U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-16-2010, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Tennessee/Michigan
28,219 posts, read 47,637,542 times
Reputation: 19725

Advertisements

Those two holes deep underground are nearly 70 years in the making.

The massive openings mark the start of the northbound and southbound tunnels of the long-delayed -- and budget-busting -- Second Avenue Subway, which is being carved out 60 feet below East 92nd Street.



Read more: MTA starts drilling for Second Avenue subway - NYPOST.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-16-2010, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Bay Ridge, NY
1,915 posts, read 7,281,892 times
Reputation: 545
I never thought I'd see the day that this would actually happen with how long this has been delayed for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2010, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,056 posts, read 30,547,756 times
Reputation: 10490
The Second Avenue line was originally proposed in 1950. Construction actually began in 1972, with ten blocks of tunnel built (from 110 to 120 Streets), and was "put on hold," as they said, when the big financial crisis struck the next year.

The official plan calls for service beginning in 2015, but if anyone thinks that's going to happen, they have something in their coffee that probably shouldn't be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2010, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Upper East, NY
1,144 posts, read 2,630,450 times
Reputation: 561
The completion date of this Phase I (96th/2nd to 63rd/Lex) is always whatever year you are in + 7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2010, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,056 posts, read 30,547,756 times
Reputation: 10490
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
The completion date of this Phase I (96th/2nd to 63rd/Lex) is always whatever year you are in + 7.
Unless MTA is going through one of its annual "We're Broke" phases, in which case the completion date becomes whatever year you're in + Indefinite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2010, 04:45 PM
 
5,532 posts, read 5,981,930 times
Reputation: 3155
I am really trying to understand the mystery behind this. How was it possible to dig the entire subway system circa 1900 with bare hands, shovels and buckets? And, it was finished faster then the 2ed Ave line 110 years later. Today they use heavy machinery, excavators that work 24 hours a day and other modern tools. In the 1930s, the Hoover Dam (the greatest engineering project at the time) was completed in less the 4 years...
I do not understand how our country regressed so much in the last decades. By today standards, America could not have been built. The cross country railroads would have taken millennia and probably never finished. Paving a street in the city - 50 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2010, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Long Island/NYC
11,334 posts, read 17,112,188 times
Reputation: 6075
So what have they been doing this whole time, I thought they were already drilling for like the past 2 years or so. Anyways its good news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2010, 09:42 PM
 
227 posts, read 737,319 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
I am really trying to understand the mystery behind this. How was it possible to dig the entire subway system circa 1900 with bare hands, shovels and buckets? And, it was finished faster then the 2ed Ave line 110 years later. Today they use heavy machinery, excavators that work 24 hours a day and other modern tools. In the 1930s, the Hoover Dam (the greatest engineering project at the time) was completed in less the 4 years...
I do not understand how our country regressed so much in the last decades. By today standards, America could not have been built. The cross country railroads would have taken millennia and probably never finished. Paving a street in the city - 50 years?
This is true, but also look at buildings like the NY Public Library...they just used all the best materials somehow and it would never be affordable today. Perhaps they should have conserved a bit of the good stuff back then. I don't know if this makes any sense...just something I have noticed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2010, 09:50 PM
 
Location: New York City
4,036 posts, read 8,946,684 times
Reputation: 3708
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
I am really trying to understand the mystery behind this. How was it possible to dig the entire subway system circa 1900 with bare hands, shovels and buckets? And, it was finished faster then the 2ed Ave line 110 years later. Today they use heavy machinery, excavators that work 24 hours a day and other modern tools. In the 1930s, the Hoover Dam (the greatest engineering project at the time) was completed in less the 4 years...
I do not understand how our country regressed so much in the last decades. By today standards, America could not have been built. The cross country railroads would have taken millennia and probably never finished. Paving a street in the city - 50 years?
It's OSHA, unions and vastly more expensive labor cost. The Hoover Dam was built at the height of the Depression. Thousands of people moved their families to the middle of Nevada without air conditioning to work on a very dangerous site where many people died for extremely low wages. Those people were desperate. No one in this country would do that anymore.

People still do dangerous and backbreaking jobs, but they demand large salaries, and we don't have the money to pay them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2010, 11:56 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
1,140 posts, read 2,881,003 times
Reputation: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
I am really trying to understand the mystery behind this. How was it possible to dig the entire subway system circa 1900 with bare hands, shovels and buckets? And, it was finished faster then the 2ed Ave line 110 years later. Today they use heavy machinery, excavators that work 24 hours a day and other modern tools. In the 1930s, the Hoover Dam (the greatest engineering project at the time) was completed in less the 4 years...
I do not understand how our country regressed so much in the last decades. By today standards, America could not have been built. The cross country railroads would have taken millennia and probably never finished. Paving a street in the city - 50 years?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
It's OSHA, unions and vastly more expensive labor cost. The Hoover Dam was built at the height of the Depression. Thousands of people moved their families to the middle of Nevada without air conditioning to work on a very dangerous site where many people died for extremely low wages. Those people were desperate. No one in this country would do that anymore.

People still do dangerous and backbreaking jobs, but they demand large salaries, and we don't have the money to pay them.
Both very good points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top