U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 11:20 AM

21,199 posts, read 20,129,254 times

Advertisements

After reading some of the posts lately - I found myself wondering about some things. A lot of the people who are thinking about moving here mention their ethnicity and want to move to an area where it won't prove problematic. I think that this is a totally valid concern. However, as a person who has been living here for 12 years - I have never lived or worked in an area where this was an issue. I'm mixed - half Asian, half Jewish. I'm not saying that I've never witnessed or been subjected to any sort of prejudice in my life - but in NYC, it just never seems to be an issue. I don't really pay attention to what color or creed people are - and it doesn't seem that most other people do either. When people ask questions about areas where they will safe being non-white - I always tell them that it's not an issue at all in the majority of NYC. Am I wrong? I know that in other cities - race or creed can be a huge issue - but I never thought that it was here. I'm just curious as to what everyone else's experiences have been here. I've lived in Astoria and the Upper East Side - and they were very diverse, very safe areas. Am I just ignorant of what really goes in NYC? I'm interested to hear your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 12:09 PM

966 posts, read 2,041,654 times
I lived in NYC (inc. the outer boroughs) for about thirteen years. Certain parts of Brooklyn can be a bit of a problem for Black people. Bensonhurst comes to mine. Certain areas of Manhattan can be a bit snobby--i.e. the upper east side and Chelsea. Not sure that these Manhattan areas are as concerned about race as they are about perceived class. I agree with you about NYC overall, but it does not pay to be incognizant or unaware, imo, when searching for an apartment.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:52 PM

Please don't misunderstand - I'm not saying people shouldn't ask these questions when looking for an apartment. It's just that my response to these questions is that NYC is a huge city - and it is for the most part, a melting pot. I usually tell people - that for the areas that I've lived in or spent time in - race is a non-issue. I just want to make sure that I am not giving out false information!

Old 05-30-2010, 01:56 PM

966 posts, read 2,041,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Please don't misunderstand - I'm not saying people shouldn't ask these questions when looking for an apartment. It's just that my response to these questions is that NYC is a huge city - and it is for the most part, a melting pot. I usually tell people - that for the areas that I've lived in or spent time in - race is a non-issue. I just want to make sure that I am not giving out false information!
I understand where you are coming from. Since race has been a non-issue for you, in your experience, you have a positive outlook. This is fine. But to say that race is a non-issue for everyone is at best wishful thinking. Have a look at craigslist's rants and raves section (http://newyork.craigslist.org/rnr/). This will be an eye-opener for you, I think. Veritably reeks of racism. The worst of the worst usually; today is a good day. While NYC is by far one of the best cities I have lived in as far as race relations, I would never say that race is not an issue.

You might also want to talk to people you know or meet. Listen to their stories.

Last edited by Nala8; 05-30-2010 at 02:04 PM..

Old 05-30-2010, 08:05 PM

9,341 posts, read 24,700,264 times
Quote:
I'm mixed - half Asian, half Jewish.

Jews are West Asians and, I assume that by Asian, you mean East Asian, meaning that you are 100% Asian.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:20 PM

10,622 posts, read 20,755,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Jews are West Asians and, I assume that by Asian, you mean East Asian, meaning that you are 100% Asian.
How is this helpful? Don't you have anything better to do?

Old 05-30-2010, 09:57 PM

Jews can be from anywhere. I simply say I'm half Jewish because it's easier than saying German, Russian, Bohemian, and Dutch. I only stated my ethnicity to say that I'm not 100% white.
Still, that doesn't really have much to do with my question...

Old 05-31-2010, 07:31 AM

Yes, while Jews can be from anywhere, Jews remain, and for the most part are, Semites, a West Asian people (West Asia is mostly populated by Caucasoids versus East Asia, which is mostly populated by Mongoloids).

I'm assuming that your mother was not Jewish, otherwise, according to Jewish custom and practice, you, too, would be Jewish.

For those who may not be aware, from a Jewish perspective, someone is either Jewish or is not Jewish, there is no half-Jewish concept in Judaism. Christians hold a different perspective and will view someone as half or, otherwise, partly Jewish.

Turning to your question, yes, there are areas in New York City that tend to be more homogenous than other areas and these neighborhoods are less welcoming, and to some degree less tolerant, to peoples who look different from the majority of people in that neighborhood. The southern part of Bensonhurst and the adjoining Dyker Heights in the southwestern part of Brooklyn come to mind.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:54 AM

I guess I was more interested in areas like Astoria, Park Slope, Upper East Side, Upper West Side, the village, etc. Not because I don't want to know what goes on in other areas - I simply haven't ever been to Bensonhurts or Dyker Heights - so I would never comment on them. I guess I'm talking more about mainstream areas in Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, - areas that I'm familiar with, that I've lived in. In these areas, it doesn't seem like there are race relation problems. I have friends of all races in these areas - and we've never talked about race issues. When people ask for advice on these areas - I always tell them that they are safe and are filled with all different races. Do other people have a different opinion? And I'm not talking about snobbiness - that is a different issue that changes from block to block.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I guess I was more interested in areas like Astoria, Park Slope, Upper East Side, Upper West Side, the village, etc.

The neighborhoods in your list are, generally speaking, heterogeneous and thus much less likely to be unwelcoming and intolerant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or