Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 04:04 PM

3 posts, read 11,307 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the East Village and Lower Manhattan, and I vastly prefer living in the "boring" Financial District.

The surroundings are much nicer (beautiful architecture), sparkling clean, the people are more upscale with its very high median income. In the EV, I lived in a shabby walk-up building surrounded by rent-controlled yentas. For the same price I was paying in the East Village, I lived in a modern luxury conversion (old office building converted into luxury apartments), with a spa, a doorman, dog-walkers, screening room, sundeck, indoor pool, valet parking, concierge, etc in Lower Manhattan.

East Village was more "fun" (it honestly got old after the first month), quality of life for living is much higher in the FiDi.

This article backs up that Lower Manhattan is quickly becoming one of the most livable neighborhoods, with its population more than doubling.

Downtown's population boom seen rolling on - Crain's New York Business

Last edited by newyorkny1; 05-18-2010 at 04:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 04:12 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
I agree completely.
Many of my friends,who fled Manhattan(with me) for Williamsburg in the 80's and early 90's are now fleeing Williamsburg (as I did) because of how horrible life has gotten there and have moved or are moving to FIDI.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:32 PM

769 posts, read 2,050,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkny1 View Post
I've lived in the East Village and Lower Manhattan, and I vastly prefer living in the "boring" Financial District.

The surroundings are much nicer (beautiful architecture), sparkling clean, the people are more upscale with its very high median income. In the EV, I lived in a shabby walk-up building surrounded by rent-controlled yentas. For the same price I was paying in the East Village, I lived in a modern luxury conversion (old office building converted into luxury apartments), with a spa, a doorman, dog-walkers, screening room, sundeck, indoor pool, valet parking, concierge, etc in Lower Manhattan.

East Village was more "fun" (it honestly got old after the first month), quality of life for living is much higher in the FiDi.

This article backs up that Lower Manhattan is quickly becoming one of the most livable neighborhoods, with its population more than doubling.

Downtown's population boom seen rolling on - Crain's New York Business
I am hoping to move back to NYC soon and have seen a lot of these nice apartment buildings in the financial district. I think my husband and I would love it there. Our only concern is the dog. Are there ANY parks or grassy areas we could take him to every once in a while? He's the main reason why I started considering UWS and UES more, because we want to be close to a park or something like that.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:38 PM

3 posts, read 11,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
I am hoping to move back to NYC soon and have seen a lot of these nice apartment buildings in the financial district. I think my husband and I would love it there. Our only concern is the dog. Are there ANY parks or grassy areas we could take him to every once in a while? He's the main reason why I started considering UWS and UES more, because we want to be close to a park or something like that.
Battery Park is beautiful.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:39 PM

341 posts, read 1,535,395 times
I lived on Liberty St for 5 years, we have a dog. It's actually a great neighborhood for walks and there are three or 4 parks in battery park.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:39 PM

988 posts, read 3,254,266 times
I almost moved there but the lack of parking was the killer.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
I almost moved there but the lack of parking was the killer.
No parking? That concerns me because we will have a car. I thought some of the buildings have parking garages? We don't mind paying for a monthly garage space.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkny1 View Post
Battery Park is beautiful.
Good to know. Thanks!

Old 05-18-2010, 05:14 PM

988 posts, read 3,254,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
No parking? That concerns me because we will have a car. I thought some of the buildings have parking garages? We don't mind paying for a monthly garage space.
The buildings that I looked at didn't have parking garages in the building, they were a couple blocks away in public garages and was at least $350 + tax and tip per car. We found a building in BK with parking for $150(we have 2 cars). We will sell one this fall. I wanted to actually live in the city and ditch both cars but my wife didn't want to live there and ditch the cars. Of course, the woman won. I should have put my foot down, its very nice down there and actually quiet. Better yet, its a 10 min walk to work.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:14 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,460,693 times
Many of the conversion to rental buildings have parking. There are also multiple parking garages in the area. What I think the other poster meant is that street parking can be a bear. I loved living in the Financial District and still miss it. And I agree - BPC has nice open park areas. During the weekends, the area gets nice and quiet and you will enjoy it even more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City