Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 05:05 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,364,642 times

Advertisements

I don't get what you're saying. There are not a whole lot of NY type things to do in Southern Brooklyn? The neighborhoods in Southern Brooklyn are some of the few remaining REAL NYC neighborhoods in the city.
There's TONS of REAL NYC stuff to do in these neighborhoods. Go grab a slice and hang out with some of your friends. Have a BBQ, this is real stuff. Hanging out at your local coffee shop drinking $5 lattes or dining at your local Thai restaurant is not considered to be real NY stuff. Thats just Hipster nonesense. (Mind you I actually like Thai food, but the fact that some neighborhoods are able to support a dozen Thai restaurants is just insane).

Southern Brooklyn is less cosmopolitain/more provincial than Park Slope? Once again thats how its supposed to be. Park Slope is the exception, not the rule. Mind you, most people living in places like Williamsburg/Park Slope were born out in the sticks in the Midwest until they "found themselves" and moved to this area.

I would also point out that Bay Ridge is pretty built up, and I wouldn't consider it a to be a completely suburban neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
Mill Basin is in southern Brooklyn and it is quite a way from Manhattan. You have to take a bus for about 10-15 minutes to the subway. Once on the train, it is another 30 minutes to downtown Manhattan. To get to midtown it is closer to an hour. Commuting will be long, and also physically uncomfortable. Trains are crowded and hot.

There is not a whole lot of New York type things to do in southern Brooklyn, although the neighborhoods are interesting and there is neighborhood stuff to do. People tend to be much more provincial and less cosmopolitan than in places like Park Slope or Brooklyn Heights. Thase may or may not be issues for you.

Park Slope and Brooklyn Heights are two of my very favorite neighborhoods in Brooklyn, but they are very expensive. And very urban. At least in southern Brooklyn, you are only a few minutes from the beach and and from other wide-open vistas.

There are plus and minuses to living in southern Brooklyn. It is very, very different from northern and centeral Brooklyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 05:16 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,111,105 times
Well, I wouldn't want to argue with anyone, but I was born in Brooklyn -- and lived in Park Slope and Carroll Gardens. I left an academically-funded place in the Village and when I returned from New England I wasn't able to find a good and affordable place to live in Manhattan--and went back to the borough I knew the best.

So, not everyone in Park Slope is from some Midwest town--and I'd say, offhand, that of those friends and acquaintances I have, as many came from NYC than came from elsewhere.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:00 PM

435 posts, read 1,520,562 times
Mead is Right, southern Brooklyn is how NYC should be. Middle class, urban, trains, pizza shops, good schools, real people. I also vote for Wetern Queens as well.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:56 PM

10,049 posts, read 14,414,649 times
moveme06, It depends on what is most important to you. If city proximity quickly is important, I'd choose Dumbo, Brooklyn Heights, Downtown Brooklyn, Williamsburg, or Greenpoint. You can be in the city in less than 10 mins by living in each of these neighborhoods. If you can spend $3000 for an apartment, you'll get a sweet place in any of these neighborhoods. Broker fees are super typical in New York City. If you do not pay a broker fee, most "by owner" places will still try to collect 1 month rent, last mos rent, and 1 mo security deposit. It depends on their comfort level with renting their apartments to young people.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:21 AM

762 posts, read 1,749,366 times
Default Cobble Hill?

Park Slope is nice but lots of people are leaving because they can't afford it anymore. A friend of mine moved out of the Slope to a better rent on the Upper East Side!

How about Cobble Hill? About ten years ago, I dated a guy there and it seemed pretty nice. His was a decent apartment with character, not fancy, but we used to walk to the movies, restaurants, etc., -- seemed like lots to do there. Some of the buildings on his block had carriage house apartments in the backyards. I would think it has kept on getting better since then, and it's an easy commute into Manhattan. But since it's been so long, I don't know how it is now. Anyone up to date on Cobble Hill?

~~D~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by moveme06 View Post
I'm thinking of moving to Brooklyn. I'd like to hear what you guys think the best areas are. I'm 26 year old single female and will commute to manhattan for work. I'd like a nice, safe, trendy area with young professionals. Somewhere close to transportation is a plus. I Can spend up to $3000/month for a place. I've heard that Fort Greene and Park Slope are nice. Any others?? I appreciate your input

Last edited by citychik; 06-22-2007 at 01:33 AM..

Old 06-22-2007, 07:31 AM

319 posts, read 493,595 times
Let's pray this disease stays in Park Slope, DUMBO, etc., and doesn't spread down to the working-class neighborhoods.
I've already seen a couple of these pr*cks walking around here.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:13 AM

762 posts, read 1,749,366 times
Unhappy Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneBKLYN View Post
Let's pray this disease stays in Park Slope, DUMBO, etc., and doesn't spread down to the working-class neighborhoods.
I've already seen a couple of these pr*cks walking around here.
WTF? I don't get it.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:17 AM

335 posts, read 1,435,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
WTF? I don't get it.
this *might* help:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...up-coming.html

dude has a serious chip on his shoulder and needs every opportunity to vent.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:39 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I don't get what you're saying. There are not a whole lot of NY type things to do in Southern Brooklyn? The neighborhoods in Southern Brooklyn are some of the few remaining REAL NYC neighborhoods in the city.
There's TONS of REAL NYC stuff to do in these neighborhoods. Go grab a slice and hang out with some of your friends. Have a BBQ, this is real stuff. Hanging out at your local coffee shop drinking $5 lattes or dining at your local Thai restaurant is not considered to be real NY stuff. Thats just Hipster nonesense. (Mind you I actually like Thai food, but the fact that some neighborhoods are able to support a dozen Thai restaurants is just insane).

Southern Brooklyn is less cosmopolitain/more provincial than Park Slope? Once again thats how its supposed to be. Park Slope is the exception, not the rule. Mind you, most people living in places like Williamsburg/Park Slope were born out in the sticks in the Midwest until they "found themselves" and moved to this area.

I would also point out that Bay Ridge is pretty built up, and I wouldn't consider it a to be a completely suburban neighborhood.
I agree with much of what you are saying. The neighborhoods in southern Brooklyn are real neighborhoods, and they are traditional NYC neighborhoods.

What I meant by "New York type things to do" was the things people normally associate with a world city. Things such as big name arts, museums, etc. Stuff that is usually done in Manhattan, or downtown Brooklyn. As opposed to the neighborhood/community activities in the residential areas, especially in the outer boroughs.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:00 AM

1 posts, read 9,223 times
Hi,

I am an artist moving to NY in september from London, and am desperate to find a good live/work raw loft in the brooklyn area. As I am going to be moving to a new city and living alone I want to stick to the more 'manhattan-ish' areas, does anyone know any good sites on which to find these sorts of residential properties.

Many Thanks xx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: