Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 11:51 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times

Advertisements

Why would a tourist be drawn to Jersey City? Where are the world-class museums, theatres, restaurants, and shopping districts? There is an arts presence, but not to the level of international fame and attraction that is New York. That's why people come to New York, not because there are some tall buildings.

Why would anyone be afraid if NJ has a skyline? The majority of buildings have no attraction for the general public, unless they work in them, because the majority are not open to the public. Personally, I think it's a good thing, since that proves that people are not fleeing the region if new buildings are needed. And, it's much nicer to look across the river at a skyline of mirrored development, than one of factories, or shipyards.

And, with regard to sports...the argument is with the owners of the teams, not with residents of New York. They don't name their teams for New Jersey, and it has absolutely nothing to do with residents of the city/state of New York, as there is no law on the books requiring that the teams be named for New York. As a business decision, the New York name is retained because of the international reputation that "New York" (as in NYC) brings to the respective franchise. They want people to know that the teams are in the NYC metro area; and while changing the name to NJ would appease some fans, it would also diminish the value of the franchise as a marketing concern because "New Jersey" does not have the same international reputation, which it couldn't because it's an entire state, not the city. It's the city for whom the teams are named, not the state, which is why the owners do not change them.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-27-2010, 12:02 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
One note, (with the moderator's star illuminated)...This thread is NOT going to turn into a skyline battle thread that's akin to the City vs. City subforum of General U.S.

If this thread remains relevant to NYC, and a discussion of the two areas within the context of the Metro, then it's acceptable. Anything else, it's a topic for a different forum, and since there's a moratorium in CvC regarding skyline threads, I cannot send it there. Your cooperation is appreciated. Thank you.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-27-2010, 03:35 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctovt View Post
The state of New Jersey seems to welcome any kind of toxic materials dumped there.It's like they encourage it.What is the benefit to the state or it's citizens.It's just nasty and not healthy.
Wow. Good way to perpetuate 30 year old, outdated stereotypes.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:51 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Why would a tourist be drawn to Jersey City? Where are the world-class museums, theatres, restaurants, and shopping districts? There is an arts presence, but not to the level of international fame and attraction that is New York. That's why people come to New York, not because there are some tall buildings.

Why would anyone be afraid if NJ has a skyline? The majority of buildings have no attraction for the general public, unless they work in them, because the majority are not open to the public. Personally, I think it's a good thing, since that proves that people are not fleeing the region if new buildings are needed. And, it's much nicer to look across the river at a skyline of mirrored development, than one of factories, or shipyards.

And, with regard to sports...the argument is with the owners of the teams, not with residents of New York. They don't name their teams for New Jersey, and it has absolutely nothing to do with residents of the city/state of New York, as there is no law on the books requiring that the teams be named for New York. As a business decision, the New York name is retained because of the international reputation that "New York" (as in NYC) brings to the respective franchise. They want people to know that the teams are in the NYC metro area; and while changing the name to NJ would appease some fans, it would also diminish the value of the franchise as a marketing concern because "New Jersey" does not have the same international reputation, which it couldn't because it's an entire state, not the city. It's the city for whom the teams are named, not the state, which is why the owners do not change them.
Well , wait 10 years were still in the Urban Renewal phase. But in 10 years will have an Arts , at least 6 shopping avenues , a few more Museums , and Large Diversified Restaurant disrect. I actually just described all Urban Jersey Areas , Jersey City and Newark are leading the packs in Urban Renewal. We are sucking alot of New Yorkers over here with our lower rent prices and taxes on daily life. Most New Yorkers don't know that , but there mistakes are making gains for us. Actually Newark has a bigger edge on Jersey City thanks to Cory Bookers In't Marketing. Newark is also in a race now to clean up its CBD for the 2014 Superbowl. I think New Yorker's should give us credit for trying , and our Urban Renewal strides. The Factories and Industrial buildings are being renovated like I said , unlike in NYC were they tear them down.....I think NJ is very good a preserving its past compared to NYC , yet we receive no credit on that. By 2050 even the Empire state Building will be torn down and made into a Modern Skyscraper.....its really bad that you guys are slowly destroying your history. Most of the Region's biggest accomplishments were made in Jersey , but no credit for that either. Like the Jersey Barrier , the High Speed Train set was tested in NJ , in Princeton JCT , Blimpes was founded in Hoboken , Campbell Soup and numerous Pharmaceutical companies are located here and yet no credit is given to us, it goes to NYC. Just give us some fair credit and will stop the moaning and whining.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:16 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,195 times
I say we just all agree that each place has something to offer for everyone

As for the OP's original question, its not just NY but in general across the US, people from other states seem to have a negative connotation of NJ. I'm not sure where it came from but honestly until you have LIVED here, you can't pass judgement. Same goes for any place.

I'm a transplanted NY'er and been in Jersey the past 4 yrs. I love NJ more than NY.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:30 AM

88,563 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctovt View Post
The state of New Jersey seems to welcome any kind of toxic materials dumped there.It's like they encourage it.What is the benefit to the state or it's citizens.It's just nasty and not healthy.Plus those ridiculous property taxes.
That's a little corny, and way out of date to boot.

How exactly does NJ "welcome" toxic materials dumped there?

Old 05-27-2010, 07:52 AM

142 posts, read 418,698 times
I feel like the NJ vs. NYC bashing is very similar to the US vs. Canada bashing. It's all very silly. Why fight over a city anyway? *Hands out cookies*

Old 05-27-2010, 08:04 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
the cool people love both

like someone else elequently put it: 'have you seen the rest of the country?"

Old 05-27-2010, 08:53 AM

576 posts, read 1,596,658 times
Seriously........ who cares?

Old 05-27-2010, 09:40 AM

939 posts, read 2,311,228 times

but having posted that... i love nj. been going there since i was a kid to visit relatives. out side of a few areas, it really is the garden state...

and sandy hook/sea bright are special places places for me *tears up*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City