U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 09:47 AM

8,904 posts, read 6,775,811 times

Advertisements

Since I no longer take the subway/bus to work anymore, I just get disposable metrocards and pay as I go. This happens to me everytime: When I have my final amount on the card, I go to swipe it, and it says "please swipe again at this turnstile." When I swipe it again, it says I have insufficient funds, even though I had more than enough money on it. And I know I have enough to ride again. It's ridiculous...it's not like I swiped it wrong either--I grew up riding the subway, so I know the correct way to swipe it.

It's such a ripoff, it's like the turnstiles are programmed to say that, and take the money off your card at the same time. I always end up going to the booth and I tell the person it took the money leftover on my card, and usually they're nice enough to allow me to go through the gate.

Does this ever happen to anyone else??? I'm pretty mad by it constantly happening when I have just enough for one ride left
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 10:28 AM

16,644 posts, read 13,902,136 times
Yes, that has happened to me on my pay-per-ride metrocard whenever I have the exact the amount left for one last ride. I always end up going to the person in the booth to let me go through the gate.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:43 AM

4,502 posts, read 8,051,718 times
Here ya go:

MTA / Metro Card RANT

I swear, Fox-5 should do a story on this!!

Old 05-03-2010, 10:45 AM

And what's interesting is that the booth workers allow you to go through like it's no big deal. It's like they expect it to happen all the time and people come to them often about it.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:46 AM

12,344 posts, read 13,952,689 times
Yes it happen to me on the PATH at Newark Penn , i missed a train over it At first i thought i was swiping it wrong but then i found out , it was malfunctioning.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:57 AM

40,059 posts, read 20,026,481 times
Well, guess what? As an employee of MTA, I don't have to use a MetroCard. I can swipe my employee pass...and sometimes the turnstile does that to me, too!

It's because the machine needs to be recalibrated. (Or, on occasion, cleaned out, as a buildup of dirt/filth/steel dust/whatever you want to call it will interfere with the reading).

Old 05-04-2010, 12:42 AM

95 posts, read 77,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Here ya go:

MTA / Metro Card RANT

I swear, Fox-5 should do a story on this!!
I agree, someone needs to contact them and/or other media outlets regarding this issue.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:12 AM

4,502 posts, read 8,051,718 times
Of course that can/does happen.... but what about the issues with the Metro Card machines? Or being charged an additional fare when you should have a free transfer??

I'll be contacting Fox-5 or another media outlet. Hopefully, they'll find interest in the story.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:00 AM

12,318 posts, read 12,056,693 times
The worst is swiping the card thru and not looking and you go to go thru and the turnstile jabs you right in the waist.

I hate metro cards, they are are waste of our tax payers money. I hate that we had to get all new turnstiles, another waste of money.
The token worked for all those years, you either had a token, or you didnt. No need to wonder about what you had. You still had to wait on a line wether you bought a metro card or 80 tokens, same thing. The token did not make litter, when a metro card is finished, it is usually thrown on the ground.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:42 AM

Tokens were better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City