U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-14-2010, 03:23 PM

93 posts, read 229,004 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend the best route for driving from Fairfield County, CT (will be leaving from either Fairfield or Stamford) to Midtown West (Low 50s and 8th)? I've never done the drive before, but will be renting a small SUV tomorrow to drop off some air conditioners and other misc items.

I'll be leaving tomorrow, Saturday, around 11am-noon. Can I do the Merritt -> Hutch -> ??? Also, what options do I have in ways of bridges?

I'd love to come in and down the west side of manhattan, and then cut over, as opposed to driving down the middle of manhattan and dealing w all that traffic.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 03:55 PM

11,592 posts, read 15,949,378 times
Default you could

do the Merritt into the Hutchinson to the Cross County Pkwy to the Saw Mill River Pkwy south which becomes the H Hudson Pkwy. Your only toll is to cross into Manhattan (I think it's $2.75 or maybe more) and continue down H Hudson until you reach 52nd or 50th streets(left turn off the West side hwy) into 8th Avenue or wherever you were going

this most likely would be the best most pleasant route. I 95 most likely will be trafficked at some point and if there is a Yankee game it could be worse

Old 05-14-2010, 03:57 PM

Default as far as bridges

I don't see why you should have to use any others than the H Hudson bridge described above.

you would not want to take I95 to the Bruckner Expressway to the Triboro Bridge because that puts you on the east side, down the FDR to 53rd street all the way across town

Old 05-14-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
do the Merritt into the Hutchinson to the Cross County Pkwy to the Saw Mill River Pkwy south which becomes the H Hudson Pkwy. Your only toll is to cross into Manhattan (I think it's $2.75 or maybe more) and continue down H Hudson until you reach 52nd or 50th streets(left turn off the West side hwy) into 8th Avenue or wherever you were going

this most likely would be the best most pleasant route. I 95 most likely will be trafficked at some point and if there is a Yankee game it could be worse
Thanks! I wasn't sure if I'd have to do a bridge or if it was just that toll.

I anticipate parking, as always, to be terrible. Are there any strange parking rules I should know about for Saturdays? I figure if I can't find a spot right near the apt (most likely outcome), I'll pull up to a hydrant or something, unload the car and go park it further uptown. I'll have other people with me, so it's doable. If I have to start heading uptown for parking, how far up should I go until parking becomes relatively easy (assuming I don't find a spot nearby)? I figure I can park and subway back.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I don't see why you should have to use any others than the H Hudson bridge described above.

you would not want to take I95 to the Bruckner Expressway to the Triboro Bridge because that puts you on the east side, down the FDR to 53rd street all the way across town
Thanks! I believe this is what I was thinking of. I've never driven into the city from this direction, and never paid much attention when others drove.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:04 PM

Default there is a municipal parking garage

or at least i think it is still there i've known of this lot since 1977

it's on 8th ave between 53rd and 54th streets it has a big luxury building planted right on top of it

the hampton inn on 52nd and 8th may also have a garage but i don't know if they let non-hotel people park there

Old 05-14-2010, 04:06 PM

Default street

parking might be a little lighter west of 9th avenue

Old 05-14-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
or at least i think it is still there i've known of this lot since 1977

it's on 8th ave between 53rd and 54th streets it has a big luxury building planted right on top of it

the hampton inn on 52nd and 8th may also have a garage but i don't know if they let non-hotel people park there
Quote:
parking might be a little lighter west of 9th avenue
Thanks! I think we're trying to avoid parking garages to avoid their fees. I didn't think about going further west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City