Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 06:56 PM

42 posts, read 99,836 times

Advertisements

That's my plan too -- drop everything and leave. I live only 4 miles from my current job right now and it's like a 10min drive, but I hate it and everything here is really boring.

LA is cool, I've gone up there for numerous gigs. It would probably be my 2nd or 3rd choice (along with frisco) to live in. But LA doesn't have that feel as NYC does, know what I mean? Lucky for you, you have a place to stay for free. If that was the case for me, I'd leave in a heartbeat. Only live once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 07:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,341 times
are we all in our 30s, interested in the entertainment industry from SD and wanting to move to NYC? haha

i hated LA everytime i used to drive through it to pick up parts while living in SD. but once i got to live in LA, i quickly learned to appreciate it more. as much as i want to relocate to NYC, if i had to stay in cali, i'd really have to move back to LA.

molocono, you're in the same boat as somnang and i where we don't really have much holding us back. (well, now, i have a father whose health has recently become poor.) as you say, you have nothing holding you back and the fact that you've an uncle, whom you can stay with, to your advantage. that right there is your chance. once it's passed, you either don't get another chance, or the possibility of another chance just becomes very slim. we could only hope for such an opportunity.

after everything, i see it as a life-experience.

Last edited by tallazzPilipino; 06-03-2010 at 08:05 PM..

Old 06-04-2010, 12:31 AM

749 posts, read 2,445,469 times
I wouldn't risk giving up a stable job in this economy just because you're itching to move to New York to try something new. You will have big regrets when you see how difficult it is to break into the New York market and compete against the best of the best in any given field. In my opinion it's really not worth that unnecessary risk if you're just acting on compulsion. At least secure a job first, then you won't have to run that risk of going bankrupt and regret quitting your current job. Also have you thought about having a social life outside of work? NY gets old really quick if you don't have close friends in the city, and believe me it's not easy to make new ones here. People are always so busy working or they usually have well established relationships. I've yet to meet anyone that has come here without knowing anyone and developed meaningful friendships. That's one blind leap of faith I would not take. A job is a different story. People often ignore the social life aspect of moving when it's actually more important than your work life. You will slowly realize how meaningless all the glamor and glitz of NY is when you don't have your basics taken care of. I'd suggest fighting the compulsion, taking a step back and really thoroughly evaluating the risk you're taking. I'm sure you will see that it makes more sense to stay in SD where you have family, friends and a great, stable career than taking such a drastic risk to move to a strange city where you will basically be starting from scratch. Moving at 30 is much different than moving at 22 where you have your 20s to experiment and have a greater tolerance for risk. I know I wouldn't want to drop everything at 30, spend a few years in NY and potentially not find anything, return to SD broke and at square one looking for a new job when I already had a good job and basically starting over again in my mid 30s. The only way you can avoid all of that is to secure a job before you move.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,341 times
^
take it from a man that's there. use it as hindsight. thanks for the tip, Biskit.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:27 PM

82 posts, read 315,113 times
Quote:
...but I also want to do it for the experience
You know, you don't need to live in a garbage can in order to know that it stinks. San Diego is a paradise compared to NYC. You are comfortable but not happy? Well, you will be both uncomfortable and unhappy. It's hard to find another big city in US as dirty, ugly, uncomfortable as NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City