U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 09:57 PM

19 posts, read 61,019 times
Default Another NYC Section 8 Query....HELP

Okay, as I wrote b4 I live in Albany, NY and I received my section 8 voucher this month after a very long wait. I formerly lived in NYC many years ago as a child. I would like to go back to NYC and have looked over the list of Section 8 accepting apartments available on the NYCHA website. The listing remains although it says there is no more funding for the program of section 8. If I visit the landlord of one of these apartments is it possible I'll be able to use my voucher since it is transportable? Do I need to visit an office? Where do I go first to get started on transporting my voucher? Are they the going to tell me I cannot use my voucher in NYC? I don't want to make the trip for nothing? Please help me understand the process better, thanks, Lynette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 10:49 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,343,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulbarer View Post
Okay, as I wrote b4 I live in Albany, NY and I received my section 8 voucher this month after a very long wait. I formerly lived in NYC many years ago as a child. I would like to go back to NYC and have looked over the list of Section 8 accepting apartments available on the NYCHA website. The listing remains although it says there is no more funding for the program of section 8. If I visit the landlord of one of these apartments is it possible I'll be able to use my voucher since it is transportable? Do I need to visit an office? Where do I go first to get started on transporting my voucher? Are they the going to tell me I cannot use my voucher in NYC? I don't want to make the trip for nothing? Please help me understand the process better, thanks, Lynette
You would like to go back to NYC? You can't afford to go back to NYC. Who do you think you are? You want to move there, so you think you have the right to take big money from the taxpayer to fulfill your wishes? (actually, thanks to our stupid policies, I guess you do have that right).

Stay in Albany, or move somewhere else where you can pay the rent or pay a bigger percentage of the rent. Get motivated, work hard, and get off the dole!

Old 05-23-2010, 11:15 PM

Can anyone help with this please? Real answers?

Old 05-23-2010, 11:34 PM

I'm enabled to afford it because I'm on section 8, real answers please, if not do not bother. thanks

Old 05-24-2010, 02:19 AM

863 posts, read 1,018,784 times
Your best bet is obviously to google the section 8 office in NYC and make a phone call. Its obvious that hardworking NYers only want tax payers in the city. And ummm, can u blame them?

Old 05-24-2010, 04:52 AM

6,369 posts, read 10,277,148 times
Even if you could transfer your voucher to NYC you would still run into the same problem that real NY'ers on section 8 have been having for years.... no apartments available.There are many more people walking around the streets with section 8 vouchers than apartments available for them.The fact is that fewer and fewer landlords will rent to section 8 tenants.There may be lots in Albany because Albany does not have a housing shortage.NYC has a housing shortage.Even before the recent cut off there were people with section 8 vouchers who were unable to find apartments in NYC FOR YEARS.
The shortage of available section 8 apartments in NYC is so severe that many NY'ers have had to take their vouchers and move outside the city.... many to Albany,in fact.
Instead of almost demanding answers here( multiple posts with the same questions that you refuse to accept the answers to) to questions that none of us can really answer anyway, you should come to NY and find out for yourself.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:20 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,343,485 times
Quote:
I'm enabled to afford it because I'm on section 8, real answers please, if not do not bother. thanks
Why are you on Section 8? How long have you been on Section 8? Do you plan on being on Section 8 for the rest of your life?

My apologies if you have a real physical disability. Nobody would begrudge your voucher. But if you are not disabled, how do you plan to get off Section 8 and become a productive member of society?

Old 05-24-2010, 07:51 AM

8,752 posts, read 8,614,709 times
My advice to you is not to come back to NYC. If by some miracle you do find an apt, and the voucher is still valid, you will likely be relegated to a place you don't want to live! If you cannot afford to pay rent, you will probably not be able to afford all the other expenses that come with living in NYC. Instead of transferring to NYC, why not transfer to somewhere more affordable and with a better quality of life, like Pennsylvania, Florida, Georgia, the Carolinas?

Maybe in those locations you can save up and buy a place, and move-up the economic ladder? Provide a decent education for your kids? Clean air? Safer streets? Better environment and people? Why move back to a slummy area of NYC with a Section 8 voucher? Use it as an opportunity to find a better place, not to take a step lower. That's my 2 cents as a lifelong NYC resident.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:49 AM

1,901 posts, read 2,664,732 times
What about your job in Albany? Can they transfer you to NYC?

Old 05-24-2010, 12:32 PM

7 posts, read 16,509 times
Quote:
Can anyone help with this please? Real answers?

How have you not gotten real answers?

1) Sec. 8 has been closed in NYC.
2) You have been told its better for you to stay in Albany
3) You have been given phone numbers and offices to call.
4) You have had other posters honest about not wanting anymore Sec. 8 leaches in NYC.

They can't get anymore real that than.

What you are looking for is some one to suddenly say "Oh, you know what, I have a way you can move to NYC and circumvent the established order / procedures of the NYCHA. Here, let me do this for you!"

But that isn't going to happen. You get enough hand outs. Quit looking for one here also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City