U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 12:35 PM

960 posts, read 1,962,553 times

Advertisements

If you are visiting New York, and want to pick up the latest in men's or women's clothing and shoewear, there are two areas you must visit!

The first is 34th Street between 8th & Lexington Avenues. This is the home of Macy's 34th Street and many trendy boutiques. It also has a recently added public court on Broadway that allows you to cool your heals and have a bite to eat before jumping back into your shopping marathon:

http://stylepeterson.com/new-york/34th-street-2.jpg (broken link)

The second hot shopping district and admittedly, the newest and trendiest is on Broadway in the Soho district downtown. You will find many of the world's top designers setting up shop here including Prada and Armani, along with a mix of the latest fashions and fads in every price range:

http://stylepeterson.com/new-york/soho-nyc.jpg (broken link)

Of the two areas, 34th Street is great for discounted and budget priced fashion, Soho is the place for the trendiest fashion with a more European flair, and prices to match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Status: "I have "a thing" for duplex apartments" (set 1 day ago)

19,306 posts, read 32,774,221 times
no 5th avenue?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-02-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
no 5th avenue?
Call me ignorant . . . Growing up and working in NYC, I have never shopped, nor ever thought about shopping on Fifth Avenue. To my mind, Fifth Avenue was Brooks Brothers and custom shirtmakers and high priced sensible shoes. Today it is overpriced stores for those who want a fancy shopping bag that tells everyone how much they spent. It was not fashion for the working joe. It was a great place for window shopping. However, I would purchase my bargain priced Italian suits at small downtown or 34th Street shops that were kinder to my wallet. In my younger days Alexander Dept. Stores (remember them) had beautiful Italian wool suits that looked just as good as what the snooty shops on Fifth Ave, were selling. So that's where I went. Now, truth be told, you can get the best clothing bargains on ebay!

Old 06-02-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post
Call me ignorant . . . Growing up and working in NYC, I have never shopped, nor ever thought about shopping on Fifth Avenue. To my mind, Fifth Avenue was Brooks Brothers and custom shirtmakers and high priced sensible shoes. Today it is overpriced stores for those who want a fancy shopping bag that tells everyone how much they spent. It was not fashion for the working joe. It was a great place for window shopping. However, I would purchase my bargain priced Italian suits at small downtown or 34th Street shops that were kinder to my wallet. In my younger days Alexander Dept. Stores (remember them) had beautiful Italian wool suits that looked just as good as what the snooty shops on Fifth Ave, were selling. So that's where I went. Now, truth be told, you can get the best clothing bargains on ebay!
yeah i remember alexanders...but the OP mentioned soho which can also get very expensive shopping...i know in my lifetime i have shopped in soho and fifth avenue and ended the day a couple thousand lighter in the wallet. so i cant see soho mentioned and not 5th ave.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovenewyork. View Post
Gucci, Prada, Dior, Dior Homme, YSL, Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Giorgio Armani, Fendi, Versace, etc. are all inferior clothing for people who just want to show off? Not to mention department stores like Saks and Bergdorf Goodman?

I don't think so. Those aforementioned labels are amongst the most innovative.

5th Avenue is still the country's premier shopping destination. Followed by Madison Avenue. Then SoHo.
wow how could i have forgotten madison avenue...my apologies.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:35 PM

Now I am not saying that you don't have great labels on 5th and Madison. Those are the greatest names in the business. However, as a New Yorker with champagne tastes and a beer budget, I learned how to get the insiders discount. I've purchased Zegna and Armani suits for $75-200.00 and never paid more than $15.00 my 100% cotton dress shirts. How? There was a small shop in soho for years that sold gently used top designer label suits for a fraction of the original cost. A little quality tailoring and they would look fabulous. I own suits that are more than twelve years old and look brand new. I also knew where to go for all the end of season and sample sales in the fashion district showrooms. I knew how to work the thrift shops with the best designer clothing. But then again, I'm the same guy who flew from New York to Paris round trip once a year for four years in a row and never paid more than $160.00 roundtrip for the flight. Those types of bargains can still be found in NYC if you are a shrewd shopper and do your homework.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:16 AM

84 posts, read 257,097 times
Do you know of a good suit shop that is still open today? We are arriving in NYC on June 15 and my husband will need a nice suit shortly after - for interviews and such. He's got 2 now, but they are starting to show their age. It doesn't have to be top of the line, but more mid-range...unless we can get that Armani for $200 or less!! Any suggestions?

Old 06-03-2010, 10:11 AM

10,756 posts, read 25,565,130 times
I would try SYMS for a decent suit at a good price. There's a location on Park Avenue at 54th Street, and another on Trinity Place. You can find labels like Hickey Freeman, under $500 at SYMS, that are easily $1000+ off retail -- if they have the size/color you need. They also have some decent suits in the $200-$300 range that are around $500-$800 retail.

Some people have luck with Filene's Basement, too, which is on 6th between 18th and 19th. And, of course, Century 21 is a destination, as well, but the Lower Manhattan location can be overrun with tourists.

If you don't mind a trip to Woodbury Common, there are several outlets that might be worth checking, including: Brooks Brothers, Hickey Freeman, Ralph Lauren, Hugo Boss, Vineyard Vines, Saks, and Neiman Marcus.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-03-2010, 02:09 PM

84 posts, read 257,097 times
Thank you bmwguydc! I had completely forgotten about Filene's and Century 21, and haven't ever heard of SYMS. I think the outlets will be too far since we won't have a car.

These 3 give us great options.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:57 PM

747 posts, read 2,212,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post
Now I am not saying that you don't have great labels on 5th and Madison. Those are the greatest names in the business. However, as a New Yorker with champagne tastes and a beer budget, I learned how to get the insiders discount. I've purchased Zegna and Armani suits for $75-200.00 and never paid more than $15.00 my 100% cotton dress shirts. How? There was a small shop in soho for years that sold gently used top designer label suits for a fraction of the original cost. A little quality tailoring and they would look fabulous. I own suits that are more than twelve years old and look brand new. I also knew where to go for all the end of season and sample sales in the fashion district showrooms. I knew how to work the thrift shops with the best designer clothing. But then again, I'm the same guy who flew from New York to Paris round trip once a year for four years in a row and never paid more than $160.00 roundtrip for the flight. Those types of bargains can still be found in NYC if you are a shrewd shopper and do your homework.
If you know any worthwhile secrets or tips, post them up. Otherwise this thread is a joke. You start a thread on 'Fashion in NYC' and all you came up with in the OP was basically Macy's and Soho

And "34th St between 8th & Lex" isn't even a particular spot. It's almost the entire breadth of the city on one of the most commercial streets in the city. And again, if you know any particularly good boutiques, list them by name and/or location. But 34th st, especially on the west side, is mostly big chains like Foot Lockers, The Gap, etc. and random tourist traps for Penn Station disembarkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or