Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 04:33 PM

11 posts, read 21,744 times

Advertisements

hello....

i am looking for some information. i am currently looking for a job in one of the five boroughs and hope to move this summer. one job is in zip code 10457 near third avenue. where is a good and safe place to live???

i will most likely keep my car, so i can drive to work. should i look at inwood??

i apprecaite all your help and might be on this site a lot as i interview and look for a job.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 04:46 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
That's not one of the better neighborhoods in The Bronx but there are plenty of decent neighborhoods either in other areas of The Bronx or Upper Manhattan.How much can can you pay for rent ? That will help.And are you planning on driving your car to work every day(not recommended) or will you be using public transportation ?

Philadelphia is only a little bigger than The Bronx and the overall crime rate in Philadelphia is a lot higher than The Bronx so you will have no problem finding a safer environment.

2009 murders per 100,000 people : Philadelphia 25.6,Bronx 13
2009 rapes " " : Philadelphia 69.5,Bronx 20.5
2009 robberies ' " : Philadelphia 684,Bronx 317
2009 burglaries " : Philadelphia 744,Bronx 279

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-01-2010 at 05:25 PM..

Old 06-01-2010, 07:25 PM

11 posts, read 21,744 times
i am looking to pay anywhere from 1200-1800 for rent.
i will have to drive if i get the job.

i am just looking for a nice and saf neighborhood to live in the city. my family in the city gave me an idea of a few places, but i thought i would ask on the board.
for as long as i have lived in philadelphia, i have never had a problem. i live on the outer fringes of the city in a nice quiet neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
That's not one of the better neighborhoods in The Bronx but there are plenty of decent neighborhoods either in other areas of The Bronx or Upper Manhattan.How much can can you pay for rent ? That will help.And are you planning on driving your car to work every day(not recommended) or will you be using public transportation ?

Philadelphia is only a little bigger than The Bronx and the overall crime rate in Philadelphia is a lot higher than The Bronx so you will have no problem finding a safer environment.

2009 murders per 100,000 people : Philadelphia 25.6,Bronx 13
2009 rapes " " : Philadelphia 69.5,Bronx 20.5
2009 robberies ' " : Philadelphia 684,Bronx 317
2009 burglaries " : Philadelphia 744,Bronx 279

Old 06-01-2010, 07:39 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
I would tend to avoid Inwood with a car, since you will have to pay extra for a garage, and you would want to be in the better part of Inwood, west of Broadway, closer to the parks. It can also be quite congested getting across the bridge at University Heights to get out of Inwood to The Bronx. Street parking exists, but it's not as plentiful, since you have to be careful about where you park. I would not park east of Broadway on the street, since some streets have higher than average crime, and vandalism to a car can occur.

I would look in The Bronx. Riverdale is easier for a vehicle owner, and is a nice neighborhood. Alternate-side regulations are one day only in most areas that have them in Riverdale, and you would likely be on your way to work when they come into effect. You can find street parking in areas of Riverdale, though it might be a couple of blocks to walk back to the apartment. You can also park in a garage, depending upon your car, and insurance rates. I would not park a very high-end car on the street, personally, but I have seen it done without any issue I know of, in Riverdale.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-02-2010, 07:07 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
If you work in the Bronx, you can live in the Bronx. If you don't work in the Bronx, you can live in the Bronx...really...over 1 million people live in the Bronx and survive...I think you can too. If you are seeking the stereotypical "safe" areas, look at Throggs Neck, Pelham Bay, Pelham Parkway, Bedford Park, Kingsbridge, Riverdale, Van Courtland Village, Woodlawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City