Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 03:59 AM

66 posts, read 285,410 times

Advertisements

PS: I'm not on section 8, but my friend is, and he's disabled, which is why I know about it all too well. The only tough part is getting that voucher, but if you have one, you're set and can live anywhere in the US--maybe even some places outside the US but definitely all 50 states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 02:58 AM

19 posts, read 125,255 times
Apparently not, NYC is no longer taking any new Section 8 applicants and even destroyed vouchers. I would surely be de-prioritized since I'm coming from upstate. Also, the woman on the phone at the Section 8 office said NYC does not take transfers anymore..... I doubt she was lying to me, although I will try again and see...

Old 06-11-2010, 05:49 PM

7 posts, read 10,104 times
Wow, I can't believe how rude the people have been on here that have responded to you. Karma is a big one is all I have to say.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:13 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,340 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulbarer View Post
Apparently not, NYC is no longer taking any new Section 8 applicants and even destroyed vouchers. I would surely be de-prioritized since I'm coming from upstate. Also, the woman on the phone at the Section 8 office said NYC does not take transfers anymore..... I doubt she was lying to me, although I will try again and see...
As I understand it, she may have been not "Lying" to you but giving you the information that was given to her by her superiors..Thet have a freeze on Section8, but they not limited to Veterans..they are the only ones that will qualify for housing assistance for now..not a rumor but was stated by Housing
Sect. 6 office and The Dept Of Veterans Affairs..if you are a veteran (qualified) you can go to your local Vet Center and they should be able to assist you

Old 06-14-2010, 11:35 AM

278 posts, read 1,519,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulbarer View Post

Sorry but the woman at the Section 8 office is giving you the correct information. What could come out of calling every week or every month? With this economy I doubt if they will change their minds.

I know you want to be in NY, but it might be a good idea to re-think your plan. Maybe find another way to enter the city through another program or maybe try NJ? .....just a thought.....

Old 06-14-2010, 07:53 PM

51 posts, read 166,659 times
I have lived in NYC my whole life... I can only wish to even qualify of some of the breaks out there... Wouldn't I love to get my hands on a rent controlled apartment lol

<---- close to market rate rent and it sucks lol

Old 08-12-2010, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,307 times
You guys are awful. There are people who have fallen on bad times and rely on these programs to assist them. People want better for themselves and their children that is why they want to live in nice neighborhoods. I don't believe you should stay on it forever but in these times where rent is ridiculously high and the economy is horrendous people are afraid to leave a program that gives them stability. Mister get 2 or 3 jobs to pay rent people on section 8 have children who the hell is going to watch the kids when they are working 3 jobs? Pay someone so the money she is making from the 3 jobs to pay rent now goes to paying for daycare. SHe is better off going to school to advance her self and then getting a job not 3 jobs you idiot so she can get sick from exhaustion and eventually lose a job because of it and then end up homeless.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:58 PM

461 posts, read 2,000,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mari1294 View Post
You guys are awful. There are people who have fallen on bad times and rely on these programs to assist them. People want better for themselves and their children that is why they want to live in nice neighborhoods. I don't believe you should stay on it forever but in these times where rent is ridiculously high and the economy is horrendous people are afraid to leave a program that gives them stability. Mister get 2 or 3 jobs to pay rent people on section 8 have children who the hell is going to watch the kids when they are working 3 jobs? Pay someone so the money she is making from the 3 jobs to pay rent now goes to paying for daycare. SHe is better off going to school to advance her self and then getting a job not 3 jobs you idiot so she can get sick from exhaustion and eventually lose a job because of it and then end up homeless.

The person in this example should just move out of NY altogether and move to a less expensive state or county. No one is entitled to live anywhere. Things change and you must change with the times. Expecting a handout doesn't solve anything.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:53 AM

21 posts, read 40,684 times
For all you section 8 haters out there. Be surprised not all section 8 recipients chose a path of poverty. Just remember that.....

Old 12-05-2010, 11:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,185 times
Isn't it nice how understanding most people are. It makes me want to cry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City