Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 10:39 PM

267 posts, read 1,033,732 times

Advertisements

I am starting training as a census enumerator. I will work in my old neighborhood (Dyker heights) instead of East Harlem. Since Dyker Heights is great neighborhood, safety concern for me is minimum. What about those who work in Harlem or South Bronx? Do they feel safe to work inside housing projects? We have to ask if any household member is in jail so he/she should not be counted. Do you feel comfortable to ask those not so friendly respondents? I am also wondering whether police protection is needed to work in Brownsville or East New York.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 09:01 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,653,832 times
How much does Uncle Sam pay?

Old 04-30-2010, 09:05 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
Ill pray for you.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:21 PM

30 posts, read 58,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
It varies by county. Nassau was $18/hour I believe, so NYC should be similar... can't seem to find a link off hand right now.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:20 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,938,397 times
varies.. a friend of mine in upstate is making $20 plus 50 cents a mile

to the orig poster I thought that they ONLY sent to to your own area to work? Funny that Obama lied on his....maybe he should be arrested for doing so ... lol or fined lol.............that's right he is a politician and they ALL LIE!

Old 04-30-2010, 11:16 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
varies.. a friend of mine in upstate is making $20 plus 50 cents a mile

to the orig poster I thought that they ONLY sent to to your own area to work? Funny that Obama lied on his....maybe he should be arrested for doing so ... lol or fined lol.............that's right he is a politician and they ALL LIE!
This is rather strident.
Can you provide a link to show where he lied?

As far as I remember, I read that census workers will be put to work in "their communities" and if you are a resident of Brooklyn, it seems to me you should expect to be put to work elsewhere in Brooklyn in a neighborhood that has a low census return rate.

If you live in Sunnyside (for example) and want to work for the census, how would you feel if they said, "Sorry, you can't work for us. Obama says census workers must be put to work in their communities, which means within 4 blocks of where you live, and guess what, your neighbors were all really good about returning their forms. So you can't work for us because we only have Corona and Jamaica available. Nothing in Sunnyside. So, bye."

I'm sure you'd be the first to complain about that by saying something like, "Obama said US citizens could work for the census but now he is defining community as within 4 blocks and there are no openings within 4 blocks. How did he come up with that definition. He's a politician and they all lie." blah blah blah

Old 04-30-2010, 11:28 PM

Why Obama lied about his race on his census form

FYI Obama forgot that his mama was a white girl who made him with a black man and now he claims he is ONLY BLACK and not mixed race...........there is a section call RACE on the Census and OBAMA ticked off African American.. which make him a LIAR......and forgot that he is NOT a AFRICAN AMERICAN but Molato..mix..which.... he as lied about his race........he should have ticked off mixed race

sunnyside is more then 4 blocks and hardly anyone in sunnyside sent in there forms last time. hardly anyone applied in the area to do the job.

there was a case where the area you come from is very small and everyone and thier pet monkey sent in their forms then I understand why the need to send a person to a town CLOSE BY...but not far far way down yonder.

FYI I could give a Rats ANUS who works where for the census ........ from my understanding they send you towork in your OWN AREA not someplace that you are not farmilar with............Could care less since I never deal with census working or filling the form out.

Last edited by Chichappens; 04-30-2010 at 11:37 PM..

Old 05-01-2010, 06:06 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,021 times
Why are you worried about this Sarah if you will be working in Dyker Heights? Don't you need a car for this position? Even though the pay is good for this temporary gig don't expect everybody to be nice to you when you ring their bell.

Which is why my doormat outside my front door says
"Ring doorbell and run, the dog needs exercise."

Old 05-01-2010, 08:53 AM

ha ha ha that is a funny doormat lol

also there are some shady people I dont find this job to be SAFE for anyone especially women. You don't know whats behind that door.SCARY!

Old 05-01-2010, 12:16 PM

267 posts, read 1,033,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
$18.75/hr in NYC. I don't understand why Boston and Bridgeport get $22.75/hr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City