U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 01:33 PM

93 posts, read 319,758 times

Advertisements

I recently moved into Manhattan and commute to Greenwich for work. I purchased a monthly Metro North ticket as well as a 30 day unlimited metrocard bc I didn't have time to order it online.

I looked online today, specifically at Mail & Ride, and it mentions the monthly Metro North ticket plus "$89 unlimited monthly metrocard". Now, I know the $89 unlimited is usually a 30 day card. For example, if I purchased mine yesterday (6/1), the last day it's usable would be 6/30. For 31 day months, if I do the Mail & Ride, will my metrocard work from the 1st through the 31st, or will I be stuck with no metrocard on the 31st?

Also, Mail & Ride looks to be the best option for both. I purchased mine yesterday, and it was $237 for MNR and $89 for Metrocard = $326, plus I now have two cards. I can't decide if I prefer this, or would rather use the back of my train pass as my metrocard. It seems more convenient, but if I lose it (I shouldnt, but it could happen) then I lose both. Is there anything you can do if you lose a train pass/metrocard, aside from buy another?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 01:52 PM

21,199 posts, read 20,112,421 times
I can only answer as to the metrocard. The monthly unlimited metrocard is not set for particular months. It works for 30 days - any 30 days - in a row. If you start it on the 6th of the month - it is activated from that date. It's not like the metro north montly cards where it is only good for that particular month. So - you can start using the next months metro card when your current one expires - even if it is the 31st of the month. By the end of the year, you might be a few days off - but then again, your Feb metrocard will last you a few days longer than the month!

Old 06-02-2010, 03:21 PM

93 posts, read 319,758 times
So toward the end of a month, would I need to carry two train passes, if I use the metrocard on the back?

Old 01-05-2011, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 6,158 times
Actually, I called MetroNorth about this exact issue today. They have said that, even though this MetroCard option is priced exactly the same as the 30-day unlimited ride metrocard, it is not exactly the same thing. Specifically, when the unlimited ride MetroCard is combined with the monthly Metro-North monthly pass, the MetroCard is valid for the entire month the same as the MetroNorth pass. The purpose of this rule is to provide a special convenience for Metro North monthly passholders.

However, if this is true, it has several implications:

(1) You can't use this unlimited ride MetroCard before the 1st of the month of the MetroNorth pass that it has been combined with.

(2) The unlimited ride may be valid for 28,29,30, or 31 days, depending on the size of the month (my concern was about February, and they are saying it will only be good for 28 days because of this rule.

(3) If you don't start using the unlimited ride on the 1st of the month, you will lose the days anyway.

This is my first time buying a pass like this, so I don't know any better than to believe the representative that told me this. I would have liked to begin using my February's unlimited ride Metrocard on Jan. 31, but supposedly it will be rejected before Feb. 1. I guess I'll have to try and see...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City