U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 10:08 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,858,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Is it Glenlo Tavern? Cause if it is I think it's still there...
It's between Palmetto and Gates, it's called the European Coffee Bar.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 10:40 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,294,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The only true Italian areas left in NYC is probably Howard Beach which is surroneded by Brooklyn and Queens African American Neigborhoods and Staten Island.
The Queens neighborhoods surrounding Howard Beach aren't Black neighborhoods. They're actually pretty diverse, though more on the Hispanic side.

Ozone Park used to be an Italian neighborhood, but I found on the Census map that they are more Asian now (probably a more extreme version of what happened in Bensonhurst)

Staten Island still has plenty of Italians, though most of them are Italian-American, not actual Italians. The further south you go, the more you'll find, but even on the North Shore in areas like Mariners' Harbor that are predominantly Hispanic and Black, you'll still find a decent number of Italian-Americans.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:44 PM

3,039 posts, read 5,732,342 times
The asian population in Bensonhurst is more Chinese/Korean but it still has a significant white population while in Ozone park the asians are of Indian descent (alot of west indians from Guyana) and other middle eastern areas... Ozone Park also has a very large hispanic population... I actually thought that the hispanic population was by far the dominant group in Ozone Park but I guess it is slightly more asian than hispanic... The white population around there is nearly non-existant... It's somewhere around 10-15%...

Old 11-02-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
The asian population in Bensonhurst is more Chinese/Korean but it still has a significant white population while in Ozone park the asians are of Indian descent (alot of west indians from Guyana) and other middle eastern areas... Ozone Park also has a very large hispanic population... I actually thought that the hispanic population was by far the dominant group in Ozone Park but I guess it is slightly more asian than hispanic... The white population around there is nearly non-existant... It's somewhere around 10-15%...
I don't think it's that low, but the only section of Ozone Park that still has a significant white population is the southern sections near Howard Beach around Cross Bay Boulevard. There's some other whites here and there but Asians and hispanics are both larger.

Funny, according to the 2010 census, hispanics are declining in Richmond Hill. I wonder why.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:11 AM

2,868 posts, read 4,040,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I scoured Staten Island looking for Italian culture and found none ! They don't even pronounce the vowels at the ends of Italian words like MozzarellA and prosciuttO
That's because the Italian Americans on Staten Island are too many generations removed from their Italian original culture.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:12 AM

2,868 posts, read 4,040,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
Dyker Heights have a lot of italians. Brooklyn use to have more but a lot of them moved away.
When the Verrazano opened in 1964 that's when the Italian migration started to Staten Island.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
That's because the Italian Americans on Staten Island are too many generations removed from their Italian original culture.
Exactly, just look at Vinny & Angelina in Jersey Shore.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:18 PM

2,591 posts, read 3,374,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
The only problem with all these very nice and safe neighborhoods is that you have a very difficult time finding anyone who actually can carry on a conversation in Italian.A few words and phrases maybe but that's about it for the most part.
Very true! And not only the language - the cultural difference between Italians and Italian Americans is striking to say the least (can you imagine Staten Island as it's own country)?

Old 11-02-2011, 07:58 PM

84 posts, read 193,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfesteez View Post
wtf iz belmont bx ???? if u mean the arthur av area u obviosly never been there before - that is a strictly puerto rican and blak area no italians have lived around there n years . morris park / peham bay are 50% italian . bensonhurst bay ridge whitestone and howard beach are the only real italian hoods left in nyc ...... i cant speak for staten i dont kno that boro
No it isn't Arthur Avenue has real Italian owned businesses, there are plenty of Italian families living in the area. It is heavily PR, DR and Mexican. There aren't that many blacks. Anyway Morris Park, Pelham, I think Country Club and Throggs Neck have nice Italian populations in the Bronx. In Queens there's Howard Beach, Ozone Park and Middle Village and in Brooklyn you have Bensonhurst, Bay Ridge and Dyker Heights. Staten Island is very Italian. New York use to be heavily Italian, Irish and Jewish a few decades ago and the whole blue collar feeling was still felt 20 years ago don't know what happened though. Can anyone describe Little Italy in Manhattan a lot of people say its fake never been there though.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:34 PM

661 posts, read 1,000,503 times
Alot of Italians that used to live in the city are out on the Island now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City