U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-30-2010, 04:51 PM
 
216 posts, read 369,634 times
Reputation: 177
Default A few touristy questions.....please help

Going to NYC later this week. Have been doing research, but I know there's nothing like getting tips from locals.

I also know, that everyone has their own opinions, but I want to hear them.

1) NYC pizza - I'm from Chicago and have to try yours. Want good, authentic stuff. Ideally a place that sells by the slice. I don't need ambiance. Will eat at a counter if the pizza is stellar. Suggestions?

2) Hot dogs - same question

3) Central Park - looks massive. Are there certain areas of the park that are "must sees"?

4) Outdoor dining/cafes - is there a good selection in Manhattan? Can you smoke cigs, cigars outside at eateries?

5) Deli - a local recommended the Carnegie Deli. We're going for pastrami sandwiches. Do you concur that this is a good place?

6) Subway system - do trains come pretty often - every 10 minutes or so? Is service as good on weekends as it is during the week? 24/7?

7) Merchandise street vendors - any tips on good ones - stuff I can buy that won't fall apart in a month? Particularly interested in hand bags and clothing items.

8) any bars, restaurants, clubs that you recommend that are more "local" versus touristy? - again, we're willing to travel. An hour on the subway is not a big deal. I'm used to commuting nearly an hour to work now.

9) How crowded is MOMA on the Target Free Fridays? The free hours start at 4. Should we get in line much before then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-30-2010, 06:37 PM
 
3,423 posts, read 2,815,620 times
Reputation: 2543
I'll answer some of your questions. You should not have a problem getting into MOMA. It might be a little more crowded when admission is free, but you will get in.

Locals know to stay away from the Carnegie Deli. Only tourists go there and the food is lousy and it is very overpriced. Second Ave. Deli which is no longer on 2nd Ave. is more authentic and has better food. The new version of Katz's Deli is better than Carnegie's too.

Central Park-it's all good and full of must-sees. It depends what you like. If you've got kids with you, the historical carousel and the zoo is great. The Alice in Wonderland statues, the resevoir, the boat basin, rowboating and bike rentals at 72nd street, lots of historic structures. Belvedere Castle/Vista Rock, watching the guys play chess, all Central Park icons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2010, 07:27 PM
 
216 posts, read 369,634 times
Reputation: 177
Thanks for the info. I read some reviews about Katz' deli vs. Carnegie and it sounds like you're spot on. Carnegie caters mainly to tourists who don't know any better when it comes to deli.

I have had some good deli in Chicago and Miami Beach, but I know that NYC is probably the best place for deli.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2010, 10:11 PM
 
39 posts, read 85,497 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosez View Post
Going to NYC later this week. Have been doing research, but I know there's nothing like getting tips from locals.

I also know, that everyone has their own opinions, but I want to hear them.

1) NYC pizza - I'm from Chicago and have to try yours. Want good, authentic stuff. Ideally a place that sells by the slice. I don't need ambiance. Will eat at a counter if the pizza is stellar. Suggestions?

2) Hot dogs - same question

3) Central Park - looks massive. Are there certain areas of the park that are "must sees"?

4) Outdoor dining/cafes - is there a good selection in Manhattan? Can you smoke cigs, cigars outside at eateries?

5) Deli - a local recommended the Carnegie Deli. We're going for pastrami sandwiches. Do you concur that this is a good place?

6) Subway system - do trains come pretty often - every 10 minutes or so? Is service as good on weekends as it is during the week? 24/7?

7) Merchandise street vendors - any tips on good ones - stuff I can buy that won't fall apart in a month? Particularly interested in hand bags and clothing items.

8) any bars, restaurants, clubs that you recommend that are more "local" versus touristy? - again, we're willing to travel. An hour on the subway is not a big deal. I'm used to commuting nearly an hour to work now.

9) How crowded is MOMA on the Target Free Fridays? The free hours start at 4. Should we get in line much before then?

The best pizza comes from Brooklyn, not Manhattan! One of the many great pizzerias in Bklyn. is Grimaldi's in Dumbo. Why not eliminate some of the subway traveling and take a water taxi from Manhattan to Brooklyn.
Check out viator.com and search for New York Harbor Hop. There's a hop on/hop off (2 day pass) that stops at many interesting points in Manhattan and Brooklyn (including Fulton Ferry Landing which is DUMBO).

You also may want to visit the famous & original Nathan's for the best hot dog in NYC. This is also in Brooklyn (Coney Island) - you're just in time to visit the newly renovated "Lunar Park" in Coney Island which just opened this weekend. You can also walk a few blocks along the boardwalk and visit the New York Aquarium.

When you make your visit to NYC, you absolutely must pay a visit to the best of the 5 boroughs Have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2010, 10:34 PM
 
901 posts, read 2,029,982 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosez View Post
Thanks for the info. I read some reviews about Katz' deli vs. Carnegie and it sounds like you're spot on. Carnegie caters mainly to tourists who don't know any better when it comes to deli.

I have had some good deli in Chicago and Miami Beach, but I know that NYC is probably the best place for deli.
I went to Katz' once but walked out without even ordering. The experience wasn't what I hoped it would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 12:46 AM
 
216 posts, read 369,634 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynmomof3 View Post
The best pizza comes from Brooklyn, not Manhattan! One of the many great pizzerias in Bklyn. is Grimaldi's in Dumbo. Why not eliminate some of the subway traveling and take a water taxi from Manhattan to Brooklyn.
Check out viator.com and search for New York Harbor Hop. There's a hop on/hop off (2 day pass) that stops at many interesting points in Manhattan and Brooklyn (including Fulton Ferry Landing which is DUMBO).

You also may want to visit the famous & original Nathan's for the best hot dog in NYC. This is also in Brooklyn (Coney Island) - you're just in time to visit the newly renovated "Lunar Park" in Coney Island which just opened this weekend. You can also walk a few blocks along the boardwalk and visit the New York Aquarium.

When you make your visit to NYC, you absolutely must pay a visit to the best of the 5 boroughs Have fun!
You sold me! We'll venture into Brooklyn. Thanks for the suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 11:03 AM
 
39 posts, read 85,497 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosez View Post
You sold me! We'll venture into Brooklyn. Thanks for the suggestions!

You won't be disappointed! Also forgot to mention that if you're interested in baseball, you should check out The Brooklyn Cyclones minor league stadium on the Coney Island Boardwalk. Tickets for these games are so much cheaper than major league tickets, and to be able to watch a game while looking out over the ocean is a thrill in itself.
Also just realized that you also started the thread looking for an authentic Irish pub-which I responded to as well - we must have a lot in common! Well, there's also an Irish pub connected to the Cyclones stadium which many of the Brooklyn locals frequent (haven't been there myself, but heard it's a good time).
Have been to Rocky Sullivan's in Red Hook many times, though. You should definitely try to pay a visit there (many notable and famous Irish musicians and artists/writers frequent the pub - for instance, Frank McCourt- rest his soul - would pop in on many poetry reading nights when they were located in Manhattan).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 11:19 AM
 
15,242 posts, read 12,398,518 times
Reputation: 5778
You asked about the subway system. I suggest that you go to the MTA website for service information about various trains' schedules: mta.info | Home Page .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, New York
3,203 posts, read 3,190,595 times
Reputation: 2786
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynmomof3 View Post
You won't be disappointed! Also forgot to mention that if you're interested in baseball, you should check out The Brooklyn Cyclones minor league stadium on the Coney Island Boardwalk. Tickets for these games are so much cheaper than major league tickets, and to be able to watch a game while looking out over the ocean is a thrill in itself.
Also just realized that you also started the thread looking for an authentic Irish pub-which I responded to as well - we must have a lot in common! Well, there's also an Irish pub connected to the Cyclones stadium which many of the Brooklyn locals frequent (haven't been there myself, but heard it's a good time).
Have been to Rocky Sullivan's in Red Hook many times, though. You should definitely try to pay a visit there (many notable and famous Irish musicians and artists/writers frequent the pub - for instance, Frank McCourt- rest his soul - would pop in on many poetry reading nights when they were located in Manhattan).
Nah! Come see the Staten Island Yankees! It's right next to the Staten Island Ferry Terminal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, New York
3,203 posts, read 3,190,595 times
Reputation: 2786
Never buy things on the street - they are all fake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:57 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top