U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 04:55 PM

6,967 posts, read 17,767,239 times

Advertisements

park slope
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 05:45 PM

10,626 posts, read 20,764,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
^^
Sorry but I'm not familiar with that area. However I looked in Kensington, which is just east of Borough Park, and it seemed nice, quiet & safe. It's also close to Prospect Park. The F and G trains service Kensington. I believe that the D and M trains service Borough Park although I've heard that the M is supposed to be re-routed next month.
Travel time from McDonald & Church Aves (Kensington) to Lincoln Center is 45 minutes per the MTA Trip Planner. Time from Borough Park would probably be similar.
I also looked in upper Manhattan and liked the Fort George neighborhood of Washington Heights. The only weird thing about it was that you either had to take several stairs or an elevator to the A train at 190th Street. However your commute would be about 25 minutes. I wasn't interested in the side served by the #1 train because it's a local.
Consider Sunnyside or Astoria in Queens. Depending upon proximity to the train, your commute could be about 30 minutes to Lincoln Center.
Agree w/ Sunnyside & Astoria suggestions. I don't think it's wise to even consider those neighborhoods in Brooklyn that come out to a 45 min commute on the MTA trip planner, because that is not the actual commute time - it does not include the walk to and from the stations on each end.

You are always going to have to go further out in Brooklyn than you are in Queens to get rents of $1200. In other words, if your rent budget is $1200 and you choose to live in Queens, you can live closer to Manhattan and have a shorter commute time.

Check the Parenting & Families area of the astorians website. Parenting & Families

Old 06-05-2010, 07:56 PM

423 posts, read 1,103,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zemirah View Post
I am looking into all your suggestions, but a commute of 45 minutes is my absolute max. Any more than that, and I'll hardly see my son at all.

One more question - what do you think about the border area between Sunset Park and Borough Park? I know Boro Park is meant to be heavily Hassidic Jewish, but if I'm respectful of them, will they offer me the same courtesy? Is the border there a safer area of Sunset Park?

Edited to add- While we're at it; does anyone want to suggest neighborhoods in other boroughs I should look at? Remember: max commute is 45 minutes to Lincoln Center, tight budget (prefer less than $1200/month rent), safe area. How's the very north of Manhattan?
Yes, the border area between Sunset and Borough Park is safe. There's only ONE area that I would consider not safe and that's 40th street and 10th avenue by the elevated D train. Everything else is very safe... the Jewish community even have their own cops which patrol the area... which I know is offtopic, but it creates some problems between the hispanic kids in my neighborhood and them, because it seems like they target and follow hispanics.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:01 PM

30 posts, read 97,506 times
Thanks Andez - that's really helpful

Old 06-13-2010, 08:46 AM

2 posts, read 8,858 times
I don't want my comment to be viewed as a "flame"....but I've raised 5 kids in Sunset Park - each the product of local schools - 1 went to Brooklyn Tech and 2 went to Stuyvesant, the other two we felt needed a less competitive school environment and didn't take the test for the specialized schools. My kids are "white bread" and yet none ever had a problem on the streets of sunset park. I grew up in Park Slope on President Street btwen 5th & 6th many years ago and maintain ties and friendships in the area. 4th Avenue in sunset park is at the very least equal to park slope's 4th avenue if not safer - in terms of traffic and/or crime. street crime and kid-age violence is much greater throughout park slope than sunset park. sorry to be direct, but anyone who says otherwise is writing based on their own prejudiced perceptions and fears.

the days of sunset park high crime are the very distant past. the days of roaming gangs grabbing kids to join gangs is a myth - unless the kids were already at risk and came from absentee parenting. my kids stayed away from druggies in sunset park, and also in their schools - you can't believe the number of kids in tech & stuy that are into heavy drug use.

i wouldn't want to live on 4th avenue in any area - park slope thru to bay ridge, there is high traffic and lots of double parking.

to this day my kids still go off the "safe" blocks....lol and walk the streets, bike the streets and run in the park.

and to the contrary or other posters comments - sunset park has numerous safe blocks with a handful of sketchy blocks.

park slope has more sketchy blocks than sunset.

this is not my perception based on limited experience, this is my living in both areas all my life and raising very wonderful kids in sunset.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,497 times
Default Sunset Park: diamond in the rough

I was born & raised in Brooklyn and live now in Sunset Park (educated caucasian male) and I can tell you, Sunset Park is a great blend of culture and some of the most authentic restaurants (Mexican, Domenican, Peruvian, Chinese) around. Beneath its scrappy exterior you'll see it's family-oriented and the neighbors, store owners etc look out for each other - one of the last few "neighborhoods" in NY like this.

It's also home to one of the highest points in BK and boasts a spectacular view of NY Harbor, in Sunset Park.

If you know about the geography of BK and pattern of its growth, you'll notice that Sunset is right between two expensive areas: Bay Ridge and Park Slope, which are continuing to expand into Sunset Park. This will mean that Sunset Park will be gentrified in the next few years, maybe even sooner with the Brooklyn Stadium going up. Anyone interested in investing would be wise to take a look at Sunset for sure.

I know of a good 1BR rental w/ private garden and basement storage, close by N/R/D trains, and am happy to put you in touch, if you're interested. Hope this helps and good luck!

Old 07-17-2010, 08:04 AM

423 posts, read 1,103,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh P. Weinstein View Post
I was born & raised in Brooklyn and live now in Sunset Park (educated caucasian male) and I can tell you, Sunset Park is a great blend of culture and some of the most authentic restaurants (Mexican, Domenican, Peruvian, Chinese) around. Beneath its scrappy exterior you'll see it's family-oriented and the neighbors, store owners etc look out for each other - one of the last few "neighborhoods" in NY like this.

It's also home to one of the highest points in BK and boasts a spectacular view of NY Harbor, in Sunset Park.

If you know about the geography of BK and pattern of its growth, you'll notice that Sunset is right between two expensive areas: Bay Ridge and Park Slope, which are continuing to expand into Sunset Park. This will mean that Sunset Park will be gentrified in the next few years, maybe even sooner with the Brooklyn Stadium going up. Anyone interested in investing would be wise to take a look at Sunset for sure.

I know of a good 1BR rental w/ private garden and basement storage, close by N/R/D trains, and am happy to put you in touch, if you're interested. Hope this helps and good luck!
Great post.

And about your gentrified comment... I don't exactly know what that entails, but I don't think it's gonna curb the amount of new chinese, mexican and south american immigrants moving into the neighborhood. For a while these people will be the dominate group .

Old 07-17-2010, 08:51 AM

2,296 posts, read 4,516,861 times
The OP said she'd be moving in August. So what's the verdict?

Old 07-17-2010, 02:05 PM

194 posts, read 534,573 times
Did she ever note which grad school she's attending? Did I miss it? That might have helped a lot, in terms of recommending areas.

(And honestly, if a 45 minute commute is the absolute max, that's not going to leave terribly many options.)

Old 07-17-2010, 05:00 PM

30 posts, read 97,506 times
Hi everyone. Thanks for your help. I've written and called re. at least 50 ads, (including Sunset Park, Park Slope area) but didn't find anyone willing to rent to me without a US guarantor (even though I offered to pay the entire rent up front).

I've found a 2 month sublet in Clinton, and hopefully within that time I will have found something longer term. I'm now focussing on Inwood.

I mentioned before that I will be the first single mother coming to my grad school, so although the student affairs dept were vaguely helpful, they told me they weren't able to help in my situation. (They offered links to student share houses, but not much else)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City