U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2010, 06:43 PM

10 posts, read 11,025 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody,

I and my wife (26/25) are planning on moving to New York City, preferably close to the city, which could allow us to commute to the center, if necessary.
We currently live in Fargo, ND for about two years by now. I am from Berlin, Germany and my wife from Minnesota. She works as an RN in the ER and I work for Microsoft (no possibility to get transferred). I currently attend college to obtain my Degree in Computer Science. We would like to move by October 2010, so we need to start applying, which leads me to open this thread. My wife is the main priority, since she is able possess a degree (RN), so we have to concentrate on her job first, before I start applying.
I am aware of resources like nursingjob.org, career-builder.com or monster.com. But I would like to include the local resources like newspaper or any other paper that are interesting for job hunters. It is hard to determine which area we would like to move to, that's why the job hunt comes first. We would like to avoid areas like Staten Island or Brooklyn. Queens seems acceptable, as well as the west-side in NJ (Hobokken, or even further west). But we could also imagine to live somewhere on Long Island (closer to the city, which might prevent a short commute, nevertheless) or up north of NYC (Bronx, or even further), Manhatten is interesting as well. Important is a nice and safe area of course.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good newspaper? I suppose New York Times would be a good suggestion. But what else?

Thank you in advance. Stefan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 01:43 PM

39 posts, read 123,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germerican08 View Post
Hey everybody,

I and my wife (26/25) are planning on moving to New York City, preferably close to the city, which could allow us to commute to the center, if necessary.
We currently live in Fargo, ND for about two years by now. I am from Berlin, Germany and my wife from Minnesota. She works as an RN in the ER and I work for Microsoft (no possibility to get transferred). I currently attend college to obtain my Degree in Computer Science. We would like to move by October 2010, so we need to start applying, which leads me to open this thread. My wife is the main priority, since she is able possess a degree (RN), so we have to concentrate on her job first, before I start applying.
I am aware of resources like nursingjob.org, career-builder.com or monster.com. But I would like to include the local resources like newspaper or any other paper that are interesting for job hunters. It is hard to determine which area we would like to move to, that's why the job hunt comes first. We would like to avoid areas like Staten Island or Brooklyn. Queens seems acceptable, as well as the west-side in NJ (Hobokken, or even further west). But we could also imagine to live somewhere on Long Island (closer to the city, which might prevent a short commute, nevertheless) or up north of NYC (Bronx, or even further), Manhatten is interesting as well. Important is a nice and safe area of course.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good newspaper? I suppose New York Times would be a good suggestion. But what else?

Thank you in advance. Stefan
First off, you should rethink and research some areas of Brooklyn. Park Slope, Windsor Terrace, Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn Heights, etc. are where it's at (and much more desirable than Queens/Bronx). Diverse, artsy, great for young singles and family friendly - the next best thing to Manhattan (if you can afford to live here, that is). Bay Ridge and Dyker Heights are also nice areas, but a little further in travel time to NYC.
I have to agree to stay out of Staten Island (unless your favorite TV program is The Jersey Shore).

As far as RN job searches, your wife should search the NYC Hospital websites individually. Most have their own job search sections.
For instance, your wife can apply directly to Brooklyn hospital websites, such as Maimonides Hospital in Boro Park and New York Methodist Hospital in Park Slope (each have a career section where you can directly submit your resume for review). Starting salaries for RN's in Brooklyn are pretty good, approx. 75K per year.
I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but she will definitely have a better chance of finding employment than you will in NYC. There are many in your field that are out of work (and have been for quite a while), and many are even pursuing different career options. Hopefully, you'll have better luck. Wish you the best!

Craigslist also has a good job search section.

Last edited by bklynmomof3; 05-28-2010 at 02:01 PM..

Old 05-28-2010, 05:53 PM

10 posts, read 11,025 times
Thank you for your detailed response. I think you are absolutely right by trying the websites first. I noticed the size of businesses in NY, compared to Fargo humongous. My wife is definetely the one that has a better chance in finding a job. But we are prepared, I am just starting with my career here in the States and I am very open-minded regarding jobs right now. I have to wait another year 1/2 anyway. We don't want to spend the rest of our live in NYC, only for 2-3 years.
You mentioned Brooklyn, my opinion is based on statements I have read so far. It is so hard to determine which area is safe, there is always somebody who says something negative about an area. I just found out, that a friend of mine (from Germany) knows some people in NYC and they would be able to help us with this step, including finding a safe area. We will see, I will "neutralize" my opinion about Brooklyn and keep researching.

p.s. But one question: I have had many people that talked "bad" about brooklyn, "never move to Brooklyn" etc. Not all of them, but there are some. How come this opinion is so wide-spread? Does it has to do with Brooklyn's negative past (which would include the whole city itself), is it pure ignorance or does it actually has "bad" parts?!

Old 05-28-2010, 07:23 PM

467 posts, read 1,655,337 times
To say Brooklyn is all bad or is difficult to find safe areas in, is to say that person doesn't know Brooklyn at all. It definitely has some of the worst parts in the city, like East New York, Brownsville, East Flatbush, Crown Heights, and Bedford Stuyvesant, (but even the latter two have decent streets/blocks) but Brooklyn is a huge area that alone houses something like 6-8 million people, I forget. The good areas are very well known. Like someone else said above, DUMBO, Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, Carroll Gardens, Park Slope, Windsor Terrace, Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, and a few other neighborhoods are all known for being very safe. Nowhere in the city has no crime, including Staten Island (which, statistically, yeah, might be the safest borough, but, eh). Some of the "safest," touristy areas are bad on crime. My friend's 50-something year old roommate got mugged yesterday by a group of thugs, while he was reading the newspaper, sitting on the platform for the R train at Union Square. It was 1pm. There were people all around. Union Square is an extremely populated place that is highly desirable (this is in lower-ish Manhattan) area with really expensive rent. It can happen anywhere. Personally, I love living in Brooklyn and wouldn't ever want to live in any other borough again, even though I lived in Mahattan for 2.5 years and I spent significant time in Queens growing up (but not living there), and of course have been to the other 2 boroughs just fine, but not to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City