U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 12:49 AM

12 posts, read 19,679 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering what the job market is for technical jobs (specifically related to Electrical Engineering) in New York, and if there's any hope of finding an entry level job. I'm going to be a sophomore at UT Austin this coming semester but I know I want to move North and preferably to New York or Boston, which has always been my dream.

I don't live extravagantly, I take pleasure in the simple things of life, so making just enough to get by is fine with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 04:22 AM

2,256 posts, read 5,906,123 times
In the NYC area your best bet would be ConEd though I'm not sure they're hiring. Going out to the surrounding NYC area's within 1 hr of NYC are several large defense companies.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:10 AM

750 posts, read 2,129,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXfan1991 View Post
Just out of curiosity, I was wondering what the job market is for technical jobs (specifically related to Electrical Engineering) in New York, and if there's any hope of finding an entry level job. I'm going to be a sophomore at UT Austin this coming semester but I know I want to move North and preferably to New York or Boston, which has always been my dream.

I don't live extravagantly, I take pleasure in the simple things of life, so making just enough to get by is fine with me.
Or try some of the management, technology, or strategy consulting firms. 50% of the people at Accenture are engineering grads and they are hiring aggressively right now as business is starting to boom again after they laid off lots of people last year. Strategy firms like Mars and Co, Marakon Associates, Parthenon, Booz etc also hire a lot of engineering grads. At Accenture you could get an entry level analyst job for around $60K, which will allow you to live comfortably alone in the outer boroughs just 10 min from the city.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:22 AM

12 posts, read 25,297 times
Boston would be a better bet than NYC for a EE grad. What do you want to do in electrical engineering? Firms like Analog Devices, Texas Instruments, Intersil, Marvell, NXP, Oracle, and many hardware/software startup firms have offices or HQs in the Boston metro area.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:20 PM

I just finished freshman year, so I'm not really into the detailed stuff and I don't know exactly what I want to do yet, everything (except programming) seems really really interesting so far.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, please keep them coming! I know a lot can change between now and three years from now when I graduate, but I feel like the more familiar I am with the situation in the area over time, the less catching up I will have to do later on (always a good thing!)

Boston is number 2 on my list, followed by Chicago. I really want to live in a big city, if you can't tell!

Several of my professors mentioned that a lot of EE grads go into Patent Law careers, any idea how much of that is available?

Old 06-02-2010, 06:29 PM

Also, and please excuse my ignorance, around what area exactly do you mean when you say 'outer boroughs'? I suppose that's some lingo I'll need to get familiar with at some point or another.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:24 PM

2,296 posts, read 4,514,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXfan1991 View Post
Also, and please excuse my ignorance, around what area exactly do you mean when you say 'outer boroughs'? I suppose that's some lingo I'll need to get familiar with at some point or another.
NYC is comprised of 5 boroughs. When people say "outer boroughs" they are referring to the 4 areas outside of Manhattan (Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens and The Bronx).

My brother is an electrical engineer and he worked at one point in the Boston/Cambridge, Mass area and then in New Jersey before moving to the Silicon Valley. He recently mentioned that due to the economy, several engineers have relocated from SV to Texas.

I think you're job options as an electrical engineer in NYC are not going to be as plentiful as in these other places.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
NYC is comprised of 5 boroughs. When people say "outer boroughs" they are referring to the 4 areas outside of Manhattan (Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens and The Bronx).

My brother is an electrical engineer and he worked at one point in the Boston/Cambridge, Mass area and then in New Jersey before moving to the Silicon Valley. He recently mentioned that due to the economy, several engineers have relocated from SV to Texas.

I think you're job options as an electrical engineer in NYC are not going to be as plentiful as in these other places.
Ok, good to know! Since I'm in Texas now, I guess that's good to know as a fallback, but I really want to get somewhere up North...

Old 06-03-2010, 04:13 PM

12 posts, read 25,297 times
Patent law will require law school. That's 7 years away for your at the soonest, which is a long time from now. After you get you take the LSATs, graduate from college, graduate from law school, and pass the patent bar you'll have plenty of opportunities in NYC.

You also take the patent bar without going to law school and become a patent agent, which in salary terms would be significantly different $75K vs $100-300K figures.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:41 PM

147 posts, read 299,271 times
There are a decent amount of EE jobs in the city proper, however, if you're willing to commute a bit, there are a good number of engineering jobs throughout the metro area. Pay is generally higher than other areas in the country, but the COL is going to negate that and then some. What type of electrical engineering do you want to do? Design? Test Engineer? Power? Control Systems?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City