U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 05:34 PM

3 posts, read 116,383 times
Default List Best areas in Brooklyn

I'm thinking of moving to Brooklyn. I'd like to hear what you guys think the best areas are. I'm 26 year old single female and will commute to manhattan for work. I'd like a nice, safe, trendy area with young professionals. Somewhere close to transportation is a plus. I Can spend up to $3000/month for a place. I've heard that Fort Greene and Park Slope are nice. Any others?? I appreciate your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 05:39 PM

10,184 posts, read 17,853,887 times
Here's a helpful link to Brooklyn neighbourhoods.

Carroll Gardens Homepage (http://www.smalltownbrooklyn.com/carrollgardens/carrollhome.html - broken link)

Old 06-19-2007, 08:28 PM

31 posts, read 180,084 times
Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Mill Basin, and Dumbo

Old 06-19-2007, 10:09 PM

1,536 posts, read 19,800 times
If you move into Fort Greene, stay away from the projects in that area.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:51 PM

1,737 posts, read 3,901,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedievalinNYC View Post
Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Mill Basin, and Dumbo
Park Slope, BK Heights.....have some cash....A LOT OF CASH!!!!!

Dumbo......see Park Slope, BK Heights!

Mill Basin.....Public trans an issue!

Old 06-19-2007, 11:30 PM

3 posts, read 116,383 times
Thanks for your input. So do any of you know of a good place to find subleases? Craigslist seems to be good for Manhattan but there's not much there for Brooklyn besides shares. I'm trying to stay away from Brokers because their fees are outrageous, although after searching for the past month I see why they charge so much. I'm from Michigan and it's unheard of for a buyer or renter to pay a broker so it's a bit of a culture shock

Old 06-20-2007, 12:34 PM

119 posts, read 604,752 times
Mill Basin is trendy now??

Old 06-20-2007, 01:26 PM

1,434 posts, read 4,367,196 times
Mill Basin is in southern Brooklyn and it is quite a way from Manhattan. You have to take a bus for about 10-15 minutes to the subway. Once on the train, it is another 30 minutes to downtown Manhattan. To get to midtown it is closer to an hour. Commuting will be long, and also physically uncomfortable. Trains are crowded and hot.

There is not a whole lot of New York type things to do in southern Brooklyn, although the neighborhoods are interesting and there is neighborhood stuff to do. People tend to be much more provincial and less cosmopolitan than in places like Park Slope or Brooklyn Heights. Thase may or may not be issues for you.

Park Slope and Brooklyn Heights are two of my very favorite neighborhoods in Brooklyn, but they are very expensive. And very urban. At least in southern Brooklyn, you are only a few minutes from the beach and and from other wide-open vistas.

There are plus and minuses to living in southern Brooklyn. It is very, very different from northern and centeral Brooklyn.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:30 PM

319 posts, read 3,551 times
Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights for a laidback semi-suburban lifestyle.

Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights for more of an urban, Manhattan-ish setting.

If you're a yuppie please choose the Park Slope area.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:34 PM

10,184 posts, read 17,853,887 times
If you are in or near NYC, most of the subleases are on posts at neighbourhood shops, cafes, etc.--especially in Park Slope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City