Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2010, 11:12 AM

128 posts, read 250,561 times

Advertisements

I know this is a strange question coming from someone who lives in NYC, but nevertheless.

I guess a little bit about me: I'm extremely shy and quite young guy. Most of my life I've hung out with a small cirlce of friends or just spent a lot of time at home doing whatever. Now the times have changed: close friends went on with their lifes and most have their own families and there's not much for me to do at home. I want to go out on weekends but don't know where to go. Kind of embarassed to even be asking this but lonelyness is killing me

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 12:19 PM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loss4words View Post
I know this is a strange question coming from someone who lives in NYC, but nevertheless.

I guess a little bit about me: I'm extremely shy and quite young guy. Most of my life I've hung out with a small cirlce of friends or just spent a lot of time at home doing whatever. Now the times have changed: close friends went on with their lifes and most have their own families and there's not much for me to do at home. I want to go out on weekends but don't know where to go. Kind of embarassed to even be asking this but lonelyness is killing me

Thanks!
well what do you like to do? tell us and then we can reccomend some spots to meet new people.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-10-2010, 06:19 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,585,527 times
Go to Bar None in the East Village if you're feeling lonely.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:42 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,887,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loss4words View Post

Thanks!
Did you mean for a date or like a bar/dance spot type thing? It reads like you mean nightlife-type activities, so I'm going to respond to it as if that's what you meant:

If you're lonely, the place to meet people isn't really where people go out on weekends. You should assess what you're interested in and then join groups that correspond to your interests, or go to events related to your interests. Perhaps take a class or whatever. Start hanging out with people from work/school and invite people you share interests with out to the things you're both interested in.

As for going out on the weekends, just go to the LES or East Village and wander around walking into places that don't charge cover.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:26 PM

142 posts, read 418,610 times
Go to the Village Pour House on tuesdays and play Rock Band! It's fun and so are the patrons:-)

Old 05-11-2010, 02:48 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
If you're shy, your problem is not finding groups of people but being introduced to people. You can go to the biggest party in the city but if you're shy, you're never going to meet anyone. I would suggest joining a group where people are introduced, like intramural basketball or a book club. This is New York; there's a club somewhere for even the most obscure interests.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:07 AM

13 posts, read 74,346 times
Amen to tpk-nyc's comment.

Bars aren't the best bet for actually meeting people -- if people are using bars as a meeting spot, well, it tends to be for one thing only. Definitely try to join some kind of group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City