Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 03:39 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
So long as one of the original tenants who is on the original lease is still there, they must be renewed.
Yep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguard cycle View Post
must be a miserable way to live.
instead of constantly trying to 'get revenge' why don't you just sell and be done with it.
Nah, I'm good. No need to sell. Plus I'm not miserable either though it's miserable for people like you to go through that screening process. Shrugs.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:43 PM

Now if there were NO rent stabilization and the rental market was a FREE MARKET environment, I could afford to be less strict in the rental process know that if the tenant turns out to be undesirable I could easily not renew his lease when it expires. End of problem.

However with Rent Stabilization that's NOT the case. I am FORCED to renew the tenant's lease. See the difference?

Old 05-07-2012, 04:10 PM

171 posts, read 305,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Nah, I'm good. No need to sell. Plus I'm not miserable either though it's miserable for people like you to go through that screening process. Shrugs.
nope not at all, never had a problem finding a place, either shop or home.
good people attract other good people, predators attract ****...its a revolving cycle.
oh and yes ive been a homeowner, got lucky and got out before the proverbial **** hit the fan.
by the sound of some of your posts I'd say get out while you can, it sounds really miserable and like it's taking years off your life.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguard cycle View Post
nope not at all, never had a problem finding a place, either shop or home.
good people attract other good people, predators attract ****...its a revolving cycle.
oh and yes ive been a homeowner, got lucky and got out before the proverbial **** hit the fan.
by the sound of some of your posts I'd say get out while you can, it sounds really miserable and like it's taking years off your life.
Good, so if you have no problem finding a place then this thread doesn't apply to you and your situation. So why stress it and complain?

Old 05-10-2012, 01:36 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothertntony View Post
Given that there seem to be several landlords in this thread, I have a question regarding leasing terms that I would appreciate any opinions on.

I am considering a move to Manhattan to join a startup. I would be looking for a studio or 1BR apt for ~2K/mo. I have good credit and can provide documentation for savings. The job would pay a bit over 100K, so I should be good on the 40x rent rule as well.

However, while the company appears well capitalized, my biggest concern would be that things would go belly up at some point and I would be looking for another job. Perhaps I would find another job in Manhattan, but more likely it would be elsewhere. At that point I would presumably be in the middle of a lease term.

So, is it possible/likely to negotiate leasing terms with some type of exit clause? For example, one month's rent and forfeiture of security deposit if I move out of the area due to job loss (i.e., not just to move to another apartment)?

Thanks for any advice.
I would not broach the subject with any prospective landlord. That is more information than any of them have a right to know and your expressing doubts about your employment may cost you an apartment you otherwise would get.
If the job goes belly-up, deal with it then...there are ways out.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,039 times
Some of these replies sadden me. Some also drip of stereotypes, and perhaps ignorance and plain callousness as there are exceptions to most things.

I was married to a LL who went through personal issues that turned him into a MEAN drunk. I had built for myself a business that was finally at the point of steadying itself when the fool began to write himself checks from my business checks which caused me in turn to be unable to pay suppliers and to send client orders out on time if at all. I was sent to the hospital with a leg broken in 3 places for 2 surgeries, After which I come out of the hospital, not only to find myself in financial ruin but put out of my home I shared with my now ex-husband and my children from another marriage.

Needless to say, My credit was left in a horrible state after he helped himself not only to what I worked hard to build but to purchases, additional credit he had no intention of paying etc. All joint financial accounts were emptied and so all I had to find shelter for myself and children was less than $6,000. We lived in low rent hotels etc as I tried to find better lodgings until our resources were all but gone. Due to my horrific domestic violence injuries, I had no choice to apply for SSI, SSD and the much dreaded Public Assistance or "welfare" to support us until my Social Security benefits were approved.

I am not ignorant, "ghetto" nor "low classed" or what one would deem as an undesirable tenant and yet I faced the same rejections and attitudes as agreed upon here in this thread. Having experienced both sides of this topic, I can only shake my head and feel pain for those who were not "born" to suffer poverty etc but due to unforeseen circumstances end up in distress and need whatever financial programs available to keep their families housed and fed until things improve.

I'd rather have a LL who intelligently writes clauses into their leases with firm terms towards eviction policies than to have the experience of knowing what it's like to have doors slammed in your face literally and/or figuratively because one finds themselves in a bad situation. Everyone is entitled to their opinions of course, Ignorance is temporary as it can be changed with knowledge.

Stupidity, is a long range disease may change should any of you who posted in this thread with stereotypical views etc (and God forbid) have to experience a long fall from your lofty clouds of behavior into any unseen situation in which you (friends or loved ones) may not have the the fortitude or creative intelligence to pull yourself out from without the blessings you currently have in your life...God Bless your successes!!!... but don't shrug at those less fortunate as tragedy has no favored target. (SMH)

Old 06-23-2012, 10:03 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Lady NYC View Post
Some of these replies sadden me. Some also drip of stereotypes, and perhaps ignorance and plain callousness as there are exceptions to most things.

I was married to a LL who went through personal issues that turned him into a MEAN drunk. I had built for myself a business that was finally at the point of steadying itself when the fool began to write himself checks from my business checks which caused me in turn to be unable to pay suppliers and to send client orders out on time if at all. I was sent to the hospital with a leg broken in 3 places for 2 surgeries, After which I come out of the hospital, not only to find myself in financial ruin but put out of my home I shared with my now ex-husband and my children from another marriage.

Needless to say, My credit was left in a horrible state after he helped himself not only to what I worked hard to build but to purchases, additional credit he had no intention of paying etc. All joint financial accounts were emptied and so all I had to find shelter for myself and children was less than $6,000. We lived in low rent hotels etc as I tried to find better lodgings until our resources were all but gone. Due to my horrific domestic violence injuries, I had no choice to apply for SSI, SSD and the much dreaded Public Assistance or "welfare" to support us until my Social Security benefits were approved.

I am not ignorant, "ghetto" nor "low classed" or what one would deem as an undesirable tenant and yet I faced the same rejections and attitudes as agreed upon here in this thread. Having experienced both sides of this topic, I can only shake my head and feel pain for those who were not "born" to suffer poverty etc but due to unforeseen circumstances end up in distress and need whatever financial programs available to keep their families housed and fed until things improve.

I'd rather have a LL who intelligently writes clauses into their leases with firm terms towards eviction policies than to have the experience of knowing what it's like to have doors slammed in your face literally and/or figuratively because one finds themselves in a bad situation. Everyone is entitled to their opinions of course, Ignorance is temporary as it can be changed with knowledge.

Stupidity, is a long range disease may change should any of you who posted in this thread with stereotypical views etc (and God forbid) have to experience a long fall from your lofty clouds of behavior into any unseen situation in which you (friends or loved ones) may not have the the fortitude or creative intelligence to pull yourself out from without the blessings you currently have in your life...God Bless your successes!!!... but don't shrug at those less fortunate as tragedy has no favored target. (SMH)

Hello,

Anyone can sympathize with your circumstances, but not everyone can empathize. For example, it is likely that your circumstance is to *some* degree of your own making.

You seem too 'blame' your circumstance upon your husband and you are the innocent. I suspect rather there were a series of poor decisions made, the least of which was the man you choose, and the next was staying while he became a "drunk", at what point did you intend to move on? How long did you intend to expose your child to that home environment? You made choices. You could have made different choices that w/h served you and your child better.

The first step to 'success' is to realize that each person is responsible for themselves AND the choices made.

Now, YOU state you are not "ghetto" nor "low class", but that is YOUR opinion. Another opinion w/b that the 'choices' you made are ones, that for want of a better term, people of a diifferent 'class' would not make. Some women would think more of themselves and specifically their child---and w/h been out of there at the first sign of abuse. Gone like the wind...

Jfyi, in a circumstance like yours, your first priority is to secure your child!!!

So, the ultimate question is, should a LL expose himself/herself to you and your issues? You MUST comprehend that for you an apartment is aplace to live, shelter; but for the LL the apartment is a BUSINESS! It is his source of income. The income he uses to maintain himself and his family, in order that he, his wife and children NEVER suffer your fate, homeless and w/o income.

I suggest you consider that the majority of LLs that turned you down were simple people like yourself striving and struggling to make it. Trying to get just one step beyond their status quo.

I understand you wished a little help, but helping you comes and/or came with RISK! Should a man risk his family, his well being on your behalf? Shoul he risk that *now* you will make the correct choices??? Your state and circumstances, ghetto or not, demonstrate you are likely to continue to make poor choices. The LL cannot suffer for your poor choices.

People may very well act of stereotypes, be prejudiced, be unsympathetic, but the bottom line is one cannot run a business on good wishes and good hope.

In business, one MUST take a pessimistic view of what can be the worst that could happen, then take precautions against the worst, in order to prevent catasrophe. In your circumstance, such precautuions w/h saved you....

I am sorry for you, but you are not a 'victim'!. My advice is to accept your mistakes. Think hard and make good choices. What you had is gone and you won't get it back. Though, you can move forward hopefully to better things. One step and one good choice at a time. Make the correct choice at each step and all it takes is time....

One step backward and two steps forward.

Luck!

Old 06-23-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Hello,

The first step to 'success' is to realize that each person is responsible for themselves AND the choices made.
That statement pretty much sums it up. I hope all you Welfare recipients and "hood" people are reading this. Stop blaming others for your UNDER-ACHIEVEMENTS and take a look in the mirror and realize that somewhere along your life you took the wrong road at the fork and made bad decisions that put you where you are today. Don't blame the system, blame yourself! Don't expect the city or government to come to the rescue and fix your situation...fix it yourself. Figure it out instead of blaming people. God helps those who help themselves. Don't sit there and wait for things to change, go out and create change for yourself. Enough with the excuses.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:09 AM

395 posts, read 1,214,557 times
As an agent, I would like to help more people with programs find apartments. Why? Because it is guaranteed money for me.
However, when I find having myself to do twice the work to find a landlord that will accept the program, show the client (who usually has extremely high standards) a lot of apartments that never seem to fit their needs, and then have to deal with the fact that it takes 2-3 weeks for the apartment to actually get approved and checks cleared, it drives me away. Especially when I recently learned that that some programs only pay half the months rent in broker fees. After my split and taxes, that's about a monthly metro card.
The case managers are a piece of work too, after having talked to several of them, I now just give program clients the super's number and wish them good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City