U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 09:21 PM

32 posts, read 112,026 times

Advertisements

I need help big time! I got so screwed. I bought a car on Thursday, drove it home then drove it to work and back Monday. Tuesday, I drove it to work. These are around 7-8 mile drives. My car broke down on the eastern pkwy in Brooklyn. In high traffic. Just shut down and wouldn't turn back on, complete silence. Fortunately, three wonderful angels came to my rescue and helped push my car to the side of the road. I had the car towed to my mechanic (my mother in law's mechanic that she trusts). We find out that everything is wrong with this car. Brakes are gone, he said he has not idea how I was able to stop at all. radiator leak, alternator, rotters, belt... the whole bottom of the car was rusted so bad (probably a Katrina car). Problem is the car has 103k miles on is... doesn't make it for the lemon law (of course!). BUT, they had it inspected by the mechanic they used and it miraculously passed! My mechanic says there's no way that car should have passed. I'm going tomorrow to take pictures of the inspection sticker, the brakes and what ever I could. I have the towing receipt and will get a detailed receipt from my mechanic. The car lot place said to me and I quote "We will not refund your money... you will never get a refund."

Any advice? I don't know if I'm allowed to post the name of the place, if someone could let me know if I could I will. Or at least the location so no one gets screwed over like I did.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 09:26 PM

10,364 posts, read 18,840,431 times
step 1: file with small claims court (max $5000 settlement) or civil court (max $25,000 settlement)

step 2: get index # and case

step 3: if they dont show u will get a default judgment meaning u won

step 4: get a nyc marshal to collect their business bond, they will take the money out of that to pay you

it is long and arduous, good luck

(been through it before)

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-28-2010, 09:36 PM

What are my chances? What other types of evidence should I be trying to gather? They want to pick the car up tomorrow to have their mechanic look at it but I'm nervous about it, so I plan to take as many photographs as possible but what else can I do?

Thank you for responding.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:38 PM

10,364 posts, read 18,840,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsP614 View Post
What are my chances? What other types of evidence should I be trying to gather? They want to pick the car up tomorrow to have their mechanic look at it but I'm nervous about it, so I plan to take as many photographs as possible but what else can I do?

Thank you for responding.
carfax.com

put in the VIN# it will tell u every time the car's been in the shop and any accidents it had be4

DO NOT LET THEIR MECHANIC LOOK AT IT

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-28-2010, 10:20 PM

I bought the carfax... Only showed an accident in 2000 but it showed it failed inspection in march but didn't say why, when we asked about it they said they didn't know, it could have been anything. Then said it was probably some thing they said they fixed. I'm hoping that the contract of sale is void since its obvious the inspection passed illegally.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:13 PM

1,810 posts, read 4,266,811 times
Was this the 1st time that you bought a used car? If it was always have the car that you want to buy looked at by YOUR mechanic first. If need be take him with you to the used car lot. This is very important, now with a new car that is a different story, you have more protection,etc.

Cars in the northeast get rusted from the bottom because of the salt used on the streets to melt the snow. It sounds to me like you bought the car right off the lot. I am going to assume that you paid under 5k for this car, never trust what a used car dealer tells you. Shopping for a used vehicle is one of life's most stressful events.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:16 PM

7,234 posts, read 12,093,467 times
I would not let them have it back for their mechanic to "look" at it. What good will that possibly do you?

Old 04-28-2010, 11:50 PM

48 posts, read 110,779 times
Have you called NYS DMV about this dealer?

Old 04-29-2010, 06:11 AM

They haven't taken the car yet. I didn't trust them either that's why I'm going there first thing when my mechanic opens to take pictures. They said they haven't seen it so they don't know what's actually wrong with it, they called my mechanic an idiot. I haven't called the DMV. This has never happened to me for, I don't know what to do.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:49 AM

48 posts, read 110,779 times
Call DMV and file a complaint with them about the dealer. DMV can yank his license if they find wrongdoing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City