Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 07:22 AM

771 posts, read 1,452,690 times

Advertisements

Yesterday afternoon I was driving home to Virginia from Maine through I-95. I arrived in NYC at around 3 pm and I thought "cool, right before rush hour". Wrong! I sat in traffic for 5 hours before I could cross the GWM bridge. That was the worst traffic I've ever had to sit through in my entire life. 10 miles in 5 hours of bumber to bumper traffic. I finally crossed the bridge at 8 pm.

Is it usually like that? A lot of people had warned me to avoid that bridge and drive through Pennsylvania instead, but I was very naive and thought 3 pm was early enough. I expected traffic, but 1-1.5 hours tops, 5 hours sitting in traffic is crazy!!

Overall it took me 13 hours to drive from Boston to Northern Virginia (with a lunch break at 11 pm ). That, plus the 5 hours it took to go from Bar Harbor to Boston. It was intense!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 08:04 AM

939 posts, read 2,302,893 times
via twitter:

NotifyNYC

Motor vehicle accident on the NJ bound lower level of the GW Bridge. Expect lower level closures and delays

about 20 hours ago via web

btw... your M and B keys are mixed up on your keyboard, may want to fix that

Old 06-02-2010, 09:35 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,746,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky View Post
Yesterday afternoon I was driving home to Virginia from Maine through I-95. I arrived in NYC at around 3 pm and I thought "cool, right before rush hour". Wrong! I sat in traffic for 5 hours before I could cross the GWM bridge. That was the worst traffic I've ever had to sit through in my entire life. 10 miles in 5 hours of bumber to bumper traffic. I finally crossed the bridge at 8 pm.

Is it usually like that? A lot of people had warned me to avoid that bridge and drive through Pennsylvania instead, but I was very naive and thought 3 pm was early enough. I expected traffic, but 1-1.5 hours tops, 5 hours sitting in traffic is crazy!!

Overall it took me 13 hours to drive from Boston to Northern Virginia (with a lunch break at 11 pm ). That, plus the 5 hours it took to go from Bar Harbor to Boston. It was intense!!!
Next time just take Amtrak Regional form DC Union to South Station , cheap , clean , fun , food , bathrooms on broad , tables form ur electronics , outlets etc......When you live in the Bos-Wash Corridor commuting or Traveling form one end to the other is always going to be tough. Northern New Jersey to New Haven is probably one of the worst sections of I-95. There are alts like I-287 or I-84 but they can be just as bad sometimes. Amtrak Regional form DC to Boston takes 7-8hrs.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:04 AM

9,238 posts, read 23,968,200 times
Quote:

Is it usually like that? ..................
It's only like that when there is an accident, which doesn't happen more than 2 or 3 times a day.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:00 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,468,621 times
Welcome to the George Washington Bridge! Go a few miles east and you can find traffic that makes the GWB look like a day in the park. They don't call the Long Island Expressway "the world's longest parking lot" for nothing.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:09 PM

747 posts, read 2,744,381 times
Quote:
Why do you call it 'GWM Bridge'? Call it the GW Bridge or GWB

Old 06-02-2010, 02:37 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,276,081 times
5 hours just to cross the GWB!!! That must have been a pretty nasty accident. Sorry you had to sit through that mess I know it had to suck. I-95 up to Richmond, VA is pretty crappy. I would take Amtrak like another poster said next time your heading up north.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:45 PM

155 posts, read 583,830 times
I thought the OP was referring to the Gay White Male bridge :-)

Old 06-02-2010, 02:45 PM

939 posts, read 2,302,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
Sorry you had to sit through that mess I
you don't have to apologize ya know... you're not really the mayor...

Old 06-02-2010, 03:06 PM

771 posts, read 1,452,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post
Why do you call it 'GWM Bridge'? Call it the GW Bridge or GWB
Oops! I don't know why I was under the impression it was called the George Washington Memorial Bridge. Stupid mistake seeing how I had 5 hours to learn the proper name.

Amtrak wasn't an option because I was driving back from Maine, so I really didn't have many choices other than flying which would have been prohibitively expensive. However, I did have the choice to go through Pennsylvania (as some other city data memebers suggested), but I was stupid/naive and I thought "oh how bad can it be?". Well, there ya go, NYC 1 - me 0

I also had a truck driver get off his truck and knock on my window to shout at me for doing an (admittedly questionable) lane merge. I had no choice but to hang my head in shame and apologize. In my defense I was in NYC traffic shock and panicking because no one would let me merge. Overall it was one good dose of NYC reality for me and it really made me appreciate the beauty and peace of Maine (I'm not really a big city guy), and also appreciate how tough things can be for those that make a living driving through this mess everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City