U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-06-2010, 06:26 PM

29 posts, read 67,480 times
Default where to park and ride?

Hi,
Me and my dad are going to visit new york city coming from virginia taking I-95N. I heard parking could a problem inside the city and driving is crazy. Is there any convenient location on the outskirt of the city I can park my car for three days so we can take subway and not worry about driving in manhattan?

Last edited by onthetopo; 05-06-2010 at 06:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 06:44 PM

982 posts, read 2,297,138 times
Maybe parking at Newark Airport would work since you're coming up that way. Not sure what the rates are. You can take a cab to the City or I think there's a connection to the Path (NJ subway) trains now? Somebody on here will know.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:35 PM

747 posts, read 1,378,989 times
Yeah Newark Airport (EWR) or most PATH stations have parking nearby.

Service - PATH - Port Authority of New York & New Jersey

The closer you get to NYC, the more you're likely to pay. At the Newport Mall (near the Pavonia-Newport PATH stop), I think it's around $22-24 per day. You could probably do a search on the NJ forum on any of the stations listed in the link above and find some info on parking.

If you want go further out, NJTransit trains go into NYC (NY Penn Station). The Northeast Corridor line (red on the map) will probably be closest to your route (I-95):

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

Old 05-08-2010, 07:02 PM

12,336 posts, read 13,260,435 times
Just take Amtrak Regional form DC , purchase 14 days ahead to get the discount. Total Round Trip form DC to NY Penn will cost 200 if its 2 people. & Compared to parking and gas prices that's very cheap. It has to be form DC North to get the discount on Regional. Takes about 3.14 hrs to 3.40 hrs....compared to up to 6hrs if there's traffic and there always is in Maryland , New Jersey , and around DC. The seating isn't like on airliners , its spaced out you can stretch your legs and walk up and down the train. & I think there's a Quiet car?

Old 05-09-2010, 11:32 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,358,957 times
The Harrison PATH station is popular for that. I think you can get parking at one of the outdoor lots where you pay somewhere like $6 to $10 a day. The PATH subway from NJ goes into NYC from there for about $1.50 or $2, something like that. There is also a bus park and ride at the junctions of NJ3, I-495 US1&9 just off the NJ Pike exit to the Lincoln Tunnel. Sometimes I used to park free in an office or hotel parking garage just west of there and take a bus in. Check the various websites for those. Another place is Metropark where the GSP (GardenSt Pkwy) crosses the Amtrak or NJ Transit train line. There's parking garages where you can stay for days and the main NE corridor train goes through there into the city.

On the other side of Manhattan I used to park near that big skycraper, the CitBank one in Queens and take a subway into Manhattan.
DM me if you're still looking for particulars

Old 06-04-2010, 08:25 PM

587 posts, read 556,407 times
I'm coming from Conn and would like to park + ride the subway also.
Metro north is expensive. (example $8 one way from greenwich off peak - $10.75 peak)

These 3 stations look to be the most convenient coming from Conn.

#2 train 241 st - riverdale
#5 train dyre ave - eastchester
#6 train pelham bay park

Any parking available near these stations? What is the cost? Are these areas safe especially at night? Which of these trains gets to grand central the fastest?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

I have read some of the suggestions for subway sight seeing routes here and hope to try them someday.

I've only seen Bronx, Manhattan, and Brooklyn from underground so far.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:32 PM

142 posts, read 123,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Metro north is expensive. (example $8 one way from greenwich off peak - $10.75 peak)

#6 train pelham bay park

Any parking available near these stations? What is the cost? Are these areas safe especially at night? Which of these trains gets to grand central the fastest?

I have read some of the suggestions for subway sight seeing routes here and hope to try them someday.

sorry for the very late response , but i live in the eastchester area . there's no parking garages/lots over here for use . only at the woodlawn metro north station

Old 05-18-2012, 03:55 PM

3,318 posts, read 3,504,361 times
Quote:
#6 train pelham bay park
The (2) stops in Wakefield, not Riverdale.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:16 AM

343 posts, read 542,350 times
Quote:

#6 train pelham bay park

There is a open air central parking garage at the Pelham Bay Professional Center, right under the 6 train at PBP. You'd also have access to the BxM8 express bus which would take you down 5th avenue to all the shops. You could also park your car on the street, its a safe neighborhood, just read the signs.

The 6 will get you to Grand Central pretty quickly. Especially from 7am-12pm. There is Express service in the bronx in the AM peak direction, that will get you to 125th street in about 20-25 minutes, then you can hop on the 4/5 express there, and get to grand Central in about 10. So about 35-40 minutes to Grand Central. In the PM rush from about 1pm-9pm, it does the reverse, so you get back uptown faster. The thing about the 6 line, is from First to Last stop the running time is only 55 minutes, so wherever you go in manhattan, it will always be under an hour, and the service is very frequent. The express bus is also a great option.

The Pelham Bay Station is very busy at all times, it is a MTA crew hub, and a bus transfer point for almost 10 lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City