Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 12:56 AM

5 posts, read 60,450 times

Advertisements

Rent control landlords just don't care.

Also, I thought they were only required to paint if you sign a two or three year lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 08:11 AM

18,366 posts, read 31,455,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I'm a landlord and would never want a tenant to paint themselves again. What a mess. It was so much work undoing their "work". Big drips, paint everywhere it wasn't supposed to be, including the kitchen cabinets, bathtub, outlets, etc.
Well, I guess it would depend on the tenant. Not every tenant is handy I suppose. It also seems a lot of tenants don't want to lift a finger when it comes to anything related to the apartment, nor pay for anything.
When I rented for 4 years, I painted 5 times.....The LL saw the color and said that if I move I will not get security back unless it was painted back to the way it was.....anyway, I enjoyed my colors for the whole time......and when I moved, which I moved up a few floors, while the apartment was completly empty, I bought the cheapest off white and painted the whole apartment.....
I got my security back, and we were all happy. I actuallt think the LL was surprises.... LOL, Now I own my apartment and I can do whatever I want. yay !!

But the LL usually uses you crappiest off white paint with the shiny while trim (blech)
To me, since I have been painting since I was 12 (with Dad), I could whip through a room, with no blue tape in a matter of a few hours....
I would never let anyone paint for me.....

Old 05-10-2012, 03:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,005 times
Not everyone is a clod with the paint. If you don't think you cn manage it by all means ask your LL to have it done. Myself I painted my kitchen over myself and did a very nice job ofit. I did it a little at a time. Sadly my LL does not have the integrity I thought he did when I rented from him and refuses to give me the paint to complete the kitchen and rest of the small one bedroom. Paint is not that cheap and in my area Home Depot has stopped featuring "Interior Semi Gloss Latex" by Behr, in the color "Navajo". you have to have it mixed special from a sample paint so I bought a gallon of country white and mixed in an acrylic "antique gold until it was a good match to the original color.
So because I cannot afford more paint for now the apt is only partially pinted and i am disappointed. Now all iI want to do is move. The pool is closed and repairs are nowhere in sight as they hired a contrctor who knew nothing about patching pools and the patches all came off and the health dept closed the pool. They were trying to be cheap and save money so now here in Phoenix AZ where it gets triple digits in the summer... we have no pool and i have a half painted apt... [mod]Consumer complaint[/mod]
Gina Jynx

Last edited by bmwguydc; 05-10-2012 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: C-D is not a consumer complaints site.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:15 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,862,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
I was told the landlord is required once every three years to paint your apt free of charge.
Is this true?

While the LAW requiring a free paiint job every 3 years if the tenant wishes it pertains to rent stabilized apartments and even to old rent controlled apartments:
Quote:
Painting and decorating service where required to be supplied by the owner, is considered to be an essential service included in the maximum rent for a rent controlled apartment. Generally, this means that the owner must paint the tenant's apartment at two-year intervals, or at three-year intervals if it was the owner's practice to paint every third year.
Some landlords of market rate apartments willl abide by the custom. For example, I lived in a Lefrak (huge NYC/Jersey City landlord) apartment for a long time and every three years in came the painters if requested.
Of course, since it is a TOTAL pain in the ass to have your place painted, usually people waited until they felt it was really NEEDED. (Twice I called and twice I cancelled because the task is so daunting for the tenant..."move all the crap to the center of the floor." That's not for the faint of heart and the painters won't lift a thing.

If you're smart you will take off all light switch covers and put masking tape over all plugs or switches. Keep your pet out or they will go over it with a roller and he too will wind up "Navajo White." None of these guys is named Rembrandt.
Schedule it in mild weather so you can keep the windows open and not smother in fumes.
Be precise in telling them what you want done FLAT and what you want done SEMI-GLOSS.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:14 PM

18,366 posts, read 31,455,132 times
again, I think it is better to paint yourself, that way you don't have to turn the whole entire apartment upside down with moving everything into the middle of the room. Thus disturbing the whole entire apartment.

If you can, paint one room at a time, all the rooms over a period of time, or as need be. Obviously kitchens need paint faster than bedrooms....so you might just need to do the kitchen.....I think it is a lot easier that way.

of course there are people that just can't do it, it happens....

Old 05-11-2012, 09:52 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,862,122 times
Quote:
again, I think it is better to paint yourself, that way you don't have to turn the whole entire apartment upside down with moving everything into the middle of the room.

That's becoming my thinking lately too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: