Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2010, 12:25 PM

61 posts, read 376,937 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Just like to inquire if anyone knows the area on 30th Avenue, near 12th & 14th Streets.

Is this area nice and safe? Any grocery stores nearby (ie: Shop Rite, Pathmark) ?

Any info. given is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 12:30 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,640 times
There's two grocery stores right under the train station. The houses are nice on that block, but it's a bit of a walk from the train station.. I believe the Q18 goes right nearby, unless you don't mind the walk. There's a lot of stuff to do in the area, but you have to go the opposite way past the train station, as it's mostly apartment buildings and houses down where you are.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:22 PM

Default 30th Avenue (N / W Subway Lines), Astoria, NY

Hello analyticalkeys,

Thanks for responding - greatly appreciate it. Overall, would you say this area is safe, especially coming home late evenings? In particular, 30th Avenue by 12th & 14th Streets - how is that area?

Old 05-31-2010, 08:39 PM

144 posts, read 324,497 times
Pay yourself a visit on a week day - You will find it amazingly safe at any time of the night. The N is incredibly clean and the quality of people on the train is good. Nearly all business people going to/from work in Manhattan. Theres literally everything and anything you could ever want within walking distance. Broadway, Steinway, 30th Ave, Astoria BLD, Ditmars as all walking distance from each other and great. I;m still amazed by all the people out at all times of the night.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:25 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somesnapper View Post
Pay yourself a visit on a week day - You will find it amazingly safe at any time of the night. The N is incredibly clean and the quality of people on the train is good. Nearly all business people going to/from work in Manhattan. Theres literally everything and anything you could ever want within walking distance. Broadway, Steinway, 30th Ave, Astoria BLD, Ditmars as all walking distance from each other and great. I;m still amazed by all the people out at all times of the night.
That's a nice summation in general, but little help regarding the SPECIFIC spot she named!!!

@the OP,

I know the area, and greatly suspect the building you're considering.

That spot (and building) is a bit isolated (which is why they're having trouble renting it out); close to Public Housing (though any relative danger is more perception than reality); very close to a grade school.

There is little in the way of services in the immediate surrounding area. The spot is below 21st street, which is generally considered the boundary of easy walking distance to the subway (though there are those who walk it all the time, particularly residents of the housing project). There is a bus along 30th Avenue, but to my observation most folk walk rather than wait on the bus.

Everyone in the general area (including those all the way down in the housing project) do their shopping on 30th Avenue above and below the 30th Avenue subway. There you'll find two supermarkets (by NYC standards), Trade Fair and Key Food, as well as Rite Aid (drug store), all other service shops and restaurants.

Alternatively, there is a shopping plaza at 21st street and Broadway, where you'll find a supermarket, Associated, Post Office, Chase Bank, fast food, and a 24/7 dinner.

I suggest you do a little street view googling, and visit the area at night with a friend. Dark and very quiet!

Though the spot is a bit isolated, there are a few local benefits. If you like green spaces, the location, once you learn the way, is in short walking distance of a Costco (you can grocery shop there), three parks, Astoria (also near the water), Rainey, and Socrates Sculpture Garden (lots of summertime activity), a library, a pub, an Italian restaurant, and a local club:

Hell Gate Social

Luck!

Old 06-01-2010, 12:10 PM

Smile 30th Avenue (N / W Subway Lines)

Hello,

Somesnapper, thank you for your response - greatly appreciated.

Also thanking Jcoltrane - thank you for all the info. you've provided about that specific area (and building). I will give it a try.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:56 PM

749 posts, read 2,455,036 times
Yeah, I agree with this analysis. Anything below 21st Street is a bit more isolated and in my opinion the blocks and buildings aren't as nice as above 21st Street. In the day I doubt you would have any issues, but in the dead of the night, you'd probably be at more risk than if you lived above 21st Street. Just take a cab from 31st street / 30 ave if it's really late, it'll probably be 5 bucks and there are always cabbies parking there because it's their hangout spot beside that coffee shop under the train. As far as amenities, you'll have anything you could possibly want on 30th Ave / Steinway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
That's a nice summation in general, but little help regarding the SPECIFIC spot she named!!!

@the OP,

I know the area, and greatly suspect the building you're considering.

That spot (and building) is a bit isolated (which is why they're having trouble renting it out); close to Public Housing (though any relative danger is more perception than reality); very close to a grade school.

There is little in the way of services in the immediate surrounding area. The spot is below 21st street, which is generally considered the boundary of easy walking distance to the subway (though there are those who walk it all the time, particularly residents of the housing project). There is a bus along 30th Avenue, but to my observation most folk walk rather than wait on the bus.

Everyone in the general area (including those all the way down in the housing project) do their shopping on 30th Avenue above and below the 30th Avenue subway. There you'll find two supermarkets (by NYC standards), Trade Fair and Key Food, as well as Rite Aid (drug store), all other service shops and restaurants.

Alternatively, there is a shopping plaza at 21st street and Broadway, where you'll find a supermarket, Associated, Post Office, Chase Bank, fast food, and a 24/7 dinner.

I suggest you do a little street view googling, and visit the area at night with a friend. Dark and very quiet!

Though the spot is a bit isolated, there are a few local benefits. If you like green spaces, the location, once you learn the way, is in short walking distance of a Costco (you can grocery shop there), three parks, Astoria (also near the water), Rainey, and Socrates Sculpture Garden (lots of summertime activity), a library, a pub, an Italian restaurant, and a local club:

Hell Gate Social

Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City