for phone?
Had you stayed with Verizon for only internet did you get a price from them?

Last edited by Kefir King; 01-29-2015 at 08:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or