Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 05:33 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,288,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post

I'm not as familiar with the Queens neighborhoods above as Brooklyn, maybe someone else can give you the low down. I know in Jamaica, you've got to pick your spot carefully.
I know I made an earlier post to the OP a/b black folks in Sunnyside/Woodside, but I guess I can expand it a bit.

Yes in Jamaica there are some rough spots, but I don't think there's any "trendy" spots out in Jamaica...unless you consider Gertz Plaza trendy, lol. But seriously...there's a HUGE West Indian population here in Queens and they are all virtually in the same neighborhoods, but to be specific you have Saint Albans, Cambria Heights, Springfield Gardens (where I live), and Rosedale.

Now the good news is that most of those places are probably the best black neighborhoods you will find in NYC. Many professional households here banking $60-75K a year and up, esp Cambria Heights. Now the bad news (not really bad news, but more of a drawback) is that it's mostly family-oriented and not an ideal place for single professionals. Lots of families with young children so the amenities here will reflect that (ie fast food joints, chain stores, wal-mart, supermarkets, etc). But it's quiet and very safe.

If you want the trendy cafes, lounges, and what not...I can say Forest Hills and Jackson Heights are good bets, but they have very small black populations, maybe 10% at most. Some people have said Astoria, but I haven't been there yet so can't comment. Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 05:48 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
I don't remember ever seeing many black people in Sunnyside or Woodside.Some,yes but not a significant number.Unless things have changed radically in the last year or so.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:00 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I don't remember ever seeing many black people in Sunnyside or Woodside.Some,yes but not a significant number.Unless things have changed radically in the last year or so.
I'm glad you posted bluedog2, because the OP doesn't want to be in an area that is "set aside just for Black people" is the way I think it was phrased. A friend of mine that happens to be White, lives in your area, Pelham Parkway, he said that he would never have thought of living in the Bronx before he moved there. But he confirms what you stated that it is very diverse, the most diverse place he has ever seen, and he feels very safe, and it is affordable, and easy to travel into Manhattan everyday. He is a middle aged professional person, that moved there from Hoboken last year.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:09 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
I know I made an earlier post to the OP a/b black folks in Sunnyside/Woodside, but I guess I can expand it a bit.

Yes in Jamaica there are some rough spots, but I don't think there's any "trendy" spots out in Jamaica...unless you consider Gertz Plaza trendy, lol. But seriously...there's a HUGE West Indian population here in Queens and they are all virtually in the same neighborhoods, but to be specific you have Saint Albans, Cambria Heights, Springfield Gardens (where I live), and Rosedale.

Now the good news is that most of those places are probably the best black neighborhoods you will find in NYC. Many professional households here banking $60-75K a year and up, esp Cambria Heights. Now the bad news (not really bad news, but more of a drawback) is that it's mostly family-oriented and not an ideal place for single professionals. Lots of families with young children so the amenities here will reflect that (ie fast food joints, chain stores, wal-mart, supermarkets, etc). But it's quiet and very safe.

If you want the trendy cafes, lounges, and what not...I can say Forest Hills and Jackson Heights are good bets, but they have very small black populations, maybe 10% at most. Some people have said Astoria, but I haven't been there yet so can't comment. Hope that helps.
Laurelton, Springfield Gardens, St. Albans, Hollis, Cambria Heights and Rosedale are everything you've described but maybe not the best place for a single, independent, professional person. I think the OP would be bored out of her mind there because there's nothing to do. Also, the commute from SE Queens is extremely long if you work in Midtown Manhattan.

The 7 train at Woodside is an express so you can get to Grand Central in 15 minutes. The 7,E,F,R and V (soon to be the M) are at 74th/Bway/Roosevelt Avenue - Jackson Heights, which all put you at Midtown in 20 minutes. Also, if you time it well, take the E to 23rd and Ely and transfer to the G, and be in Clinton Hill/Fort Greene in 30 minutes.

Having grown up in Laurelton and having spent 15 years in Hollis, I left for Western Queens 3 years ago and have never regretted my decision to move here. Yes, the African-American/Caribbean population is small but no one seems to care, which is what I think the OP is most concerned about.

Forest Hills is another option but it's taking you away from the City. To me, it's more commercial than JH, Woodside or Sunnyside, but it's all about one's personal preference.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:12 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
I'm glad you posted bluedog2, because the OP doesn't want to be in an area that is "set aside just for Black people" is the way I think it was phrased. A friend of mine that happens to be White, lives in your area, Pelham Parkway, he said that he would never have thought of living in the Bronx before he moved there. But he confirms what you stated that it is very diverse, the most diverse place he has ever seen, and he feels very safe, and it is affordable, and easy to travel into Manhattan everyday. He is a middle aged professional person, that moved there from Hoboken last year.
Queens has the title of the most diverse borough but The Bronx feels like it has more really diverse neighborhoods, which is a different thing.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:46 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Queens has the title of the most diverse borough but The Bronx feels like it has more really diverse neighborhoods, which is a different thing.
He was referring to your particular neighborhood, which is also his. He is native NYer that moved to Hoboken for a few years.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:49 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Laurelton, Springfield Gardens, St. Albans, Hollis, Cambria Heights and Rosedale are everything you've described but maybe not the best place for a single, independent, professional person. I think the OP would be bored out of her mind there because there's nothing to do. Also, the commute from SE Queens is extremely long if you work in Midtown Manhattan.

The 7 train at Woodside is an express so you can get to Grand Central in 15 minutes. The 7,E,F,R and V (soon to be the M) are at 74th/Bway/Roosevelt Avenue - Jackson Heights, which all put you at Midtown in 20 minutes. Also, if you time it well, take the E to 23rd and Ely and transfer to the G, and be in Clinton Hill/Fort Greene in 30 minutes.

Having grown up in Laurelton and having spent 15 years in Hollis, I left for Western Queens 3 years ago and have never regretted my decision to move here. Yes, the African-American/Caribbean population is small but no one seems to care, which is what I think the OP is most concerned about.

Forest Hills is another option but it's taking you away from the City. To me, it's more commercial than JH, Woodside or Sunnyside, but it's all about one's personal preference.

I'm glad you are posting this, because my perception is mostly from coworkers that live in those areas, I don't know much about them. Thank you for posting first hand information.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:40 PM

966 posts, read 2,444,947 times
Thanks for the discussion everyone. A lot of useful information. For the record though, and at the risk of being repetitive, I am not looking for a predominantly Black neighborhood, or a predominantly Caribbean neighborhood. Diversity, for me, is not a code word for Black. I prefer a mixture of cultures. Looks like a few people read way too much into my desire for a cafe. Oh dear. I am definitely not looking for some trendy or gentrified neighborhood. Where did that come from? Not from me, that's for sure. I am very down-to-earth. Just looking for a neighborhood that is a good fit. Again, I am open to suggestions. The Bronx is still on my radar screen, but I am leaning more towards Queens.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:34 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala8 View Post
Diversity, for me, is not a code word for Black. I prefer a mixture of cultures.
I thought diversity was just, that a mixture of all cultures, I had no idea that it is used as a code word for Black.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:54 PM

966 posts, read 2,444,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
I thought diversity was just, that a mixture of all cultures, I had no idea that it is used as a code word for Black.
I know, right? That's what I once thought, too, DAS. You live and you learn. That's why I try to be as clear as possible. I think sometimes people read only part of the original post, get hung up on one or two catch words, and then take off on another tangent associated with the one word. It's fine. I learn a lot from the tangents.

For instance, I have seen the word artist get taken out of context, leading to the conclusion that I am looking for Williamsburg. No, no, no. As Jerry Seinfeld would have said, "Not that there is anything wrong with that." lol. Just not what I'm looking for.

I might also need to clarify what I mean by the word significant. I don't mean predominantly. To put a number or percentage on it, I am thinking a minimum of ten percent. Significant meaning enough to the point where any one of us wouldn't feel out of place.

Last edited by Nala8; 06-01-2010 at 09:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City