U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 12:50 PM

277 posts, read 728,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulbarer View Post
Okay, as I wrote b4 I live in Albany, NY and I received my section 8 voucher this month after a very long wait. I formerly lived in NYC many years ago as a child. I would like to go back to NYC and have looked over the list of Section 8 accepting apartments available on the NYCHA website. The listing remains although it says there is no more funding for the program of section 8. If I visit the landlord of one of these apartments is it possible I'll be able to use my voucher since it is transportable? Do I need to visit an office? Where do I go first to get started on transporting my voucher? Are they the going to tell me I cannot use my voucher in NYC? I don't want to make the trip for nothing? Please help me understand the process better, thanks, Lynette

Hi Soulbarer,

Most states have a Section 8 office or phone number. Did you try calling your local office? If not, it might be a good start.

Just an FYI:

I have a friend who left NY to live in Baltimore with a Section 8 voucher. She didn't like Baltimore and decided she wanted to live in Virginia. Now she doesn't like Virginia and wants to move to Maryland or back to New York.

Section 8 advised her that she had 3 options. Stay in Virginia or move to Delaware or get off the program. They would not allow her to choose the state she wanted to live in. They also told her she didn't have much time to think about it because programs like these were getting cute left and right.

As of last month she moved to Delaware with her 5 kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 10:58 PM

19 posts, read 60,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsLux View Post
How have you not gotten real answers?

1) Sec. 8 has been closed in NYC.
2) You have been told its better for you to stay in Albany
3) You have been given phone numbers and offices to call.
4) You have had other posters honest about not wanting anymore Sec. 8 leaches in NYC.

They can't get anymore real that than.

What you are looking for is some one to suddenly say "Oh, you know what, I have a way you can move to NYC and circumvent the established order / procedures of the NYCHA. Here, let me do this for you!"

But that isn't going to happen. You get enough hand outs. Quit looking for one here also.
Okay, since when do total strangers tell me what is "better" for me. You slay me. Do you own NYC or something? ROFL. What a welcoming bunch you are

Old 05-25-2010, 12:54 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,583,257 times
Quote:
Okay, since when do total strangers tell me what is "better" for me. You slay me. Do you own NYC or something? ROFL. What a welcoming bunch you are
I think you're best bet is to contact the section 8 office in NYC (718)-707-7771 and listen to the tele-prompts for information or to speak with an agent. However according to the NYCHA site...all current voucher holders who haven't secure housing will not be able to use their vouchers in NYC. So more than likely you will have to move to either the suburban counties immediately bordering NYC (Nassau & Westchester) or parts of NJ closer to Manhattan (Hudson & Essex County). Me personally...I'm with Sobro, you'll probably enjoy your voucher way more if you move somplace else like down south where it's a helluva lot cheaper to live and the quality of life is a lot better, but only you know your needs, but at least consider it.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:27 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,343,485 times
Quote:
Why don't you try landing a JOB in NYC before you move to NYC? Did you ever think of that?

The entitlement mentality that affects a large percentage of the American population is both striking, and depressing.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:30 AM

917 posts, read 1,634,362 times
Quote:
This is a program that is supposed to help you SURVIVE, not to allow you to do whatever you want. It costs the tax payers less to support you in Albany. The people already in NYC on section 8 cannot find housing and are having to move elsewhere, what makes you think you'll be any different? Landlords in good neighborhoods don't take section 8 because they can more money and take fewer risks of ending up with a bad tennant. The bad neighborhoods are overcrowded and under-serviced because they are only places accepting section 8 and businesses aren't interested in investing in those neighborhoods. You can try living in a bad neighborhood or accept the fact that Section 8 is designed to keep a roof over your head wherever you can afford, not wherever you want.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:25 AM

7 posts, read 16,501 times
Quote:

No one welcomes Section 8 people except for section 8 people. If anyone really wanted Section 8 people you'd be able to find a place to stay and you wouldn't have to be on this board tryingt o find a way around the system so you can move to NYC and leech off of others.

And I am telling you what's better for you. Instead of depending on Section 8 you should get a job or two, work hard, learn a trade or business and get promoted so you can better yourself.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:40 AM

2,779 posts, read 2,267,949 times
Quote:
Why would we be welcoming to yet another burden on our system?

What did you expect? You're the one that came on here. People are really tired of these entitlement attitudes and NYC is overwhelmed. Please, don't come to NYC unless you can contribute to society.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:49 AM

142 posts, read 224,796 times
I don't know why everyone is so hard on Section 8 recipients. I see a problem with the way the government handles the program and not the tenants.

When I was looking to rent out my home in ATL I had a nice couple on Section 8 who were interested. It was HELL just getting the information to get my house qualified for rental. The workers in the office were rude and unprofessional. Plus it took them a MONTH just to come out an inspect my home. Well by that time I found another good tenant.

I think that there needs to be a cut off period for an able bodied tenant on Section 8. Also, the tenants should be required to attend job search programs. I am all for helping my fellow man when they are down on their luck and I think that the Section 8 program could be a great tool to help people if it were run correctly.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:52 AM

461 posts, read 1,092,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
Why would we be welcoming to yet another burden on our system?

What did you expect? You're the one that came on here. People are really tired of these entitlement attitudes and NYC is overwhelmed. Please, don't come to NYC unless you can contribute to society.
Well said Makossa. We have enough people in NY on section 8 or some type of program. We don't need more. I recommend the OP either stay in Albany or move to another state since section 8 vouchers are transferable to other states where she can most likely get more bang for her buck and a better quality of life.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:56 AM

142 posts, read 224,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
Well said Makossa. We have enough people in NY on section 8 or some type of program. We don't need more. I recommend the OP either stay in Albany or move to another state since section 8 vouchers are transferable to other states where she can most likely get more bang for her buck and a better quality of life.

I somewhat agree with you. I am only in NYC to advance my career. I am trading my 3 bedroom home with a huge yard, beautiful weather and good food for a huge lot of buildings. NYC isn't a place to live if you don't have a plan or a goal....on or off Section 8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City