U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 05:56 PM

69 posts, read 114,822 times
Default NYCHA Housing Lottery Concern - I am living with my parents. What are my chances of getting a luxury apartment?

I am in my mid 20's and am living with my parents. However, I file my own taxes. (independent) I was wondering if this makes me my own "household"? Also, do they consider living with my parents a negative when considering me for an apartment or will they see it as a plus because of my age? If i write on the application that I live in a 3 bedroom with my parents and brother but am looking to live on my own, will my application be rejected? Do I put on the application that my parents are my "landlord" since I pay them money every month to stay there? Im afraid they will do a home visit, see I live with my parents and belive that I dont need the apartment when the truth is I need to get out on my own. I know these are alot of questions but if anyone can give me any input that would be greatly appreciated. thanx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 09:52 PM

470 posts, read 697,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apthunterdr View Post
I am in my mid 20's and am living with my parents. However, I file my own taxes. (independent) I was wondering if this makes me my own "household"? Also, do they consider living with my parents a negative when considering me for an apartment or will they see it as a plus because of my age? If i write on the application that I live in a 3 bedroom with my parents and brother but am looking to live on my own, will my application be rejected? Do I put on the application that my parents are my "landlord" since I pay them money every month to stay there? Im afraid they will do a home visit, see I live with my parents and belive that I dont need the apartment when the truth is I need to get out on my own. I know these are alot of questions but if anyone can give me any input that would be greatly appreciated. thanx.
Do not put your parents as your landlord. If you do that, they could get in a lot of trouble with the IRS for collecting rent that they are not claiming. You are not the head of household even if you pay income taxes independantly. You would have to show that you are paying property taxes and your income is paying all or most of the household expenses. I do not know anything about the housing lottery though, or if living with parents is a good or bad thing when it comes to being selected.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:48 PM

1,016 posts, read 376,258 times
your NOT getting a Luxury apartment........sorry

Old 05-01-2010, 11:52 PM

what makes you so sure?

Old 08-05-2011, 05:11 AM

Default i was offered a luxury apartment

i just thought id post that in february of this year i was offered a luxury studio at silvertowers but i turned it down because it was too small. so anyone who said i wasnt going to get one was wrong.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:26 AM

10,971 posts, read 9,935,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apthunterdr View Post
i just thought id post that in february of this year i was offered a luxury studio at silvertowers but i turned it down because it was too small. so anyone who said i wasnt going to get one was wrong.

I hope you don't regret turning it down. Yes, they are small.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:16 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,224,190 times
If you want to get out on your own, why not just go and get an apartment.

lol at turning down an apt. Feel entitled much?

Old 08-05-2011, 09:31 AM
bg7

3,266 posts, read 2,364,083 times
err..... - the low-income apartments at silvertowers aren't luxury. They are basic.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:08 AM

10,971 posts, read 9,935,567 times
Very few apartments called LUXURY are indeed anything approaching LUXURY.

In today's market everything NEW is called luxury if it has walls, windows and elevator and somebody standing at the door. Yes indeed, the concept of a luxurious 400 sq. foot studio apartment is preposterous but that is real-estate lingo today.

The only thing NOT described as luxury is a 5 story walkup on the LES with a bathtub in the kitchen.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:04 AM

58 posts, read 78,266 times
you can apply for the apartment but don't put your parents as your landlord. instead be honest about your situation without noting the fact that you pay them rent as long as you pay taxes, credit is good and your mom will notarize a document that you live there or let you use the lease as evidence of that, you'll be good. good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: