Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 05:36 AM

118 posts, read 443,642 times

Advertisements

I am just wondering for those out there that have moved to NYC from other places if it has made them more liberal or more conservative. I used to be pretty liberal but am not sure if I should be anymore. Why, when I work my butt off to pay 20x what my neighbor does (due to section 8) while they get to stay home, pop out kid after kid and smoke weed? It's sort of nauseating. I'd really love to hear what you have to say on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 07:04 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
I don't think it has changed my persuasions much at all.I grew up in a pretty left environment and am still there on most issues.
Try not not to be so envious of your neighbor who "gets to stay home and pop out kid after kid and smoke weed." It sounds like a really pathetic, miserable life to me.You will probably move on with your life and out of the ghetto,she probably never will.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:21 AM

966 posts, read 2,445,737 times
I still consider myself to be very progressive and at the same time very "live and let live," even though I do not like the fact that there are people out there milking the welfare system. We also have right-wing or conservative businessmen, bureaucrats, or politicians essentially doing the same thing in corporations and in government. This goes on everywhere, and in every sector, although the welfare mothers may seem to be more prevalent, extreme, or in your face in NYC. I'm with bluedog2 on this one: Try not to be so concerned with what your neighbor seems to be getting away with by staying home, popping out kid after kid, etc. Live your own life with integrity. I try to be a part of the solution by working with adult students who are in the process of changing their lives.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:42 AM

486 posts, read 1,035,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemNewbie View Post
Why, when I work my butt off to pay 20x what my neighbor does (due to section 8) while they get to stay home, pop out kid after kid and smoke weed? It's sort of nauseating. I'd really love to hear what you have to say on this one.
Why on Earth would you envy that lifestyle?

Old 05-22-2010, 08:44 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
Why on Earth would you envy that lifestyle?
I didn't hear any envy in that post, unless you think being nauseated = being envious

Old 05-22-2010, 08:56 AM

486 posts, read 1,035,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I didn't hear any envy in that post, unless you think being nauseated = being envious
In the English language, "get to" generally implies some sort of special privilege. As in "Mom, why does Tommy get to go outside and play and I don't?" The kid who speaks that line sounds envious to me.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:22 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
In the English language, "get to" generally implies some sort of special privilege. As in "Mom, why does Tommy get to go outside and play and I don't?" The kid who speaks that line sounds envious to me.
Try reading the entire passage before you jump to your conclusion. Surely, "nauseated" should indicate that when OP used "get to" that he/she most likely meant something like "get to" receive freebies from the government that are paid by hard-working taxpayers.

No envy in that, just disgust and anger.

I hate it when people pull things out of context or knowingly ignore 50% of what someone said, just so they can make the point they want to make.

But I guess we can agree to disagree.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:39 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,231 times
Ha! Definitely more conservative.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:48 AM

82 posts, read 315,664 times
Are you kidding. How can living in the people's republic on NY make anybody more conservative? In fact all big cities, due to intrinsic problems with high population density, low living standards, etc. lean heavily to the liberal side. Of course, with age comes wisdom, so older people tend to be more conservative, but on average all big cities are significantly more liberal than surrounding suburbs.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:57 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
I've pretty much stayed the same - I've always been pretty liberal. My husband used to be much more conservative and has become more liberal since moving to New York.
Something that I try to do it life ("try" being the key word - I know it's hard) - is to not look beside me - only look in front of me. Try not to worry about what path someone else is on - whether they are ahead of you or behind you - just worry about your own path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City