U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-27-2010, 06:37 PM

30 posts, read 71,532 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm moving to New York (from Australia) this August to start grad. study, I'm coming with my 2.5 year old son and have a monthly rent budget of $1100-$1300 for 1 bedroom apt.

A few questions:

*I've been looking into Sunset Park area; it fits my budget but I've been told conflicting information about whether it's safe and family friendly or not. I speak Spanish, so a latino area is fine, as long as it's quiet and safe.

*Park Slope looks great - is it totally out of my price range?

Thanks for your help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 07:56 PM

523 posts, read 1,529,589 times
Park Slope is out of your range. Very nice area though
Sunset is not the most exciting area but I would not say unsafe (although I have not lived there myself, used to work there in the daytime). Around 4th ave is bleak and industrial but further east (6th-8th ave) seems nice.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:09 AM

12,237 posts, read 11,742,373 times
Sunset is a large Hispanic area. It is safe. The trains run along 4th Ave. It is much more affordable than Park Slope.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:29 AM

39 posts, read 87,778 times
I have lived in Park Slope and Windsor Terrace Brooklyn for over 30 years. Although Sunset Park is up and coming, and much safer than years past, it still has a way to go. Park Slope will definitely be out of your price range - you would be lucky to find a studio apt. for $1400.
You may be interested in an area that borders Park Slope and Sunset Park that may be in your price range - Greenwood Heights. RapidNYC.com is a realtor that you can check out to get an idea of the rent prices in these areas.
I am presently living in Windsor Terrace, and it's a wonderful community with a very nice school system (great place to raise a child - so much to do and see!). It's not as crowded as Park Slope and Sunset Park and you may be able to find a one bedroom apartment for $1300. You can also look into Bay Ridge, which you will definitely find something within your price range - and it's a very nice community as well.
Good luck in your search!

Old 05-28-2010, 09:51 PM

30 posts, read 71,532 times
Thanks everyone - I appreciate your advice

Old 05-28-2010, 10:04 PM

7,127 posts, read 11,832,300 times
Where is your grad school located? Maybe you should look into Queens. $1000-$1300 goes further and puts you in nicer neighborhood in Queens than it does in Brooklyn, in my opinion.

If you answer w/ school location, people might be able to suggest specific neighborhoods that would be convenient for your commute.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:34 AM

2 posts, read 6,455 times
Sunset Park is an extremely safe neighborhood as long as you do the following: avoid being out in the middle of the night (that includes the park) and avoid the more industrial (and deserted area) below 4th Avenue (some may say below 3rd).

There are specific blocks that can be dangerous - you will recognize it quickly - lots of huge apartment houses (most of the community is 2 and 3 family buildings - very safe). also, if you see lots of street life on the sidestreet - sketchy types just hanging out doing nothing it is the sign of a possible problem.

Enough of the negative (well, one more - since you have a young child, i doubt that this involves you, but if you are looking for an active nightlife you will find yourself constantly traveling to williamsburg, park slope or even bay ridge (ugh).

the positive's - transportation is incredible - lots of buses and great connecting subways. the subways are very safe - even late at night - thanks to high volume of riders.

another huge positive - shopping - everything you need will be a block or two from your apartment. in fact, after a few weeks, you will be able to comparison shop and find the cheapest fruits, vegetables, meats, etc. (prices of fruit & veggies can be one-half that of manhattan's).

the variety of stores is great - everything from furniture to beauty care to 99cent stores, to clothes, and on and on...and again, you can comparison shop - no such thing as, it being the only store and you have to take it.

another positive is the people - you can visit the entire world without leaving your neighborhood. the area is about 40 - 40 spanish & chinese. but remember each of those labels is a generalization. there are about 8 major spanish cultures and about 5 chinese (more appropriately asian). add to this numerous europeans - some oldtimers, some new - italy, ireland, germany, etc. a few blocks east and you will see hassidic jews in their unique dress. the arab population is also rather substantial.

So if you are looking to rub shoulders with the world - sunset park is the place - you could eat in a different culture's restaurant every night for months - and not spend your entire paycheck.

The best blocks - in terms of quietness - are in the higher avenues - especially 6th to 7th. but on each block it is best to not be too close to the corners - corners tend to be collecting places for people to hangout. also, even if you are living between 4th & 5th - even though 4th is a major vehicular road, and even though 5th is a major shopping area, if you get about 8 houses away from 4th or 5th it will be very quiet.

during the night - from around 11 pm to 6 am - most sidestreets have less than a vehicle an hour going by. oops, almost forgot - 39, 49, 50, 60 are very noisy blocks compared to the others because of bus & some truck traffic.

hope this helps and i hope you select sunset park...by the way, queens might be a good suggestion except transportation can be a real problem.

good luck

Last edited by teegee11220; 06-02-2010 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 06-02-2010, 07:58 AM

2,019 posts, read 2,612,710 times
Look in to Bay Ridge.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:06 AM

39 posts, read 87,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Look in to Bay Ridge.
I agree - Sunset Park not a great place to raise a kid!
Also, fourth Ave. is extremely dangerous for pedestrians (many hit and runs - including my 11 yr. old cousin who was killed crossing 4th ave. & 32nd street).
With a 2 year old, you're better off finding a neighborhood in Brooklyn that is a bit more quieter and residential. Sunset Park is not, unless you plan to keep your child on one of their very few safe blocks at all times!

Old 06-02-2010, 10:42 AM

191 posts, read 385,133 times
^^^^? 4th avenue goes all the way to Atlantic Ave through Park Slope so that doesn't mean anything. Sunset is not the prettiest of neighborhoods but it doesn't means its not safe either. 3rd Avenue is pretty grungy sketchy looking and crossing that avenue can be scary. You can raise kids in the upper east side and they can turn out to be weed head drug dealers, I should know I knew of some so saying you can't raise a kid here is just rhetorical.

Last edited by Ruready4Bklyn; 06-02-2010 at 10:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City