Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 09:16 PM

227 posts, read 821,407 times

Advertisements

I see people ask cabbies if they can go somewhere and they are like, "is that ok?" Aren't cabbies required to go whereever you want in the boros the quickest route?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 09:27 PM

199 posts, read 520,968 times
I would ask the cabbie's permission before getting into the cab when I first moved to NYC. I quickly learned that the most popular response would be for them to lock their doors and speed off. Needless to say, I stopped.

I think they can technically get away with that if you're not yet inside the cab. It's when you're inside the cab giving a destination and they deny your trip and try to kick you out that it becomes a problem.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:27 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times
Yes, you should get into the cab and then tell them your destination. If it is within the five boroughs, they cannot refuse you. If your destination is in the five boroughs, and they claim not to know how to get there, they are required to use their TLC-mandated map to find your destination. Call 311 if they try to refuse, and make a complaint.

They can refuse to go outside the city if they have been on duty for a number of hours, per TLC rules, but that applies to Westchester, Nassau, Fairfield, etc. NJ and CT destinations are flat-rate, told at the outset of the trip, whereas Westchester and Nassau are on the meter, but NYS outside of those counties is a flat-rate, too.

Also, they must use and charge you the E-Z Pass rate for tolls, and may not go in the cash lanes, as some cabbies were recently cited for doing. That's another TLC rule.

Here's a guide from NYC.gov that gives the basics of passenger information: Passenger Frequently Asked Questions - NYC Taxi & Limousine Commission

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-11-2010, 10:11 AM

201 posts, read 619,204 times
So if I ask for Riverhead in Suffolk county they can't refuse me?

Old 05-11-2010, 11:24 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,154,869 times
No - if it is within the 5 boroughs, they can't refuse you. Suffolk county is not within the 5 boroughs.

The only time I ask a cabbie if they can take me somewhere is when they have their off duty light on but they still pull over to see where I'm going. Otherwise - I just get in and tell them where to take me!

Old 05-11-2010, 04:04 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,357,203 times
I never knew half this stuff. Do you know how many times Ive heard "I cant go to brooklyn"? lol

Old 05-11-2010, 04:25 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,831,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
I never knew half this stuff. Do you know how many times Ive heard "I cant go to brooklyn"? lol
I wanted to go to Bensonhurst once and it was near impossible. I guess some cabbies say "its unlucky to go to brooklyn at night"

Old 05-11-2010, 08:46 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times
They hate it because the likelihood of picking up a return fare to Manhattan is slim in certain parts of Brooklyn, Queens, and The Bronx. I wouldn't even want to think about SI, as they might push you out of a moving cab for asking to go there, since there's an even more remote possibility of the reutrn fare. LOL...perhaps not that bad...but if they know before you get in the cab that you want to go to Staten Island, they'll leave you standing on the curb as they speed off into the night.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-12-2010, 07:56 AM

541 posts, read 1,902,266 times
I've been told to get out of a cab before for wanting to go to Queens. For the most part I find its not worth the headache to sit there and argue with them about what they are required to do. I generally just get out and find another cab.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:26 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStant1 View Post
I've been told to get out of a cab before for wanting to go to Queens. For the most part I find its not worth the headache to sit there and argue with them about what they are required to do. I generally just get out and find another cab.
I wouldn't argue with them, either. But I definitely would take down the information from their license, as well as the number of their cab, and report them to the Taxi & Limousine Commission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City