U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 05:18 PM

39 posts, read 123,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
^^^^^Ok we can discuss how we raise our kids forever and it wouldn't matter. I know of people that wonder how we are even able to raise kids in NYC but we have and will continue too. I just feel Sunset Park is so close to Park Slope, its probably going to be expensive as PS eventually, why not give this student/mother a break on an expensive rent in Park Slope and pay 1/4 or 1/3(some times half) less in SP. All this crime/gang violence you hear about is only perputuated in small circles mostly the locals/minorities. She can live there for years without even witnessing any of it.
I currently live in the Prospect-Lefferst area, please do not tell me this is a bad area either. If you believe so go check out the Prospect Lefferts house tours link below. These brownstones are about half the cost of a similar home in Park Slope, why because its not Park Slope. Perfect area resides next to Prospect Park/Botanical Gardens/Brooklyn Museum close to the Childrens Museum.

Brownstoner: Prospect Lefferts Gardens

Where did I ever suggest that Prospect Lefferts was a bad area - I know the area fairly well and am aware of it's up and comings.
Crime/gang violence has no racial or social class barriers, and I'm not saying that she and her child will become involved in this. What I'm saying is that she will be in a higher crime area, and can become victim/target to her surroundings. " She can live there for years without even witnessing it", please....get real! What should she do, come home from class and hide in the apartment each night!!! I spent a decent amount of time in the area and have witnessed enough to state my case! Come on over with me and visit for a while, and make your decisions on which streets she should avoid (and there are MANY) - won't leave much to choose from!
Don't compare Sunset Park to Prospect Lefferts - they're not on the same level yet. Prospect Lefferts has had a complete turnaround because of all the things it has to offer (Children's Museum, Botanic Garden, etc.) in the vicinity. What does Sunset Park have to offer? Why are all these newcomers moving into Prospect Lefferts to pay lower prices for a brownstone than Park Slope - what's preventing them from moving to Sunset Park, where they could even get much much more for their money?
She can do better - and still have access to Park Slope!

Last edited by bklynmomof3; 06-03-2010 at 05:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 09:00 PM

2,296 posts, read 4,515,449 times
I often wonder which is more important in raising a happy, healthy child ... the environment inside the home or the environment outside the home? Seems to me that we speak so much about finding the perfect neighborhood that we're not thinking about the role of the people inside the home in shaping the child.

Honestly, I don't understand the term "family friendly neighborhood" and why Park Slope is better in this respect than, say, Bay Ridge. Given that you have kids raised in the best neighborhoods who are lazy azz, spoiled, weed heads who drive drunk and kill people every year, what makes one area more "family friendly" than the other? I would not want my kids exposed to these druggies any more than to packs of young men roaming around aimlessly.

Poor people and lower income families have raised and continue to raise happy, healthy children in circumstances that aren't the greatest, and they turn out fine.

Personally, I wouldn't move to Park Slope because I think it's more hype than substance. I don't know Sunset Park so I can't comment. There are other neighborhoods in the general vicinity of Park Slope that are also nice and less expensive. For example, Ditmas Park and Kensington or Midwood. In Ditmas Park you might find an apartment in a Victorian home with backyard access. Living in a cheaper neighborhood might also save you enough to afford private school if school quality is a factor.

Finally, you don't have to live in Park Slope to experience it. It's not on Mars ... you can visit it as well as many other places around the city to give your child exposure to areas outside their own neighborhood. IMO, a neighborhood isn't a formula for the success for a child ... a parent is

Technites in DA HOUSE!
I'M A PROUD graduate of Brooklyn Technical HS too!!!

Old 06-03-2010, 10:41 PM

30 posts, read 97,472 times
Queensgrl - Well of course the parents and family home are the most important factor in raising a child! But the fact is, I'm going to be coming to New York to study full-time, so my son will be in daycare 5 days a week, and I'd like the time we do have together (getting to and from daycare + evenings and weekends) to be a safe, stress-free time. As someone else mentioned, it's also not all that long till I'll need to think about school zones, and getting my son into a good school when the time comes will be a priority for me.

Thanks to everyone's input I've come to the conclusion that Sunset Park is not 'bad' as such, but I will be certainly trying my hardest to find a shared apt in Park Slope/South Slope.

Now.. any ideas on how I can convince people to let a single mother rent out a room in their house?

Thanks everyone for your help!

Old 06-04-2010, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemirah View Post
Queensgrl - Well of course the parents and family home are the most important factor in raising a child! But the fact is, I'm going to be coming to New York to study full-time, so my son will be in daycare 5 days a week, and I'd like the time we do have together (getting to and from daycare + evenings and weekends) to be a safe, stress-free time. As someone else mentioned, it's also not all that long till I'll need to think about school zones, and getting my son into a good school when the time comes will be a priority for me.

Thanks to everyone's input I've come to the conclusion that Sunset Park is not 'bad' as such, but I will be certainly trying my hardest to find a shared apt in Park Slope/South Slope.

Now.. any ideas on how I can convince people to let a single mother rent out a room in their house?

Thanks everyone for your help!
I understand. I was in grad school recently and it wasn't easy juggling life. Check Craigslist for an apt. Good luck.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:13 AM

2,252 posts, read 4,315,539 times
I don't get why anyone would want to pay over a grand to rent a room, with a child, in someone's house when you can rent a decent studio or one bedroom apartment of your own in Bay Ridge for that price.

Bay Ridge is just south of Sunset Park and while you will sacrifice a bit of transportation time because the R train is local to 59th Street, it is a great family neighborhhood with lots of parks and things to do.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:18 AM

39 posts, read 123,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
I don't get why anyone would want to pay over a grand to rent a room, with a child, in someone's house when you can rent a decent studio or one bedroom apartment of your own in Bay Ridge for that price.

Bay Ridge is just south of Sunset Park and while you will sacrifice a bit of transportation time because the R train is local to 59th Street, it is a great family neighborhhood with lots of parks and things to do.
I agree with you totally!

Zemirah: You can place a free classified on Brooklynian.com
Why not broaden your desired area a bit, and see what becomes available? You don't need to live in the heart of Park Slope to enjoy what
interests you - public transportation in NYC takes care of that!

Last edited by bklynmomof3; 06-05-2010 at 06:39 AM..

Old 06-05-2010, 06:44 AM

19,210 posts, read 32,719,007 times
i actually think sunset park could work for the OP as long as she is not coming home at like midnight - 1 AM. a lot of posts like this are started by people who are concerned about their safety coming home late at night. they want the williamsburg lifestyle but want to pay coney island rent...lol.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-05-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynmomof3 View Post
I agree with you totally!

Zemirah: You can place a free classified on Brooklynian.com
Why not broaden your desired area a bit, and see what becomes available? You don't need to live in the heart of Park Slope to enjoy what
interests you - public transportation in NYC takes care of that!
I agree too and made several other suggestions but she appears to be set on south slope or park slope and she's provided her reasons.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:40 PM

30 posts, read 97,472 times
I am looking into all your suggestions, but a commute of 45 minutes is my absolute max. Any more than that, and I'll hardly see my son at all.

One more question - what do you think about the border area between Sunset Park and Borough Park? I know Boro Park is meant to be heavily Hassidic Jewish, but if I'm respectful of them, will they offer me the same courtesy? Is the border there a safer area of Sunset Park?

Edited to add- While we're at it; does anyone want to suggest neighborhoods in other boroughs I should look at? Remember: max commute is 45 minutes to Lincoln Center, tight budget (prefer less than $1200/month rent), safe area. How's the very north of Manhattan?

Old 06-05-2010, 04:44 PM

^^
Sorry but I'm not familiar with that area. However I looked in Kensington, which is just east of Borough Park, and it seemed nice, quiet & safe. It's also close to Prospect Park. The F and G trains service Kensington. I believe that the D and M trains service Borough Park although I've heard that the M is supposed to be re-routed next month.
Travel time from McDonald & Church Aves (Kensington) to Lincoln Center is 45 minutes per the MTA Trip Planner. Time from Borough Park would probably be similar.
I also looked in upper Manhattan and liked the Fort George neighborhood of Washington Heights. The only weird thing about it was that you either had to take several stairs or an elevator to the A train at 190th Street. However your commute would be about 25 minutes. I wasn't interested in the side served by the #1 train because it's a local.
Consider Sunnyside or Astoria in Queens. Depending upon proximity to the train, your commute could be about 30 minutes to Lincoln Center.

Last edited by queensgrl; 06-05-2010 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City