U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 05:20 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,860,810 times

Advertisements

Yeah, the only "real" Italians left are the elderly ones that play chess at the local parks in Bensonhurst. There's no more Irish neighborhoods left either.

I never been to Morris Park or Pelham Bay in the Bronx, but I heard they still had a good amount of Italians, and are decent areas. Once I get a car, I might check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 05:32 PM

8,389 posts, read 19,628,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Yeah, the only "real" Italians left are the elderly ones that play chess at the local parks in Bensonhurst. There's no more Irish neighborhoods left either.

I never been to Morris Park or Pelham Bay in the Bronx, but I heard they still had a good amount of Italians, and are decent areas. Once I get a car, I might check it out.
No,Woodlawn is most definitely still a very strong and overwhelmingly Irish neighborhood.And more new Irish are coming in every day ! It's amazing really.It's the last of the true Irish neighborhoods left.

Morris Park does still have a nice little real Italian neighborhood.

It sort of makes sense that the last of these neighborhoods would be in The Bx because the Bx has not been infiltrated (Americanized) as other places have.

You don't have to have a car to get to them. You could take the subway.

Last edited by bluedog2; 11-01-2011 at 05:52 PM..

Old 11-01-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
it has been the concensus that Wakefield (area between Mt vernon and Yonkers north of 233rd street) was heavily Italian before it changed

going back to the 70's and before, was EVERY SINGLE house in Wakefield italian, or could there be variations? For example, after Italian who was the next caucasian ethnic background that would predominate in the houses?

I mean especially the area around Baychester Ave between 241 street and 233rd street, the area around St Frances Of Rome (Pitman/236th/Barnes/Pitman), Bussing, Edenwald, Strang Avenues, etc
I think there was a fair number of Irish around there too.They were probably 2nd in numbers back in those days.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:01 PM

12,120 posts, read 27,537,106 times
a jamaican place i used to get lunch from on nereid Ave and Wickham Avenue used to be called Shaddock's back in the 70's I was told by someone who lived there

Is that an Irish name?

Old 11-01-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
a jamaican place i used to get lunch from on nereid Ave and Wickham Avenue used to be called Shaddock's back in the 70's I was told by someone who lived there

Is that an Irish name?
Not sure.Sounds more English(Anglo Saxon).

Old 11-01-2011, 08:08 PM

3,039 posts, read 5,733,294 times
I think what we're realizing whether we thought so before or not is that there are actually a number of italian areas left in this city scattered across the Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx and Manhattan areas and hold a solid presence in Staten Island though the Italian Americans in staten island do not preserve the culture the way those in the other boroughs do...

One thing that I hadn't noticed until recently was how many old-school Italians were in my neighborhood... Close to where I live Benny's deli on Fairview and Harman is an italian deli about a block away from two dominican delis and yet if you see the business it gets from the italian pop. in the neighborhood you'd be surprised same thing goes for anthony's deli on fresh pond rd. And then if you pass "La societta patrianna" or something like that on Forest and Palmetto you'll see alot of Italians from Italy that are still in the neighborhood ranging in age from 40s to 60s coming out of the place speaking sicilian or italian dilect all over the place... I know it's one of these two cause I took italian for five years and don't understand a word these guys say lol...

But it's nice to see that the pop. of Italians that keep their heritage strong hasn't completely died out... And on top of this I have seen some new Italians move into the area replacing some of the Polish folk that began moving in early 2000s... So who knows... maybe we'll have another little surge of italian folk move back to NYC in the coming years... While some are moving to different areas of the city and others are moving out, I've seen a number of italians move into my neighborhood recently as well along with mexicans and middle eastern folk...

Old 11-01-2011, 08:11 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,860,810 times
I remember this one Italian bar on Fresh Pond and Gates, it always had these old school Italians hanging out outside late at night.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:35 PM

3,039 posts, read 5,733,294 times
Is it Glenlo Tavern? Cause if it is I think it's still there...

Old 11-01-2011, 08:48 PM

why is it that Wakefield and Williamsbridge changed drastically, over time but everything from the LI Sound to the Bronx RIver Pkwy from Pelham Pkwy to E Tremont Avenue changed much more slowly over time and remained Italian for much longer?

is it because of the presence of Jacobi Hospital and prestigious Einstein medical Center, St Catherine's Academy, etc that prevented the areas from changing? could it be the drab flat terrain of the Wakefield and Williamsbridge area that made it less desirable?

Old 11-01-2011, 08:54 PM

to me Morris Park Avenue between Williamsbridge Rd and Bronxdale Avenue is like Johnson Avenue between 232nd and 238th streets in Riverdale--Italian vs Jewish cultural commercial strips

would you tend to agree or would you say they can't be compared?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City