Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 10:53 AM

11 posts, read 43,242 times

Advertisements

I'm starting school in September, but I was hoping to land a waitressing job for the summer (and then for the school-year to supplement my loans).

I'm visiting the city in June before I actually move July 1, so I'd ideally like to interview/have a couple potential jobs lined up during my visit so I can start working ASAP after my move.

So, I guess my questions are:

1) How hard is it to get a food serving position, given that I have no NYC experience (I do have about 3 years fine dining)? Are some types of restaurants/neighborhoods better to start with than others?

2) How long is the application process - if I interviewed mid-June, would I be expected to work immediately, or do restaurants usually hire a few weeks in advance?

3) What's the restaurant hiring process generally like there?

4) ....Is the money good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 10:09 PM

169 posts, read 489,902 times
I was a waitress for many years..mostly diners in the boroughs...and coffee shops in Manhattan, though there aren't many coffee shops anymore....If you want a diner job...when they ask you if you have any experience tell them YES....make up some names of diners form where you are from....

Honestly, if you are a somewhat attractive young girl you will have no problems....

NOW...I know working diners isn't so "glamorous"....BUT I made a really good living at it

Old 05-27-2010, 01:16 AM

Thanks for replying! I was beginning to think no one would...

I'd be happy with a diner, if the turnover's high enough to make me some $$. I'll definitely look into it.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:43 PM

You know..if you decide on the diner route...you can say you worked at a diner here....just say you worked at the Neptune in Astoria about 2 years ago for 6 months...lol...they never check

Old 05-27-2010, 08:01 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
From what I've heard from most of my friends that have been waiters here - LIE! Say you have NYC experience. I don't know about trying to get a job in advance, though. Most of my friends all waited until they were in NYC to get a restaurant job. However, I've never worked as a waiter so I can't tell you all the ins and outs. I have catered before but never waited tables.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:50 PM

Yeah..Dewdrop is right....you're better off saying you have NYC experience...just name drop some diners and say you worked them....Neptune in Astoria....Fame Diner on Union Turnpike....Georgia Diner on Queens Boulevard....lol

And I have gotten diner jobs by actually just calling....haha....I would actually go through the yellow pages and call and ask politely if they are looking for waitresses by any chance. Some would say to come in to speak to the manager....and one actually had me come in the next day for a couple of hours. When they asked if I had experience I always said yes...and offered a name or two of some diners I worked.

Oh yeah...Mark Twain in Jackson Heights...lol....good luck!

Old 05-27-2010, 09:27 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Since so many people living in New York are following some sort of creative or artistic dream, you'll find a lot of people waiting tables as their "day" job. Because of this - there is a high turn around for servers. Chances are - you'll be able to find at least a few restaurants or diners that happen to be hiring at any given time. However, I think it is fairly competitive - that's why you need to say you have experience!

Old 05-28-2010, 01:39 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,061,592 times
One of my neighbors has been working as a waiter for Smith and Wollensky in midtown for the past 28 years. He works from 11:30am-11:00-11:30pm, lunch and dinner,monday-friday. He has met several high profile people such as Warren Buffet. Working as a waiter or waitress is a great way to network for your next job,you will meet so many different people from all walks of life. Good luck.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:58 PM

Thanks everyone! Yeah, I've been told by a bunch of people to lie haha. I don't really have a problem with that, except that from my experience you get to know the people you work with in restaurants pretty well pretty fast - I think it will become apparent I just moved here in about... 30 seconds. I do have a lot of waitressing experience, and I think I come off as pretty presentable, so maybe that will do the trick? If all else fails, I'll make up something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City