U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 11:37 AM

2,899 posts, read 8,303,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicYouth View Post
Seriously, I don't care if it's a holiday. The MTA should NOT be running trains and buses on a Sunday schedule, or they should at least figure out the heaviest Memorial Day destinations and plan accordingly. Getting in and out of the Rockaways today was an absolute nightmare. The beach was pleasant but the travel ruined it. There was a massive line outside the Beach 116 shuttle train stop, and a line for buses around the block. Cops everywhere, and people were getting salty. Then we spent OVER AN HOUR getting from Beach 116 to Broad Channel. The train stopped 3-4 times for literally 20 minutes at a time with NO announcement. Then of course there was a massive crush to get on one of the few A trains at Broad Channel.

I'm probably overstating my disgust a bit just because it's so fresh and I need to vent, but seriously? That was an epic display of incompetence, and it's not like it was a surprise that lots of people would descend on the Rockaways on Memorial Day. I've only had minor quibbles with the MTA before, but there was really no excuse for how poorly managed everything was.
You think the MTA is ahhh, managing service in regard to some holiday????

Maaaawhhhhhaaaa!

Dude, you're not in Kansas anymore, you're in NEW YORK! If you're going to rely on the subway then get used to it. What you experienced is TYPICAL holiday, weekend, and/or late night service in the outer boroughs! Wait til they start eliminating whole train lines.

Get ready for more, as the city runs out of money, the recession continues, and reverts back to the 1970s. I find it amusing to observe as those of you who moved here during the time of good and plenty walk around blindly with no clue for what's ahead. You all will soon find out what being a NYer is truly all about.

Man, the MTA doesn't give a hoot about service to the Rockaways, it's the A train! You know, Duke Ellington, "Take the A Train", yeah take it through the vast traverses of the worst neighborhoods in the city, the Rockaways, East New York, Brownsville, Bed-Stuy, and Harlem!

Be happy, cause, before gentrification, it used to be ghetto all through Brooklyn and into Queens.

JFYI, could have taken the bus, Q35 right at 116th, across the Gill Hodges Bridge, down Flatbush Avenue to the Junction at Nostrand Avenue, then switched to the IRT.

Not sure where you're coming from, but that'd be a preferred route. Better yet, next time Zip car!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 03:38 PM

154 posts, read 369,675 times
jcoltrane, the problem was that the line for the Q35 bus was around the block. We took it on the way over and it was good, though.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:27 PM

7,549 posts, read 7,974,415 times
It's been like that going to Rockaway on the shuttle/A/C train for 50 years. Try taking that train everyday and its worse in winter. On a hot Sunday/Holiday, that's how it is on 116th Street, long lines for the bus, cops all over. Foolish people go during the beginning of the summer season. By the beginning of August, the crowds thin out. It's also easier and slightly ess crowded if you go on a Saturday than a Sunday. If the weather is good during July 4th weekend, expect a repeat performance.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:42 PM

965 posts, read 2,105,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicYouth View Post
Seriously, I don't care if it's a holiday. The MTA should NOT be running trains and buses on a Sunday schedule, or they should at least figure out the heaviest Memorial Day destinations and plan accordingly. Getting in and out of the Rockaways today was an absolute nightmare. The beach was pleasant but the travel ruined it. There was a massive line outside the Beach 116 shuttle train stop, and a line for buses around the block. Cops everywhere, and people were getting salty. Then we spent OVER AN HOUR getting from Beach 116 to Broad Channel. The train stopped 3-4 times for literally 20 minutes at a time with NO announcement. Then of course there was a massive crush to get on one of the few A trains at Broad Channel.

I'm probably overstating my disgust a bit just because it's so fresh and I need to vent, but seriously? That was an epic display of incompetence, and it's not like it was a surprise that lots of people would descend on the Rockaways on Memorial Day. I've only had minor quibbles with the MTA before, but there was really no excuse for how poorly managed everything was.
LOL, my man, try taking the A train to the Rockaways everyday! Its always a mess. But I do agree with you it was quite ridiculous on Memorial Day.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:23 AM

2 posts, read 2,082 times
From the great nation, MTA turning us into pack of animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City