Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 05:15 PM

979 posts, read 4,445,155 times

Advertisements

I think a while back the Library tried to oust the bums, maybe 10 years or longer ago. The Civil Liberties Union came to their defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 06:04 PM

15,514 posts, read 15,509,807 times
Yes, I use NYPL, and I think maybe it's something to be proud out if our homeless spend their days reading in libraries instead of sprawling in a drunk stupor in the street. I know, the unwashed aspect can get repellent, but it's a public facility.

Reminds me of a time when there was someone like that who used to frequent movies in a theater I went to a lot, and there was always a circle of empty seats around him.

By the way, about bedbugs, although in terms of percentage, I know there's a big uptick, but in terms of actual numbers, it's quite small, I think.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:45 AM

50 posts, read 244,691 times
Yes I use NYPL all the time, especially the Mid-Manhattan branch. I agree there is a bad smell every time I go there. The second and the third floors have been like that for over a year now. I mean Henna has a point and I don't if she complains it. It bothers me as well having to deal with that smell every time I want to borrow a book.

Whats interesting is that I always go to the research branch library across the street on 5th ave and I don't find any smelly people there. This library by the way is so great you just want to go there for the sake of it. It is like a museum. Although it is not fun for me sometimes after leaving that library to go to the Mid-Manhattan one just to pick up an item because it so stinks in there :-)

But I think Mid-Manhattan branch is the only NYPL in the city that has the odor problem. In most other branches I think you won't find smelly people, I've been to a lot other branches and I haven't encounter this problem. I think its because the Mid-Manhattan is on 5th ave, right at the heart of the city and it attracts homeless people. I just go in there take out whatever I need and then if I want to read, I dont read there, I go across the street and read at the research library. This way I avoid smelly people :-) Maybe you should do the same :-)

Old 05-22-2010, 10:14 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,051,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolindapool View Post
Yes I use NYPL all the time, especially the Mid-Manhattan branch. I agree there is a bad smell every time I go there. The second and the third floors have been like that for over a year now. I mean Henna has a point and I don't if she complains it. It bothers me as well having to deal with that smell every time I want to borrow a book.

Whats interesting is that I always go to the research branch library across the street on 5th ave and I don't find any smelly people there. This library by the way is so great you just want to go there for the sake of it. It is like a museum. Although it is not fun for me sometimes after leaving that library to go to the Mid-Manhattan one just to pick up an item because it so stinks in there :-)

But I think Mid-Manhattan branch is the only NYPL in the city that has the odor problem. In most other branches I think you won't find smelly people, I've been to a lot other branches and I haven't encounter this problem. I think its because the Mid-Manhattan is on 5th ave, right at the heart of the city and it attracts homeless people. I just go in there take out whatever I need and then if I want to read, I dont read there, I go across the street and read at the research library. This way I avoid smelly people :-) Maybe you should do the same :-)
Thanks for your post. It confirms a few things for me -
1. I wasn't being over-sensitive - it really did stink
2. It didn't used to be like that when I was more of a regular Mid-Manhattan branch user a few years ago

I think the main library across the street is beautiful, too, but my problem with it is that it's impossible to browse for books there given that you have to request each book and have it retrieved for you. It's rare for me to know exactly what book I am looking for, hence why I wanted to browse the stacks in the Mid-Manhattan.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:30 AM

11,587 posts, read 12,606,502 times
I used to go to the Donell library a lot and that used to have quite a few homeless people there. I don't know if it is still like that.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:17 PM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 19 hours ago)

43,380 posts, read 44,106,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I used to go to the Donell library a lot and that used to have quite a few homeless people there. I don't know if it is still like that.
The Donnell Library on 53rd Street no longer exists.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:02 PM

50 posts, read 244,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Thanks for your post. It confirms a few things for me -
1. I wasn't being over-sensitive - it really did stink
2. It didn't used to be like that when I was more of a regular Mid-Manhattan branch user a few years ago

I think the main library across the street is beautiful, too, but my problem with it is that it's impossible to browse for books there given that you have to request each book and have it retrieved for you. It's rare for me to know exactly what book I am looking for, hence why I wanted to browse the stacks in the Mid-Manhattan.
Ok I get you. The research library is great for those who know what they want :-)

Old 05-23-2010, 07:14 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,599,171 times
Default There are 3 separate Public Library systems in New York City

For those who may not be aware ...

There are 3 separate Public Library systems in New York City:

When the new New York City was formed on January 1, 1898, all municipal agencies were combined into a "New York City" agency, except that the 3 then existing public library systems were not combined, and to this day New York City is serviced by 3 (three) separate public library systems: New York Public Library, Brooklyn Public Library and the Queens Borough Public Library.

1. The New York Public Library serves New York (Manhattan), Richmond (Staten Island) and Bronx (the Bronx) County (Borough).

2. The Brooklyn Public Library serves the County/Borough of Kings/Brooklyn.

3. The Queens Borough Public Library serves the County/Borough of Queens.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:47 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,051,185 times
I guess I was right to be worried. Confirmed: bedbugs in Mid-Manhattan branch of the NYPL.
The New York Public Library is downplaying employee concerns about bed bugs found at its largest, Manhattan branch. - WPIX

Except, apparently for the NYPL, seeing 2 bedbugs in broad daylight doesn't mean there's an "infestation" so they don't have to close. Even if they did close and did eradicate them, they'd be right back travelling in on someone else's stuff.

I know it's not the library's fault so no blame here. Just a warning.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:34 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,651,385 times
Crap. I'm glad I read this. I was just at the Mid-Manhattan a couple weeks ago, and I have some books out now from the Ottendorfer branch. I think I'll cool it on libraries for awhile. No use tempting fate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: