U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2010, 06:20 PM

413 posts, read 1,558,144 times

Advertisements

Yeah, another one of these threads - sorry.

Okay, I graduated from college (UW-Madison) two years ago with a degree in History. I then moved out to Denver where I worked in security. not because I couldn't find a job that utilized the fact that I had a degree, but more just because I had lead a very sheltered existence in a lot of ways and this newfound sense of freedom and whatnot needed to be enjoyed.

Anyway, my bro in law is taking a position at NYU and will be moving out to NYC in August. I tentatively plan on quitting my job here in Denver and moving out there with him. We are hoping we can find a place in Manhattan.

In any case, what should I look out for? What things do I have to worry about? Ideally, I would like to get a job in the 30-40k range, something which I suppose is probably impossible??? I guess I don't have any specific questions, but I'm really just wondering what beliefs to shed, what to be careful about, and what I probably can and cannot do. I'd probably be bringing about 5-7k in savings with me.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 10:54 PM

39 posts, read 123,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
Yeah, another one of these threads - sorry.

Okay, I graduated from college (UW-Madison) two years ago with a degree in History. I then moved out to Denver where I worked in security. not because I couldn't find a job that utilized the fact that I had a degree, but more just because I had lead a very sheltered existence in a lot of ways and this newfound sense of freedom and whatnot needed to be enjoyed.

Anyway, my bro in law is taking a position at NYU and will be moving out to NYC in August. I tentatively plan on quitting my job here in Denver and moving out there with him. We are hoping we can find a place in Manhattan.

In any case, what should I look out for? What things do I have to worry about? Ideally, I would like to get a job in the 30-40k range, something which I suppose is probably impossible??? I guess I don't have any specific questions, but I'm really just wondering what beliefs to shed, what to be careful about, and what I probably can and cannot do. I'd probably be bringing about 5-7k in savings with me.

Thanks
Not sure how much work is available for a college graduate with a major in History, especially now with the economy so weak. Since you already have a security background, you will have better luck landing a job as a NYC Security Guard. Employment openings are pretty decent in this field, and with your experience you may be qualified to work as a Security Supervisor which will probably give you an annual earnings of $30-40K. You're better to seek out the top security companies in the metropolitan area (many of them are now unionized) - and if you want to get a head start, you can submit your resumes to them before hanging your hat in NYC. There's nothing better than having a job lined up before your settle into your new home.
Check out: alliedbarton.com
wackenhut.com
securitas.com
These are the top three security companies which will probably afford you much better working conditions and higher salaries than the smaller companies. If you've enjoyed this line of work in the past, you can always work on getting your Fire Safety Director license (my neighbor's son is a FSD and he started out at $16 per hour). If you're not interested in continuing with this line of work, you can just use it as a stepping stone - with money to tide you over - until that dream job comes along!

What to look out for? Not sure what you mean by this.
What things to worry about? Yourself - use common sense and caution when living in NYC (or anywhere else for that matter)!

Best of luck to you!

Old 07-08-2010, 12:35 PM

13,295 posts, read 12,347,707 times
I'll piggy back this thread a little bit

I recently moved to NY and I've only been able to find a part-time job in my field (working with adults with developmental disabilities or brain injuries). I've been trying to find some part time jobs to supplement my income (I don't want to leave the field completely) and have noticed about 500 postings a day on CL for security guards.

My question is why are there so many posts for security guards? There are so many that it just seems unnatural. Is there really that much need for security guards or do a lot of these posts fall under Craigslist Scam?

Old 07-09-2010, 11:30 AM

8,218 posts, read 8,504,500 times
I think one reason that you had so fwe responses is that your post was very vague. There are constantly people asking the same questions of what to look out for, so start with a search here.

I'm not sure why you think a $30,000 job is impossible. There are certainly security jobs galore. But a history degree is a perfectly fine general degree that should get you in the door with all kinds of decent entry-level jobs. Why not start with places like the History Channel ,or Oxford University Press, or a museum? Unfortunately, August is a bad time, because all the new graduates will have flooded the market in June. But meanwhile, maybe your brother can also check jobs at NYU for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or