U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 02:30 PM

9,341 posts, read 24,700,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Thank you for posting the link to the Jewish Week article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 05:25 PM

960 posts, read 1,961,414 times
The truth is New York City still struggles with a long history of racial issues. And when it comes to housing, as great as this city is, race defines most of our neighborhoods. As a lifelong New Yorker, I have found that we are actually behind the curve on this issue to a greater degree than other large cities. I lived briefly in two southwestern cities, Albuquerque and Phoenix. In both of those cities race has less to do with how neighborhoods are populated, it is much more an issue of class and income. If you have the money you can live where you choose. That is still not quite true here. New York neighborhoods are still, to a large degree, distinctly separated by race.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:06 PM

14,846 posts, read 17,430,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post
The truth is New York City still struggles with a long history of racial issues. And when it comes to housing, as great as this city is, race defines most of our neighborhoods. As a lifelong New Yorker, I have found that we are actually behind the curve on this issue to a greater degree than other large cities. I lived briefly in two southwestern cities, Albuquerque and Phoenix. In both of those cities race has less to do with how neighborhoods are populated, it is much more an issue of class and income. If you have the money you can live where you choose. That is still not quite true here. New York neighborhoods are still, to a large degree, distinctly separated by race.
It is its called Red Lining, which is notoriously done in Brooklyn and in Queens. Yes NYC is a melting pot but certain ethnic group stick with thier clicks.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:09 PM

965 posts, read 2,107,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
It is its called Red Lining, which is notoriously done in Brooklyn and in Queens. Yes NYC is a melting pot but certain ethnic group stick with thier clicks.

very true, this attributed alot to the segregation, also some immigrant groups liked to live near each other for a sense of community and networking, especially in a dense city like New York. In spite of these issues I still feel the diversity here.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:22 PM

9,341 posts, read 24,700,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Redlining, the practice by lending institutions to put a red line around areas where they wouldn't loan out mortgage funds was permitted by Urban Renewal as passed by the Democrat Congress and signed into law by a Democrat president in the late 1940s. Prior to that law, Brooklyn was well integrated, with one or two African-American families on many blocks; and, a few years later, as a result of this permitted practice, African-Americans became concentrated in certain neighborhoods as white flight from these previously integrated neighborhoods occurred.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:49 PM

127 posts, read 449,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
At the risk of opening up a humungous can of worms, Jews are both a people and a religion.

Within the Jewish people, there are many different ethnic groups, such as Ashkenazi, Sephardic, Mizrachi, Ethiopian, B'nai Israel, etc., etc., etc.

Within the Jewish religion, there are those who were born of a Jewish mother and others who converted, and those who have left the faith, but still remain a Jew (the preceding Cardinal Archbishop of Paris (Lustiger ???), according to his own words, was a Catholic Jew or is that a Jewish Catholic, I forget).
alright we get it!

Old 06-21-2010, 05:53 PM

127 posts, read 449,089 times
the only blacks in astoria live in the housing projects.
when my family moved to astoria everyone was kind of racist and there wasnt much besides latino/hispanic or greek people.
then everyone got to know us and it was fine.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:38 PM

142 posts, read 360,903 times
I'm black and live in Astoria...I see few black folk in the area. Maybe I should venture out toward the projects...hubby needs a haircut and he isn't that great cutting his own hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by cainanomar View Post
the only blacks in astoria live in the housing projects.
when my family moved to astoria everyone was kind of racist and there wasnt much besides latino/hispanic or greek people.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:58 PM

4,480 posts, read 8,323,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cainanomar View Post

Weird. The only people I know in Astoria are white.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:55 PM

214 posts, read 529,125 times
Not to take this thread off topic but noladarling I thought I would have to go around the pj's to find a barber when I moved to Astoria a few monthes ago. But surprisingly, there are quite a few Dominican barbershops around 30th Ave & Steinway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or